pistol magazine mystery

I opened my magazine drawer in my basement to grab my mkIII mags on Friday.....only to discover that those mags had an uneven film of rust on them. I was able to clean them up with oil and steel wool (it was all surface rust and no pitting). No other mags for any of the other guns had rust on them (even the beat-up GI mags for my 1911).

I got my mkIII out of the safe and checked the mag. It had rust on it also.

The last time I shot the mkIII was in July. I'm wondering what I handled at that point that could have caused the mags to rust like that? Weird that nobody else was rusting.

Edit: I double-checked all the mags for the other guns that I fired at the same event (Beretta, CZ, 10/22) and they're all ok. As a negative control I pulled the mag out of my other mkIII (one I didn't handle in July) and it was fine.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

Re: pistol magazine mystery

HuckleberryFun wrote:If you were in a marine environment I might say that it's corrosion caused by dissimilar metals in close proximity reacting to each other, but you're in Grand Rapids. Hmmm.
Mother Superior would say "it's a Mystery". Toss a bar of sacrificial zinc in the drawer...
Actually, I was in Terre Haute, Indiana for the shooting event in July. Didn't see any oceans while I was there.

What will zinc do? Will it serve as the 'weakest' metal and collect ions or something?
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

I'm guessing here:

The EXACT pressed steel alloy, along with the coating used to protect the mags must be different and inferior (re: corrosion resistance) to the other brands.

Zinc actually "wicks away" the elecro-galvanic action of water on near-by metals. Sacrificial "zincs" have long been a standard for metal boats and even some outboard motors (like my ugly old Honda) have them attached.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The zinc will act as a sacrificial anode in a cathodic protection system. Place the zinc in contact with the magazine. An electochemical reaction will take place where the zinc will rust but not the steel of the magazine. Magnesium will aslo work.
BTW if you have some of those magnesium fire starter blocks, and leave one in a metal tackle box... the fire started will eventually be a pile of white powder.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Marlene wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:35 pm Zinc works in wet systems, but not so much in a dry drawer.

I keep these in my safes and parts/tool/die boxes.

https://www.amazon.com/Zerust-Rust-Prev ... +inhibitor

https://www.amazon.com/Zerust-VC2-2-NoR ... +inhibitor
Hi.
Been awhile hasn't it...!?

Sorry for resurrecting an old chestnut but...always preferred that to creating new, back in the day, as it were.

PSA:
I made an unhappy discovery yesterday that I thought worth sharing; rust forming on items inside my safe, which maintains a perfectly controlled environment for metal storage. Or so I thought.

I couldn't understand why a micro-layer of rust would develop on well prepared and cared for items inside my safe, whereas similar items stored outside of the safe remained rust free.

Turns out is not humidity. It's the result of the materials used to line the interior of the safe; drywall for fire resistance and carpeting for aesthetics. The sulfur and formaldehyde used in manufacturing are continuously evaporating out of these materials and contaminating the atmosphere inside.

Thus the item purchased to protect the things inside is, in reality, destroying them. Now admittedly it's not a terribly expensive safe, but...?

For the time being I've opted for VCI bags from the same folks Marlene mentioned. Sooner rather than later I'll strip the interior out of the safe, as I expect these materials are doing to the safe what they are doing to my stuff.

Thought I'd mention it.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 am It's the result of the materials used to line the interior of the safe; drywall for fire resistance and carpeting for aesthetics. The sulfur and formaldehyde used in manufacturing are continuously evaporating out of these materials and contaminating the atmosphere inside.
I've heard about this, cheap safes made anywhere, and especially any price point of safe made in China (allegedly) have this issue.

Marlene wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 pm Hey mister!

Sorry to hear of your rusty woes.
My divine 'M'...how you doin girl? I hope the world is treating you well.

I'm sorry too. It was the bridge of my 1964 Fender Stratocaster that I first noticed this on, followed by the muzzle on '43 Saginaw Carbine. Fortunately it's merely surface deposits without visible pitting. Still, everything is getting stripped, detailed, oiled and bagged.
Cheap ass bastards.
KlownKannon wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 pm Hey ho! Hey stranger!
Hidee ho klown! Yes, it is indeed true, I am stranger by the day. I work hard at it. And you are well too? Been out this way lately? Gonna be?
Bang wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:31 pm
rolandson wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 am It's the result of the materials used to line the interior of the safe; drywall for fire resistance and carpeting for aesthetics. The sulfur and formaldehyde used in manufacturing are continuously evaporating out of these materials and contaminating the atmosphere inside.
I've heard about this, cheap safes made anywhere, and especially any price point of safe made in China (allegedly) have this issue.
Correct on every detail. Winchester "cheap safe" made in China. Not that the Chinese had anything to do with selecting the cheapest materials possible, guaranteeing destruction. That decision was made in New Haven, Connecticut. Cheaply made, not cheaply priced.

Did some further checking...the safe is also showing indications. It's getting detailed too. And a spiffy new paint job on the interior, where there was none before. I won't be putting the drywall or carpet back.
We Are So Screwed

Marlene wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 pm Life is treating me very well, old man. I hope it’s doing the same for you.
I am still breathing. There was some question in that regard a couple years ago but I fooled em!

Daughter's getting married, son was hired by a college in Walla Walla (a community that I have grown to love), spouse is nearing retirement, and the dog is an idiot. Just another Friday evening...in Walla Walla to be exact...up visiting.

I'm reasonably happy. Life is good.
We Are So Screwed

An update.
Turns out Winchester claims this safe is US made. Turns out this safe is still under warranty. Turns out, despite an abundance of internet chatter discussing this very subject, and, this manufacturer, my inquiry is the first they've heard of it. Amazing!

Interesting business model.
We Are So Screwed

Further to the previous...
Winchester honored their warranty (5 years).

Two days prior to said warranty's expiration I contacted them about the issue. After some back and forth which included providing photographs of the corrosion of both the interior of the safe and items stored within...

Winchester refunded the entire purchase price. They asked for nothing in return. They simply apologized and gave me my money back.

Interesting business model indeed.
We Are So Screwed