Re: Double-Action Only, Hidden-Hammer Revolver...in 9mm?

Vimeth wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:55 am
lurker wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:15 am
K9s wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:59 am The ammo panics happen every few years.
at least every election cycle. gun makers should fund dem candidates.
Don't they do that already?gun tattoo
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Wander over to New Members and tell us all about what you enjoy shooting.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

keenanmj85 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:16 am Did some digging through all of the Charter Arms models, think I found what I am looking for...now we will just see if they actually have any to sell.

Slow down!

First, you are the wrong person doing the looking unless your true goal is to buy a gun your wife will never use and so you get to play with it. Let your wife do the looking and decide which she is willing to try.

Even 38 Special from a small revolver is difficult to control and punishing on inexperienced hands. They are not the best choices for a new user. The smaller the gun the more experienced the user needs to be. Granted, I shot the last couple qualifying's with my Colt Detective Special but I've been shooting for way over a half century and shooting small frame guns at least that long.

Slow down!

Get an extra set of really high quality ear protectors. Arrange a session at an outdoor not indoor range where your wife can fire a variety of calibers including 22LR, the 32 family and maybe a 38 Special. Don't buy what you think she needs, let her decide what she will be comfortable with. The best choice in the world that's stored away in a drawer simply takes up space.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Caveat: it’s mainly for me, with possible expanded use later. I have a 22 pistol as a practice/comfort building handgun; it is what I started on. I have plenty of experience with semi-autos but very little with revolvers. I would never put a gun into the hands of a family member that I did not feel fully competent with myself, so I need to be doing my own training first. We would of course start with the 22 and work our way up from there, same as I have done with my son and others I have brought out for their first time shooting; there is no way this would be the first thing I would put in her hands, even with 38 special, I know enough to know that the learning curve with revolvers is steep. This is more a purchase for the long game; worst case scenario, I would be happy to keep it for myself. And I am still not going to certainly buy this, I was simply putting it out there as some thing that seems to fit what I am looking for, ammo is too expensive anyway to buy anything now.

tldr: Rent a 357 snub and try it first.

If you haven't regularly shot a snub nose 357, you really should rent one before buying. They are not "fun" to shoot with full power 357. Also, 357 ammo is never going to be cheap and neither is the revolver. You really need to want one if you are spending that kind of money.

As ammo dries up, firearm prices will drop. Keep looking around and keep a wish list. Watch prices. It may take a year or two for prices to drop back to Earth. Every $1 you save will buy ammo.

Smith & Wesson Model 642 prices have dropped back to under $400 recently. The Mag Pug sold for about $300 and up, so those will be hard to find in stock for a while because the price is low. Keep looking, but don't spend the money if you have no idea how they feel to shoot.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

senorgrand wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:13 pm If it's a trainer, get a s&w 617 in 22 lr.
This would never be the wrong answer.

Lots of other good .22LR choices, too. Ruger has SP101 and LCR. I've never shot the SP101, but I rented an LCR a few years ago and thought it was pretty neat. I'd buy one if my spousal critter wasn't watching. (I sold my 100 shares of Ruger stock last fall, so I have no conflict of interest to report!)

If you want a cool revolver, bid on an H&R 999 on Gunbroker. A friend of mine has one. I shot it once or twice 30-ish years ago when it was his dad's and again a couple of years back now. Very nice shooter. I suppose the latch mechanism would be best checked before purchase, so I don't know if I'd buy one for a transfer if there wasn't an option of inspecting it and sending it back.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Good advice here already. Everything I have ever read on the LCR describes it as having the best trigger for a lightweight DAO snubby on the market. The two caveats were, avoid the 9mm because of crimp jump issues, and get the .357 if you're going to shoot .38 special. Don't actually shoot .357 in it. You just want the extra weight.

I shoot .45 ACP in a revolver - Blackhawk, no moonclips. Never had a problem with ammunition. The problem isn't the lack of rim. I really like it, but good luck finding DAO in that caliber. Does Charter offer one?

The only reason to buy a lightweight gun is if you're going to carry it. Lighter gun, more recoil. Even .38 special out of a 25 oz. snubby has a kick. But it can also be a very effective round for self defense, expanding into .45 territory with adequate penetration even out of a 2" barrel. You have many more options for DAO in .38 special, and more if you look at .357 Magnum. That gets feisty in a snubby, and very very loud. But once again, more options.

You might also consider .22WMR - lighter, smaller, but you can get more rounds in a snubby and it's punchier than .22LR. I want to say the LCR has 8 shots in .22LR, 6 shots in .22WMR or .327, and 5 shots in everything else. There are some self-defense rounds in .22WMR that expand decently out of a 2" barrel.

keenanmj85 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:15 am The thought indeed was to get a .357 for the weight but to predominantly use it for .38. As everyone is alluding to though, nothing out there at the moment even if I was ready to metaphorically pull the trigger. LCRs are going for $800 on gun broker. No thank you.
:shock: :crazy:

Yeah, wait. Everything is just nuts right now.

I think the never-shot/shot-once used gun market will be flooded in about a year or two if ammo prices stay high.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt