Re: Rock Island GI 1911

wings wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:17 pm Want to say I picked up Federal FMJ Champion .45ACP for 0.30/rd in August. Not my preferred round - I mostly shoot American Eagle - but it was what they had in stock. Now it's 0.60/rd. OTOH, defensive ammo prices haven't budged locally.
I’ve been tracking ammo prices on gunbroker for several months and this seems to fit with what I’ve seen there. For whatever reason, defensive ammo prices, which are already several times that of FMJ, have remained fairly steady. FMJ in both 9mm and .45 are currently 200-400% of the low “normal times” retail price (you can still see those “normal” prices on some websites, where the ammo is sold out).

There are also some real price gougers out there. I saw one seller who puts single boxes of ammo out at the price that 4-5 boxes would get today. He’s gotten some negative feedback for sure.

Anyhow, I’m aware this thread is about RIA 1911s, but drifted into the topic of .45 ammo. I wanted to say, the same consideration has been on my mind, and it introduces an unusual calculation about saving several hundred bucks on a cheaper gun only to have that savings absorbed within the first year by ridiculously inflated ammo prices.
Last edited by Northern on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anyhow, I’m aware this thread is about RIA 1911s, but drifted into the topic of .45 ammo. I wanted to say, the same consideration has been on my mind, and it introduces an unusual calculation about saying several hundred bucks on a cheaper gun only to have that savings absorbed within the first year by ridiculously inflated ammo prices.
That was my bad, not meant to hijack the thread but I was making the same calculation as I have been looking at the RIA 1911 ever since Paul Harrell gave it his approval. Right now the gun/ammo calculation doesn’t pencil out, although I fear it might only get worse going forward...

keenanmj85 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:39 am That was my bad, not meant to hijack the thread but I was making the same calculation as I have been looking at the RIA 1911 ever since Paul Harrell gave it his approval. Right now the gun/ammo calculation doesn’t pencil out, although I fear it might only get worse going forward...
It’s hard to tell. Certainly the producers are now getting more to put on the market, and some people may have maxed out their ability to hoard, etc. In the meanwhile, I was able to snag a police trade in non-1911 .45 and enough ammo to practice a bit with it to see how I like the big, slow ammo.

wings wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:51 pm That dichotomy between FMJ and JHP prices tells me that the hoarders are experienced shooters who remember the last drought, not newbies.
I have always thought the same thing. When I bought my first gun I bought 100 rounds, not 1000. I realize that 7 million new gun owners is a lot even if everyone is just buying 100, but I think that for a lot of new gun owners their first inclination is not to "stack it deep." I also suspect way more experienced shooters saw the writing on the wall and stocked up. I certainly did, even though I consider myself neither overly experienced nor overly a hoarder

personally, i suspect that someone (a lot of someones) was anticipating (creating?) large-scale conflict and social breakdown around election time, started stocking up and whether by coincidence or collusion started a panic. i can imagine their disappointment, all that ammo and no one to shoot. if i were LE i'd be looking into who ordered/shipped unusual volumes in spring/summer of last year. but then, i'm a suspicious individual.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:48 am personally, i suspect that someone (a lot of someones) was anticipating (creating?) large-scale conflict and social breakdown around election time, started stocking up and whether by coincidence or collusion started a panic. i can imagine their disappointment, all that ammo and no one to shoot. if i were LE i'd be looking into who ordered/shipped unusual volumes in spring/summer of last year. but then, i'm a suspicious individual.
Interesting to consider. Still, I wonder what the average volume of ammo purchases of completely lawful, non “civil war baiting” experienced shooters was from March through Dec 2020, such that any upward deviation from that average would constitute a lead worth LE’s time.

Northern wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:54 am
lurker wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:48 am personally, i suspect that someone (a lot of someones) was anticipating (creating?) large-scale conflict and social breakdown around election time, started stocking up and whether by coincidence or collusion started a panic. i can imagine their disappointment, all that ammo and no one to shoot. if i were LE i'd be looking into who ordered/shipped unusual volumes in spring/summer of last year. but then, i'm a suspicious individual.
Interesting to consider. Still, I wonder what the average volume of ammo purchases of completely lawful, non “civil war baiting” experienced shooters was from March through Dec 2020, such that any upward deviation from that average would constitute a lead worth LE’s time.
True. The percentage increase of my own ammo purchasing between January-May 2020 was substantially greater than anything previous, but that's only because prior to that I was basically buying as I was shooting. That became inconvenient so I just happened to start stocking up prior to things getting crazy, and it was not until May and things were really gone that I was purchasing what I could find when I could find, certainly playing into the "panic". So I own way more in 2020 than I did in 2019, but nothing nefarious about the purchases. But then again, in comparison my overall "stockpile" would laughed at by many experts, I would not even be a blip on the radar.

An important question though, albeit likely impossible to accurately track.

There's a trouble with JHP in that a .45 1911 unmodified might not drive it quickly enough to open, thus unnecessarily depleting the beer fund. 230gr of jacked goodness at around 850 fps has a certain authority. So, beer.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 am There's a trouble with JHP in that a .45 1911 unmodified might not drive it quickly enough to open, thus unnecessarily depleting the beer fund. 230gr of jacked goodness at around 850 fps has a certain authority. So, beer.

CDFingers
True! Ha. I also think one buys a bit of JHP to have handy and for a carry or bedside ready piece but doesn’t buy a lot based on foreseeing the need to use on range days etc.

Northern wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:08 am
CDFingers wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 am There's a trouble with JHP in that a .45 1911 unmodified might not drive it quickly enough to open, thus unnecessarily depleting the beer fund. 230gr of jacked goodness at around 850 fps has a certain authority. So, beer.

CDFingers
True! Ha. I also think one buys a bit of JHP to have handy and for a carry or bedside ready piece but doesn’t buy a lot based on foreseeing the need to use on range days etc.
Definitely. One box of 20/25 is enough to make sure it likes your gun and keep two mags available for use, change it out once a year.

I love it when I open the closet and see a few bags and coffee cans of 45 ACP brass, boxes of 23o gr jacketed bullets, boxes of large and small pistol primers and two pounds of Unique, Bullseye and if desperate Red Dot. and the Lee turret press ready anytime. Plus a few hundred rounds already to go.

Reloading is the way to go. But when I carry it usually is Gold Dots.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Fine for what it is

The comments I see on them are generally reliable, moderately accurate pieces.

The 1911 is an old design, and can be made remarkable with careful fitting of oversize parts by a gunsmith that really knows what they are doing. I have a Colt and a Springfield that have been reworked in this fashion, and a Rock River that was made this way initially. The pistols operate much differently, and can be much more accurate. The gunsmiths who do this type of work typically refuse to work on the Turkish and Philippine made pistols, saying the tollerances are wrong.

My 1911 is a Sig 1911 XO. Sig sig it was made to match specs. Have a friend that has a 1911 Colt Gold Cup and he shoot both said my Sig is as good if not better than the Gold Cup. I don’t know about that but I do know it is damn accurate and a sweet shooter.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

CDFingers
Yeah. I don't have a horse in the magic caliber wars, and my own arsenal happily avoids the middle ground. I was deeply satisfied with the kinesthetic experience of shooting .45, in a way that the 9s couldn't touch, and so here I am.

Now, remember - .45 came into its own in the days before reliable expansion. One thing FMJ has never been faulted for is penetration - sometimes an issue for JHP. Subsonic rounds have decided advantages when it comes to preserving those delicate cochlea follicles. Not having to worry about the sonic transition is a plus for accuracy, too. While I keep some JHP around, I wouldn't think twice about loading ball for defensive purposes. KE is nice, but momentum keeps a projectile moving. I've read more than a few comparisons of 9mm +P JHP vs .45 hardball, and consider the relative merits of fruit. You don't really need 20 rounds if you practice.