Re: Thoughts on S&W Model 49 snubby

sig230 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:57 am Here is the pocket holster from Lou Alessi for my "J" frame and similar snubbies. It is designed to be used in either pocket.
Thanks. Just started a pocket holster thread in the gear section. LoL. Does it come with sticker shock? LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

It certainly is a carry gun and little more. That top-strap is the most delicate part relative to everything else I imagine. (Kinda cute that your .22lr revolver actually has a thicker top-strap.) No +P for that pretty little thang.

Have you taken the cover off to lube the innards? That would likely smooth out (and possibly lighten) the DA pull considerably. Old grease, like certain gun folks, tends to get a little crusty.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:41 pm It certainly is a carry gun and little more. That top-strap is the most delicate part relative to everything else I imagine. (Kinda cute that your .22lr revolver actually has a thicker top-strap.) No +P for that pretty little thang.

Have you taken the cover off to lube the innards? That would likely smooth out (and possibly lighten) the DA pull considerably. Old grease, like certain gun folks, tends to get a little crusty.
Trigger seemed fine. I wasn't planning on taking it that far at this point. I'd rather shoot it a few times. I can always spray it with one of those wonder cleaners and the squirt lube in. But for now I thought I would let it be. Yes, I'm not planning on any +P loads, this gun is frightenly dainty.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
B2598F69-ABD6-4DEC-B865-73B918FBE1F4.jpeg

Ah don’t be a wimp! Give that handle a few really good whacks with a plastic mallet. It won’t hurt it. That cover likely hasn’t been off since your kids went to first grade.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:39 pm Ah don’t be a wimp! Give that handle a few really good whacks with a plastic mallet. It won’t hurt it. That cover likely hasn’t been off since your kids went to first grade.
I’ll do it after the first range trip! LoL.

I’ve tested the pull on the little 49. SA is around 3 lbs 5.9 ounces and DA is around 11 lbs 10.0 ounces
600C7AFB-F7D2-4AB5-B77A-E9313B50709D.jpeg
A6306FC4-3FEA-4D3A-922D-CCE1C4C6D803.jpeg
Not bad. I might be thinking of a spring kit to reduce the pull a bit. I think Wilson Combat makes one at around $9.

sig230 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:41 am Yes, 5 round. And yes, it's an interesting compromise but not without so pretty serious drawbacks. One is that the slot in the humpback is a great place to store lint and cat hair and humus and other inorganic substances but also one that's fairly hard to clean out.
So I pocket carried one for about a year, and I learned that wasn't nearly as much of an issue as I thought it would be. It took 6 months to build up enough lint that I felt I should address the issue. Of course I test fired it with a lot of lint in there, and it shot just fine; no discernable difference in DA action.

So I just blew it all out with compressed air, and the anal side of me just insisted I pull the side plate to see how much lint made it under the sideplate, and it was surprisingly almost none.

Years later I did a pretty concerted study with my S&W 431 (Airweight J frame 6 shot .32 H&R). I actually pocket carried it for 3 years with absolutely no maintenance. During that time, I put a few boxes of ammo through it, and didn't clean it; just went right back into the pocket. After 3 years the revolver just looked like hell, but it worked perfectly.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

sikacz wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:41 am I’ve carried it some, but need to shoot it more. I’m thinking also of getting another set of grips. Suggestions welcome. I generally like wood, but might consider rubber.
When I carried mine (model 38), I used the old school factory grips with a Tyler T-Grip and that worked very well for me. The Hogue "boot style" grip gives a feel quite similar to factory grips with a T-Grip, just a little smaller and a bit softer. Honestly, even though there were a little small for me, I kinda settled on the Hogue. Yeah they're butt-ugly, but for me they really did take some of the pain out of shooing +P's in an LW J frame.

If I had that exact revolver you have, I would add a T-grip, and call it good. Gives you a good feel in the hand, still looks very good with that classic revolver.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:20 am
sig230 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:41 am Yes, 5 round. And yes, it's an interesting compromise but not without so pretty serious drawbacks. One is that the slot in the humpback is a great place to store lint and cat hair and humus and other inorganic substances but also one that's fairly hard to clean out.
So I pocket carried one for about a year, and I learned that wasn't nearly as much of an issue as I thought it would be. It took 6 months to build up enough lint that I felt I should address the issue. Of course I test fired it with a lot of lint in there, and it shot just fine; no discernable difference in DA action.

So I just blew it all out with compressed air, and the anal side of me just insisted I pull the side plate to see how much lint made it under the sideplate, and it was surprisingly almost none.

Years later I did a pretty concerted study with my S&W 431 (Airweight J frame 6 shot .32 H&R). I actually pocket carried it for 3 years with absolutely no maintenance. During that time, I put a few boxes of ammo through it, and didn't clean it; just went right back into the pocket. After 3 years the revolver just looked like hell, but it worked perfectly.
Yeah, the lint thing isn’t a major concern of mine either. I’m looking for another cousin of this one, a model 649 in 357 magnum if it comes available. I’m very hesitant about considering the 638 which is the “Airweight”. I’ve carried the all steel 49 enough to know the weight won’t bother me a bit. This type of gun is easy to carry for me, usually in a pocket holster.

FrontSight wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:32 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:41 am I’ve carried it some, but need to shoot it more. I’m thinking also of getting another set of grips. Suggestions welcome. I generally like wood, but might consider rubber.
When I carried mine (model 38), I used the old school factory grips with a Tyler T-Grip and that worked very well for me. The Hogue "boot style" grip gives a feel quite similar to factory grips with a T-Grip, just a little smaller and a bit softer. Honestly, even though there were a little small for me, I kinda settled on the Hogue. Yeah they're butt-ugly, but for me they really did take some of the pain out of shooing +P's in an LW J frame.

If I had that exact revolver you have, I would add a T-grip, and call it good. Gives you a good feel in the hand, still looks very good with that classic revolver.
I’ll consider the T-grip. It doesn’t require any modding, does it?

No modification to the gun, it's held in place by your grips and you'll be astounded at how well it stays in place. There's a catch with T-Grips.

If you find one used in Ebay, it will be expensive. If you decide to buy from Tyler online, just know this... The originator has long died. The son is running the business and he does a couple of batches per year. So you pre-pay, and you wait months for your T-grips. Oh, and he only takes a check or money order, no online transactions. Which is why most prefer to just buy one on Ebay...which is where I get mine.

My J frame is a 1980's model 60, 38 Special. Before that, I had a model 36.
Some boot grips work for me, some don't. Uncle Mike's (out of production) work fine. Hogue wood boot grips look really nice but are not comfortable to shoot with warm loads, for me.
Bigger Uncle Mike's work great, but they're bigger. The extra size makes a difference in accuracy, and recoil control. Looking at S&W's website, the grips on the model 317 look just like the Uncle Mike's. I think the Hogue rubber monogrip would work well for me, but I haven't tried it.
Any bigger grip, including boot grips, can make a big improvement in the shootability of a J frame, compared to the little stock grips.
With both my J frames, I've shot +P loads whenever I felt like it, and that's what I carry. No problems at all.

FrontSight wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:47 am No modification to the gun, it's held in place by your grips and you'll be astounded at how well it stays in place. There's a catch with T-Grips.

If you find one used in Ebay, it will be expensive. If you decide to buy from Tyler online, just know this... The originator has long died. The son is running the business and he does a couple of batches per year. So you pre-pay, and you wait months for your T-grips. Oh, and he only takes a check or money order, no online transactions. Which is why most prefer to just buy one on Ebay...which is where I get mine.
I noticed ebay prices are a bit high. There's a "knock-off" similar to Tyler's Grips for under $30. The used Tyler's are from around $80 up and in the $120 range.

I read through the thread and paid attention to the 2022 posts.

These kinds of snubbies are designed for point and shoot without aiming. I would advise range time to be spent pointing and shooting with this weapon. You don't aim. You point and shoot. .38 or .357 really does not matter if you can point and shoot the thoracic triangle every time. A snubbie has only one purpose, and that should be practiced, For competition and so on, use another gun. This one has only one purpose.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

sikacz wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:42 pm I noticed ebay prices are a bit high. There's a "knock-off" similar to Tyler's Grips for under $30. The used Tyler's are from around $80 up and in the $120 range.
I forgot about that outfit. I think they're doing injection molding of plastic, but the end result looks like a great T-Grip knock off. Yeah, I'd certainly give that one a try before dipping deep into the pocket for the real deal. The one's I have seen look nice, but I have never actually tried them. Mostly because they don't make them for Colts' as of yet; and all but one of my revolvers are Colt.

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:18 pm I read through the thread and paid attention to the 2022 posts.

These kinds of snubbies are designed for point and shoot without aiming. I would advise range time to be spent pointing and shooting with this weapon. You don't aim. You point and shoot. .38 or .357 really does not matter if you can point and shoot the thoracic triangle every time. A snubbie has only one purpose, and that should be practiced, For competition and so on, use another gun. This one has only one purpose.

CDFingers
Yes, I’m re-reading Grant Cunningham’s book on snubbies. I’ve realized my hold has not been optimal. Also, learning to shoot a snubby proficiently should help with other guns as well.
70A404B9-8F67-406F-95C3-D68DAD31D67D.jpeg

The picture of Ruby shooting Oswald, middle finger on the trigger. I know you have your index, but check it out with a snubby. Some powder burn, but god forbid you have to do it, it will be one shot. A band aid for you and a coffin for him. god forgive me.

CDFingers

IIRC, I think I recall reading that Ruby was a bit of a gun guy. I have seen that revolver, and it was just about state of the art for concealed carry for that time. And going back a LONG ways, the point with index finger and pull the trigger with middle finger has been a technique that many have used, tried, advocated, etc.

FrontSight wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:36 pm IIRC, I think I recall reading that Ruby was a bit of a gun guy. I have seen that revolver, and it was just about state of the art for concealed carry for that time. And going back a LONG ways, the point with index finger and pull the trigger with middle finger has been a technique that many have used, tried, advocated, etc.
What benefit?

when you're snap capping, check the ergonomics of trigger finger and middle finger when fired from a sternum-high point and shoot. Check the wrist angle.

The reason I brought up Ruby was he was missing his index finger, so this technique is sort of macabre in a way. Point and shoot is metal.

CDFingers