New barrel fitted to the Beretta

I got my Beretta back from Beretta Dallas today with the new blued barrel fitted to replace the original chromed one. Now it is no longer a smooth bore and has new barely used other than test shots rifling. I like the two tone look as well.

Since it was never a gun meant to be used beyond BBD I had never really worried about the lack of rifling but finally decided it had earned a new one.

Before:

After:

It was most likely made in 1922 so it certainly deserves a little TLC.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Re: New barrel fitted to the Beretta

highdesert wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:30 am Very nice - PB Pietro Beretta. Have any history on it? 32 ACP ?
6.35mm (25acp). It was once issued by a Sir Miles Messervy KCMG but later recalled. No information on who it was issued to or why it was later recalled.
jim

CDFingers wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:12 am Is it possible for you to open it up so we can see the new barrel inside there? I haven't messed with one of those, so it would be cool to see.

CDFingers
Let's see if this helps.

Slide locked back for field strip:

Barrel tapped back and tilted up for removal:

Barrel out:

and Pieces Parts:

Pretty typical Striker fired pistol of the period.
jim

sig230 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:46 am
highdesert wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:30 am Very nice - PB Pietro Beretta. Have any history on it? 32 ACP ?
6.35mm (25acp). It was once issued by a Sir Miles Messervy KCMG but later recalled. No information on who it was issued to or why it was later recalled.
The mythical head of MI-6 and James Bond's boss. :lol:
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sikacz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:00 pm What distance is that gun still accurate in your shooting?
At any distance I'd use. Like all such guns they are meant for up very close and very personal; at Bad Breath Distance. With the old barrel that had quite literally NO rifling left I could still keep hits on a torso area at 12 to 15 feet. But even with rifling I can't imagine attempting to shoot much beyond those distances. They are not meant to be aimed but rather pointed and I generally practice with the smaller guns shooting at waist height with elbow locked against my body and then mid chest and close to body. I try drills using both hands and again at pointing rather than aiming positions. My goal is to place multiple hits within a designated area about the size of my fist on a paper plate sized circle that is 3 to five yards away.
jim

sig230 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:23 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:00 pm What distance is that gun still accurate in your shooting?
At any distance I'd use. Like all such guns they are meant for up very close and very personal; at Bad Breath Distance. With the old barrel that had quite literally NO rifling left I could still keep hits on a torso area at 12 to 15 feet. But even with rifling I can't imagine attempting to shoot much beyond those distances. They are not meant to be aimed but rather pointed and I generally practice with the smaller guns shooting at waist height with elbow locked against my body and then mid chest and close to body. I try drills using both hands and again at pointing rather than aiming positions. My goal is to place multiple hits within a designated area about the size of my fist on a paper plate sized circle that is 3 to five yards away.
Are you finding ammo for that easily?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:24 pm
sig230 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:23 pm
Are you finding ammo for that easily?
Haven't needed to go looking fortunately. I've long carried a 25acp in my pocket regardless of whatever else I might carry but the little Beretta quite frankly was pretty far down the list. Most often it is my FV Vest Pocket that gets to go WalkAbought. I'm down to less than a full box right now but since it's really unlikely I'll get to the range or actually have to use any I'll just wait to see when more ammo shows up.
jim