Thoughts on S&W Model 49 snubby

What’s y’all’s thoughts on a Smith & Wesson Model 49 snubby? Dreaming and just passing time looking. I find it rather ugly, but it seems to have practical features, a protected hammer for one.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
1333C77F-196C-4AEE-BA2E-2E1A6F5EB9AA.jpeg

Re: Thoughts on S&W Model 49 snubby

I have always wanted to add one but never got around to it. But it's also indelibly linked to the Eddie Adams photo. The 42's are even better when it comes to protecting the hammer so I've ended up with a couple of those.

Odds are I'll add a Bodyguard one day.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:18 am I have always wanted to add one but never got around to it. But it's also indelibly linked to the Eddie Adams photo. The 42's are even better when it comes to protecting the hammer so I've ended up with a couple of those.

Odds are I'll add a Bodyguard one day.
Those are concealed hammers, right? Double action only?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sig230 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:26 am Yes, DAO. The Bodyguard does have the little hammer thingie but honestly I can't ever remember shooting any of my snubbies (and I do like my snubbies) single action.
I find it an interesting compromise in concealing the hammer and allowing for both SA/DA. Are those also 5 round capacity like the Model 49?

Yes, 5 round. And yes, it's an interesting compromise but not without so pretty serious drawbacks. One is that the slot in the humpback is a great place to store lint and cat hair and humus and other inorganic substances but also one that's fairly hard to clean out.

But remember, the Bodyguard has been around for over 60 years now in pretty much the exact same design and functionality so there really aren't any major problems with it.
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:41 am Yes, 5 round. And yes, it's an interesting compromise but not without so pretty serious drawbacks. One is that the slot in the humpback is a great place to store lint and cat hair and humus and other inorganic substances but also one that's fairly hard to clean out.

But remember, the Bodyguard has been around for over 60 years now in pretty much the exact same design and functionality so there really aren't any major problems with it.
I find the hump ugly, but I’m strangely drawn to it. LoL.

The camel hump is certainly an acquired taste. But it is a cool feature to retain the SA ability as a range toy while giving the option to deep-conceal carry the snubby.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

sikacz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:21 pm This is a silly question, but seems like the prices on these have jumped up? I've seen prices between $350 to $500 from six years ago. Now they seem higher if available.
In my recent quest for a new snubby I was seeing prices on all of the Rugers and S&Ws several hundred dollars over what they had been even in the past few years...LCRs going for $800 on gunbroker! I knew the model I was looking for so I would just search wikiarms every few days to see if any online dealers had them in stock, and one day it popped up at regular pricing (below msrp) so I jumped on it, and it was sold out the next day. But it took a few months of patient waiting.

keenanmj85 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:37 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:21 pm This is a silly question, but seems like the prices on these have jumped up? I've seen prices between $350 to $500 from six years ago. Now they seem higher if available.
In my recent quest for a new snubby I was seeing prices on all of the Rugers and S&Ws several hundred dollars over what they had been even in the past few years...LCRs going for $800 on gunbroker! I knew the model I was looking for so I would just search wikiarms every few days to see if any online dealers had them in stock, and one day it popped up at regular pricing (below msrp) so I jumped on it, and it was sold out the next day. But it took a few months of patient waiting.
This is about how I figured it. LoL. Not that I need another gun. I have been thinking of a carry piece though. I suspect a hunk of iron like this would be useable even at near 60 years.

sikacz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:48 pm
This is about how I figured it. LoL. Not that I need another gun. I have been thinking of a carry piece though. I suspect a hunk of iron like this would be useable even at near 60 years.
In the picture of the Centennials the Lemon Squeezer was made in 1957 and my Chiefs Special was made in 1955 so 64 and 66 years old and functioning jess fine.
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:42 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:48 pm
In the picture of the Centennials the Lemon Squeezer was made in 1957 and my Chiefs Special was made in 1955 so 64 and 66 years old and functioning jess fine.
Old is good! Still look nice and utilitarian. Can’t see much going wrong with them that a new spring or whatever wouldn’t fix. I’ve had Grant Cunningham’s snubnose book on my night table for light reading for about a year or so. LoL. I’ve avoided the idea of snubnose revolvers since I couldn’t hit a barn door with one of those feather weight variants with a hot load! LoL.

Well, I've never been threatened too much by any barn doors though although J-Trump did look me in the eye and step on my foot once when I was trying to help lead him up the ramp into a trailer.

Remember that these are BBD handguns designed to be shot held close to your body at a target not much more than arms length away. Hot loads are less important than rapid repeatable hits in a pie plate three to ten feet away when you are under stress. If a hot load is going to make return to point of aim difficult is it going to help? I've never carried any "hot" or +p 38 specials in my snubbies and most often the carry load is in fact wadcutters.
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:09 pm Well, I've never been threatened too much by any barn doors though although J-Trump did look me in the eye and step on my foot once when I was trying to help lead him up the ramp into a trailer.

Remember that these are BBD handguns designed to be shot held close to your body at a target not much more than arms length away. Hot loads are less important than rapid repeatable hits in a pie plate three to ten feet away when you are under stress. If a hot load is going to make return to point of aim difficult is it going to help? I've never carried any "hot" or +p 38 specials in my snubbies and most often the carry load is in fact wadcutters.
It was one of The LGC yearly meets. The target wasn’t far, I didn’t really know how to shoot a snubnose. It was a friendly competition with purposefully hot load. I believe Marlene won that competition.

I like the plain .38 Special loads in our K38. Where are you finding wadcutters?

sikacz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:25 pm I like the plain .38 Special loads in our K38. Where are you finding wadcutters?
I haven't had to look in ages. I used to try to keep stock on hand and since it's been about a year since I last even loaded one of my snubbies I haven't had to search.
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:39 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:25 pm I like the plain .38 Special loads in our K38. Where are you finding wadcutters?
I haven't had to look in ages. I used to try to keep stock on hand and since it's been about a year since I last even loaded one of my snubbies I haven't had to search.
I haven’t looked in a year either. Looks like .38 Special is available at a few internet sellers, but still at a premium.

Well I bought the "ugly hunchback"! Might take a week or two before it arrives at my local Cabela's in the Houston area. Best part, it was al covered by my bonus point. That's like getting a gun free! A few downloaded pics.
Overall top 7.png
Overall left 2.png
Comes with original box, papers, and original owners concealed carry. LoL

Bisbee wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:32 pm The camel hump is certainly an acquired taste. But it is a cool feature to retain the SA ability as a range toy while giving the option to deep-conceal carry the snubby.
I thought so too! The "ugly" part is growing on me. :love: Well I think my ugly Nagant M1895 is beautiful oo. :whistle:

keenanmj85 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:38 pm Nice! I'll be curious to hear about the shrouded hammer. Seems like a nice combination of avoiding snags with still allowing for single action, but I have never messed around with one and would be curious about how easy (or not) it is to use or if you mainly default to double action
I'll definetely test it out both ways and of course will report back. The functional part, allowing SA/DA really is somethin I prefer in a gun. Not sure if I'll prefer the stock grips or if I'll invest in something nice with a better mass to grip.