Re: New/used 1911.

Marlene mentioned the 22 TCM may be good for squirrels at 50 yards. Yes, if you wish to vaporize them. But it reminded me that RIA also makes a nice little bolt-carbine for that caliber.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial ... view/99093
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Marlene wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:49 pm If it’s anywhere near as accurate as the five seven I shot, it’s good for squirrels at 50 yards if you can do your part.
"....if you can do your part." My god, I hate that.
Half the fudd comments on other gun boards end with "if I do my part."
Marlene, please, please, repeat after me " I was tired, I didn't think, I will not end a post with this hackneyed old phrase again."

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

eelj wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:15 pm The 1911 has been made in great numbers in 38 super for many years. Back in the 60s they advertised the National Match chambered in 38 spec wadcutter, never seen one though.
It is not nice to cross the blessed Saint JMB, look what has happened to Colt. If it wasn’t for the government contracts they would be out of business.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

nigel wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:57 am
Marlene wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:49 pm If it’s anywhere near as accurate as the five seven I shot, it’s good for squirrels at 50 yards if you can do your part.
"....if you can do your part." My god, I hate that.
Half the fudd comments on other gun boards end with "if I do my part."
Marlene, please, please, repeat after me " I was tired, I didn't think, I will not end a post with this hackneyed old phrase again."
But it’s so much more polite than “if you are as good a shot as I sometimes am” and I like using the Fudd expressions.

eelj wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:15 pm The 1911 has been made in great numbers in 38 super for many years. Back in the 60s they advertised the National Match chambered in 38 spec wadcutter, never seen one though.
To date; my utterly unremarkable and otherwise GI standard Auto Ordnance 1911A1 chambered for .38 Super is one of the most accurate handguns I've ever fired.

When I first shot, I was certain this would become my favorite carry gun. However, I bought a box of Sig premium V-Crown hollow points to try out of it. With them, I didn't get through three rounds without a failure to feed. At least, it still impresses on paper.

Paul Harrell sings the praises of the .38 Super 1911. I just cannot bear another caliber in a non-carry pistol. A few years ago, I might have jumped on it.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

If I can do my part? I took a pest red squirrel at 30 with my Glock 43. I expect better accuracy with this pistol.

P.S. There were several witnesses who estimated the distance at 45 - 50 yards. I didn't bother to correct them

K9s wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:35 pm Paul Harrell sings the praises of the .38 Super 1911. I just cannot bear another caliber in a non-carry pistol. A few years ago, I might have jumped on it.
I agree, but I bought mine several years ago in hopes of adding it into the carry rotation particularly as a hiking/camping companion. Unfortunately, I was forced to acquire a G20 to fill that role :smart:

jimg wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 pm
K9s wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:35 pm Paul Harrell sings the praises of the .38 Super 1911. I just cannot bear another caliber in a non-carry pistol. A few years ago, I might have jumped on it.
I agree, but I bought mine several years ago in hopes of adding it into the carry rotation particularly as a hiking/camping companion. Unfortunately, I was forced to acquire a G20 to fill that role :smart:
You were "forced to acquire" a gun? I have to start using that line. I like that!

:roflmao:
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt