Re: Ammo availability

Depends. Lots of 9mm and 5.56 out there. Some .45 ACP and .22LR but neither has returned to acceptable prices. I've restocked recently - not brands I used to buy, but the cheapest available at the time. Picked up some Winchester .45 hardball at .70/rd because that's the best price going around here, and I wanted to restock what I shot since last summer.

In .22LR - LGS advertised the Federal Black Pack at .05/rd and I ran down lickety-split, but apparently the ad was in error because they didn't have any in at the one location they claimed they did. So it's more Winchester at .20/rd in 'Silvertip' - not something I've seen advertised in the past, but seems comparable to Velocitors in fps for the rated barrel length. Have yet to try 'em, but Velocitors are my favorite. Also picked up a couple hundred in Norma and a 400 pack of Browning - at a stupid price that I regret but it was the only way to buy in bulk a month ago, and so far it's been flawless.

Oh dear. I just looked at the Underwood site. They have .45 Colt back in stock. I have a Blackhawk that needs fed. I might need to sleep on this.

lurker wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:58 am yes, it's getting better. some vendors are still trying to price-gouge. i shun them.
Funny that most online places were $.65-$.70 per for 9mm not long ago..now at $.32 or so. Still more than pre covid but much better..I doubt 9mm will get much below $.30 per...HIGH demand, not great supply..

lurker wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:30 am right now is not a good time, but after things settle down in 6 months or a year you might want to consider getting into reloading. you don't have to spend a thousand or so, you can get started for a couple of hundred. i'm told it's a better investment than booze and floozies...
Lies. That just isn't possible.

But yeah, sure, eventually. Obviously not with .22, but otherwise it's inevitable. Most 9mm is around .50 a pop here, even the Tula.

I want to hold off even with prices dropping. I've heard too many stories about bad loads coming out of this whole mess. The production was ramped up in a haphazard way and I don't want to be shooting squibs. I value my safety above all else, and until this mess settles itself down, I'll just keep working through small current stock.

wings wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:59 pm Depends. Lots of 9mm and 5.56 out there. Some .45 ACP and .22LR but neither has returned to acceptable prices. I've restocked recently - not brands I used to buy, but the cheapest available at the time. Picked up some Winchester .45 hardball at .70/rd because that's the best price going around here, and I wanted to restock what I shot since last summer.

In .22LR - LGS advertised the Federal Black Pack at .05/rd and I ran down lickety-split, but apparently the ad was in error because they didn't have any in at the one location they claimed they did. So it's more Winchester at .20/rd in 'Silvertip' - not something I've seen advertised in the past, but seems comparable to Velocitors in fps for the rated barrel length. Have yet to try 'em, but Velocitors are my favorite. Also picked up a couple hundred in Norma and a 400 pack of Browning - at a stupid price that I regret but it was the only way to buy in bulk a month ago, and so far it's been flawless.

Oh dear. I just looked at the Underwood site. They have .45 Colt back in stock. I have a Blackhawk that needs fed. I might need to sleep on this.
I would trust Underwood. I talked to them a few times early on in this and their attitude then was "this too shall pass".

They didn't change their business model much, and just let stuff go out of stock. I don't know much about their backstory, but they seemed to be prepared to weather this storm for whatever reason.

I haven’t looked for awhile, but I was able to get 9X19 mm several weeks ago for around $15 for a box of 50 (Winchester White Box). I have also been reloading 9mm for the first time in years, although it is slow on a single stage press (I keep dragging my heels on getting a progressive press).

Things are starting to get better, fortunately. We still have some way to go, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

I thought about going shooting today for the first time since the pandemic but the weather was SO gorgeous I decided to go bicycling instead
81°, sunny, with a nice, cooling breeze! Hate to say it, as it's sacrilege, but it was the right choice. Gotta keep this 66 year old bod moving!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

wings wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:06 pm Don't you owe us a range report on a revolver, YT? :)
Absotively! I just have to find the right time to take few hours. A Targus Tracker Convertible: .357/.38 and 9mm. Haven't fired it yet.
Plus I REALLY want to shoot the Marlin lever, and....Hell! I want to shoot all four hand guns and all 4 rifles!

But the Targus comes first.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

7N6Wolf wrote:I haven’t looked for awhile, but I was able to get 9X19 mm several weeks ago for around $15 for a box of 50 (Winchester White Box). I have also been reloading 9mm for the first time in years, although it is slow on a single stage press (I keep dragging my heels on getting a progressive press).

Things are starting to get better, fortunately. We still have some way to go, though.

That’s my “buy” point for 9mm ($15 - .30pr) - though I haven’t seen it locally for under $25/ box. 9mm is the only caliber I shoot that I’m not set up to load & I really don’t want to load it. I never sacrificing my small pistol primers away from my beloved .38s & .357s …

I reload 5.56; but again I really don’t like loading it as it is a bit more of a pita than the straight wall pistol cartridges that I normally load. And, I don’t shoot it as often as my pistols and carbines … I do have a decent amount of components on hand - but not my preferred powder. Again, $6/20 is my buy point and it’s still $10/ box around here.