Nagant M1895 revolver SA/DA mechanism movement and misc

Since there’s been some discussion of the Nagant M1895 I thought I’d start a new thread. Some of the earlier ones no longer have pictures. Shame. So here’s my 1926 Tula CCCP vintage. Here’s a few pics showing the cylinder movement and a video.
DE8A4086-4E07-4D10-AC20-0FF0ECBA28E4.jpeg
D1CF1287-0D2A-481E-97B3-C94D0330ADAF.jpeg
And video:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Nagant M1895 revolver SA/DA mechanism movement and misc

cooper wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:36 am Thanks for relocating this. So, anyone know why the cylinder seal concept is not commonly used?
I suspect the gains were not significant enough and newer handgun design concepts were coming out. The benefits were probably not recognized early enough to warrant other designers to play with it. Mostly I think revolvers were simply at the end of their design potential. Magazine fed handguns offered more potential and faster operation.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Nagant M1895 revolver SA/DA mechanism movement and misc

I've always been curious about the Nagant round's real world/wartime effectiveness. It's not like we are going to get any data out of pre-WWII USSR... and not likely to be a "carry' gun for most people.

.30 isn't obviously associated as an effective pistol caliber. On paper the standard load is right around a standard .38 SPL @ 250 fpe but once you get to the .38 +P you are well over 300FPE. I know there is a whole sub-culture of .32 H&R & .327 mag aficionados out there, but those rounds have never enticed me away from .38/.357 that i have standardized on.

The appeal of m1895 is a certain "old world charm" of the types of guns designed by the Nagant brothers in Belgium.