Beretta Model 81 .32 ACP

I couldn't take it any longer. I resisted for SO long. Until.... price dropped to $169. At least it isn't a new caliber!

The mags are expensive and hard to find, so I won't shoot this much.

I'll take pics when I pick it up. Why do I have such trouble resisting a Beretta? I already have a Cheetah, but it is in .380. I have the Tomcat and Cougars. No Bobcat, though.

I wonder why they didn't give the 92 and 96 a cat name?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Beretta Model 81 .32 ACP

I have owned Beretta 81's and 82's years ago....you gotta shoot that 81. A lot. The .32 pistols (like .32 Walther PPK's) are a completely different animal than the .380's

http://www.beretta.com/en/serie-80/

I'm pretty sure Beretta is making new 81's so you might find new mags cheaper than you think. Congrats on This pistol!!

VooDoo

edit: Not cheap but at least new! https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/berett ... rd/c85888/
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I love the no-recoil 32 (I have a .32 ACP Tomcat) but a $50 mag for a sub-$200 gun makes me want to shoot it a lot less. I don't want to wear out that one mag. I wonder what happens with mag cap bans when a firearm has no 10 round mags?

If it is the same size as my Model 84, it isn't something I would conceal carry much or carry out in the wild. I like old Berettas so I seem to collect them as range toys. I don't shoot the old ones much.

Do I have to use low pressure rounds like the 3032 uses?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Not in the full size pistols.....the Cheetahs are basically a full size pistol in .32 acp. I ran my old 81 thru at least 3000 rounds of hot S&B and Fiocchi ammunition (European loaded .32 - hot stuff!) as well as hand loads with the same 75 gr. hardcast bullet that Buffalo Bore uses and was getting 1000 FPS out of the gun. Never missed a lick.

Those Beretta Cheetahs were designed and used as police duty weapons and run like a top for way more rounds than us mere mortals will run thru them.

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

]I took mine to the range today. Flawless performance for an Italian police reject.

I have had the 84, which was more than I wanted (blasted by bone spur something fierce), the 87 non-target, which was lovely but had to go to find something else, and now think I have found the right one. Sights are an inch to the right at 7 yards, and might be a bit low. But it's not a target gun, and it groups fine so who cares!?

In order - 84, 87, 81 (nice shiny wooden grips on the way for the 81 now that I know it shoots just fine.

_SCB8543_resize.jpg
Beretta 87BBA.jpg
Beretta 81 09-23-19_resize.jpg
THe new one isn't in the best shape, but for $200 I just don't care. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Where did you get those wood grips, SailDesign?

If these things can handle plain, old .32 ACP like GECO, I will probably shoot it more. I have an old .38 that can't use +P, so I don't shoot it as much.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

If it was anything else made by any other company, I would admire it and move on. I have a thing for collecting older Beretta pistols. I haven't gone for anything newer than a 92 or 96, though. I have almost all the cats, though. The Cougar is underrated.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:10 pm Where did you get those wood grips, SailDesign?

If these things can handle plain, old .32 ACP like GECO, I will probably shoot it more. I have an old .38 that can't use +P, so I don't shoot it as much.
Hah! That would be telling..... They're my "go-to grip guys" and produce some very out-of-the-ordinary grips, like a set for a Sauer & Sohn 38H I have. They are actually the US outlet for a European grip-maker, hence the Sauer, and their site is :-

Grips4U.net

Not the most inspiring site name, but Oh, such lovely stuff. I have a set of their grips on a .32 SP101, and they are simply awesome.

For fun, the Sauer (also in 32ACP)
Attachments
_SCB2553_resize.jpg

I want to wait and see how this $169 (police surplus) pistol looks and functions before I start throwing money at $50 mags and grips. I will post pics when it comes in.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:17 am
Marlene wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:31 pm I want one too!
I want one of each described pistol in this thread. I have plenty of pistols, though. :)
pistols are small, don't take up much space. i have 9 of them in a little toolbag, just in case i have to go somewhere in a hurry. even though there's plenty room for more, should probably rehome some.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I like shooting, but I don't like cleaning a rifle. Handguns are so much easier to clean, so I have more and shoot them more often. I rotate the pistols, and I have more than enough and I know it. Rehome? Not me. They can be rehomed when I am dead or unable to shoot.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

My two favorite carry pistols are both Beretta's - a PX4 subcompact 9mm and a Pico .380. Beretta's are easy to become addicted to especially the Italian built guns. I have owned several Beretta 81's, 82'3, 84's and 92's all Italian built and they were the finest fit and finish guns of all of the pistols I own. Which is more than 20 now including Sig Sauer, Beretta, S&W, Ruger, Colt and Browning.

Beretta's have a sweet factor that exudes precision.

VooDoo

wooglin wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:07 am
SailDesign wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:57 pm I have a set of their grips on a .32 SP101, and they are simply awesome.
Pic please? How do they fill in behind the trigger guard?
They don't fill the gap completely, but they alsodon't give the knuckle-bite of the originals. I mostly shoot 32 S&W Long, but I keep some FedMag and H&R around to remind myself how it feels now and then. :)
_SCB3070_resize.jpg

Compared to the originals (difference is feelable, but may not show up much in the pics)
_SCB3069_resize.jpg

VodoundaVinci wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:16 am My two favorite carry pistols are both Beretta's - a PX4 subcompact 9mm and a Pico .380. Beretta's are easy to become addicted to especially the Italian built guns. I have owned several Beretta 81's, 82'3, 84's and 92's all Italian built and they were the finest fit and finish guns of all of the pistols I own. Which is more than 20 now including Sig Sauer, Beretta, S&W, Ruger, Colt and Browning.

Beretta's have a sweet factor that exudes precision.

VooDoo
The Cougar was the "rotating barrel" precursor to the PX4, I am told. Is the PX4 really a lighter, polymer version of the Cougar with a better grip? I have resisted the PX4 and hoped the price of the 45 ACP version would drop. It hasn't. I have considered the 9mm version, but I really love my 9mm SIGs, Tauri, and Berettas. I don't know how the PX4 could ever take the place of those unless the price dropped below $300. A Beretta PX4 in 45 is something I would like, but only because I like Berettas. I have no real need for another 45.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt