CZ 75 Compact D (PCR)

I'd asked the gurus for advice on CZ 75 compacts in the link below and subsequently derailed my own thread by buying a non compact SP-01. Well, I was so happy with that, I managed to find a CZ 75 Compact D at the LGS. Did some comparisons with the Shield (my current primary carry gun) they had in the counter for size, played with the trigger (very nice, by the way) and went back today and purchased it. Except for the barrel length, I found the size to be very similar to the Shield. I'ts not much wider even, and will get thinner with some slim grips.

I am very hopeful this will be my "just right" gun for concealed carry. I went with the Compact D for a couple of reasons. I didn't want a safety on a carry gun or the added weight of the steel Compact. I wanted a decocker. I also didn't want the rail that comes on the P-01. For carry, I'd prefer as svelt a profile as possible and will never hang anything off of it anyway. Finally, the Compact D is just a lovely little critter, looking so much more benign than its railed brother. I'll have to wait to add it to my permit until I renew (otherwise I get to pay for all the background check stuff again). It will be a good time to get acquainted.

10-day wait begins.
PCR.jpg
Original thread on Compacts in general: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53741

Re: CZ 75 Compact D (PCR)

highdesert wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:14 am :thumbup: Your CZ family is growing. Looks very similar to my P-01 except without the rail, which you don't really need for concealed carry. PCR - Police Czech Republic.
Yup, pretty much the same beastie. No rail, rear sights are different and the beaver tail is a bit different. Won't have a chance to shoot until the national meeting. :(

featureless wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:04 am
highdesert wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:14 am :thumbup: Your CZ family is growing. Looks very similar to my P-01 except without the rail, which you don't really need for concealed carry. PCR - Police Czech Republic.
Yup, pretty much the same beastie. No rail, rear sights are different and the beaver tail is a bit different. Won't have a chance to shoot until the national meeting. :(
That sucks, but you can dry fire it and get used to field stripping. I've stripped mine so many times that a few taps with a small mallet and it's easy to remove the pin. Mine came with a lot of cosmoline or similar product. The shortened dust cover under the slide will probably be better for concealed carry and I personally like a decocker over a thumb safety. Do you have a holster or is that the next purchase?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 am
featureless wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:04 am
That sucks, but you can dry fire it and get used to field stripping. I've stripped mine so many times that a few taps with a small mallet and it's easy to remove the pin. Mine came with a lot of cosmoline or similar product. The shortened dust cover under the slide will probably be better for concealed carry and I personally like a decocker over a thumb safety. Do you have a holster or is that the next purchase?
Oh, I'm used to delayed gratification on shooting. Nearest place is family a bit over an hour away but weekends seem to be packed for me lately...

I'll need to get a holster. I've found that for appendix carry, Cooks makes a good one. I've also found that a single clip, offset so as not to add thickness, works best as some movement of the gun is necessary when sitting or you get pressure in places you don't want it...

I'm also busy deciding what I may want to upgrade on it. The short reset kit from Cajun may be in my future along with the spring kit/extended firing pin widely recommended here. I'm not sure I want to decrease the double action pull--it's one of the things that's drawn me back to DA/SA for carry.

In California, few things are as joyous as pickup day.
20190919_192257.jpg
Because the PCR is intended to eventually replace my Shield as the primary carry gun, a little comparison is in order. They are essentially the same height and width (minus the decocker and slide release) is also very similar. The PCR is obviously longer, but that is the least difficult thing to deal with from a concealment perspective. Dare I say the PCR is graceful in comparison?
20190919_192436.jpg
20190919_192618.jpg

Yup, get out of jail day is the very best. Nice comparison with the Shield, a few ounces heavier; 10 rounds (not 14 rounds it's CA), but that's more than the Shield. Nice new grips. How does it feel concealed? So when is range day?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Amazingly, range day is tomorrow. Fastest turn around from acquisition to shooting for me ever. :)

I don't have a holster for it and it doesn't fit any of the ones I do have, so no real information on how it carries yet. Stuffed in the belt, it will do with a cover shirt (a tee shirt will be pushing it). I can definitively say that the sights leave something to be desired, but that's the only gripe so far and I have a Dawson fiber optic front to replace when I get time.

The Superman tee with a Superman over-the-pants shirt should work. :) I've never conceal carried mine, if I did I have a level 3 OWB leather holster that fits perfectly. Holsters are as individual as clothing.

highdesert wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:04 pm The Superman tee with a Superman over-the-pants shirt should work. :) I've never conceal carried mine, if I did I have a level 3 OWB leather holster that fits perfectly. Holsters are as individual as clothing.
No Superman tee in my collection. A cape might be a good accessory, though. My Deadpool "this guy has issues" tee would work, but draws too much of the wrong attention when packing. :crazy:

At any rate, it will be a bit over a year before I can add the PCR to my CCW permit (renewal time), so I've got time to work on my outfit, not to mention refamiliarization with DA/SA. Striker fired just made the most sense when I was limited to a home defense gun...

The standard PCR sights leave a bit to be desired. Honestly, any iron sights are a challenge for my eyeballs anymore without some serious head contortions to get the glasses just right. Then I can't see shit except the front sight. So, in my quest to be able to shoot without my glasses, I got a little work done by Cajun Gun Works. Pro package installed and slide milled. Went in before Christmas and came back today. Pics or it didn't happen.
20210225_181652_copy_2268x1701.jpg
20210225_181732_copy_2268x1701.jpg
20210225_182111_copy_2268x3024.jpg
I went with a Holosun 507k due to the narrow size and large reticule (that I'll be damned if I can take a picture of). It also has little slots in the back so the rear irons can be milled out and not render the front sight useless. I have a RMR on a M&P with suppressor height sights that I'm just not enamored of--too much shit going on in a tiny screen between the dot, huge assed sights and the stupid horns on the RMR. The above setup is much less distracting and the reticule is very easy to pick up (it's like an Eotech--circle with a dot). The CGW work makes for an amazing trigger pull in DA and SA at 7.5 and 3.2 lbs, respectively. Crisp and clean (but not much better than the pro package on the SP-01 I installed myself, so if you're at all handy, you can get great results for less money). The brown CGW grips I had weren't quite grippy enough for my weak and sweaty office hands, so I will try the Loc crosscut grips. Can't wait to shoot it, but it probably won't be until April sometime. Dry fire and dot hunting until then. Although, dot hunting isn't too bad initially. I'm a happy camper.

Looking through some old threads just for giggles, and find this one.

After buying five other CZ pistols (the three most common P-10 variants, and the P07 and P09), I succumbed to the N+1 itch yet again and bought a 75D PCR. Despite having to buy more new magazines (since the P-07 uses the same mags as the P10C, I already have some that can serve as extras), the PCR has become my EDC.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

highdesert wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:12 am
sikacz wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:57 pm Can’t go wrong with any CZ! Congrats!
I agree, love my CZ P-01that was a police pistol before all the polymers arrived.

Wonder how many CZ firearms were shipped to Ukraine to help them defend their country.
https://www.czub.cz/en/defend-and-serve/
I do prefer the steel varieties, as I do in all guns. I prefer to think I can still use it as a club after the ammo runs out. LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:50 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:12 am
sikacz wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:57 pm Can’t go wrong with any CZ! Congrats!
I agree, love my CZ P-01that was a police pistol before all the polymers arrived.

Wonder how many CZ firearms were shipped to Ukraine to help them defend their country.
https://www.czub.cz/en/defend-and-serve/
I do prefer the steel varieties, as I do in all guns. I prefer to think I can still use it as a club after the ammo runs out. LoL.
If I could get a steel compact with a decocker, I would.

I saw a 75 Compact D for sale in the local Cabela's gun library a few weeks ago. It was priced very very low and the description missed the obvious modifications - grips and tritium sights - I suspected that it got the CGW treatment. It moved before I could make time to wander down and make an unwise but brilliant investment.

Son just bought this yesterday...Had a hammer fired Beretta and Springfield SA-35..sold them, not much fun to shoot. Beretta really fat the the SA had some fail to feed issues..

We'll shoot it soon..Great range gun, already has Glock 'tools' for EDC.
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (24.51 KiB) Viewed 1335 times

F4FEver wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:16 am Son just bought this yesterday...Had a hammer fired Beretta and Springfield SA-35..sold them, not much fun to shoot. Beretta really fat the the SA had some fail to feed issues..

We'll shoot it soon..Great range gun, already has Glock 'tools' for EDC.
Well that is interesting. I'd like to see how easy this swap is to do without tools.
A further evolution of the 75 B Ω, the new Convertible version allows users to swap from decocker to safety operation in the same manner as the popular P-07/P-09 pistols. Using the same simplified, more robust variation of the 75’s trigger system as the previous Omega, trigger parts use an interlocking design that allows for easy disassembly and reassembly without the need for tools
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Same with the CZ P-01 which is what I have. Mine has a decocker which I prefer over a manual safety, but I'd take a manual safety over nothing.

IIRC the 75D has a steel frame, while the P-01 has an alloy (aluminum) frame and also a light rail. The P-01 is a NATO approved pistol along with the CZ 75, which means it's in the NATO catalog of approved products.