Shipping handguns to FFLs

I understand I cannot use USPS to ship a handgun but must use a private carrier like UPS or FedEx. Has anyone here sold a handgun to a buyer in another state and shipped to an FFL for the buyer’s transfer? Ie like after selling on gunbroker or Internet classified?

Any preferred services to use, good or bad experiences, etc.? I’m finding the process to be somewhat of a pain, and of course all the while juggling the fact that the buyers are balking at paying for shipping.

Re: Shipping handguns to FFLs

My FFL charges flat fee of $40 for shipping to another FFL or manufacturer (repair/warranty). $20 for 4473 receiving a firearm. This for handgun not sure for long gun.

Having said that, I have shipped 2-3 back for warranty repair using FedEx ground service for less than $15. The only draw back is had they been lost in shipment, I'd be SOL getting monies from FedEx to cover loss.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Northern wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:33 pm I understand I cannot use USPS to ship a handgun but must use a private carrier like UPS or FedEx. Has anyone here sold a handgun to a buyer in another state and shipped to an FFL for the buyer’s transfer? Ie like after selling on gunbroker or Internet classified?

Any preferred services to use, good or bad experiences, etc.? I’m finding the process to be somewhat of a pain, and of course all the while juggling the fact that the buyers are balking at paying for shipping.
Just did this..bought a SG on Gunbroker(private seller)..gent took the SG to his local FFL..that FFL got my FFLs info, sent it to my FFL..about $40 to the seller's FFL, $40 transfer fee to my FFL..plus $11 BGC. Sent it UPS..

F4FEver wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:12 am
Northern wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:33 pm I understand I cannot use USPS to ship a handgun but must use a private carrier like UPS or FedEx. Has anyone here sold a handgun to a buyer in another state and shipped to an FFL for the buyer’s transfer? Ie like after selling on gunbroker or Internet classified?

Just did this..bought a SG on Gunbroker(private seller)..gent took the SG to his local FFL..that FFL got my FFLs info, sent it to my FFL..about $40 to the seller's FFL, $40 transfer fee to my FFL..plus $11 BGC. Sent it UPS..
Gotta ask. What is an SG?
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:36 am
F4FEver wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:12 am

Gotta ask. What is an SG?
ShotGun
Back Ground Check..sorry..I got lazy wandering around another gun forum, with 'politics'(even tho 'politics' 'banned'..really only 'politics' they didn't agree with-as in anti-trump/big Lie stuff, got deleted) That wore me out..so quit that one..think I've found a home here....

Liberals with guns..the rightwing wackos worse nightmare...

Just bought a pistol from a seller in Minnesota. It's en route USPS to an FFL. Had to be sure seller has the FFL's license #'s and particulars. $25 transfer fee and a few hours or days for the instant background check... not that difficult.
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

Tedzilla wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:33 pm Just bought a pistol from a seller in Minnesota. It's en route USPS to an FFL. Had to be sure seller has the FFL's license #'s and particulars. $25 transfer fee and a few hours or days for the instant background check... not that difficult.
Ya sure it's not UPS? USPS does not ship handguns.
  • Handguns are not allowed to be mailed through USPS. See 18 U.S.C. §§1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5), and 922(a)(2)(A). Rather, handguns must be shipped using a common or contract carrier (e.g., UPS or FedEx).

F4FEver wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:11 am
Tedzilla wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:33 pm Just bought a pistol from a seller in Minnesota. It's en route USPS to an FFL. Had to be sure seller has the FFL's license #'s and particulars. $25 transfer fee and a few hours or days for the instant background check... not that difficult.
  • Handguns are not allowed to be mailed through USPS. See 18 U.S.C. §§1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5), and 922(a)(2)(A). Rather, handguns must be shipped using a common or contract carrier (e.g., UPS or FedEx).
The reality though is that USPS does ship handguns. In fact I'm always pleasantly surprised by how quickly USPS gets them to me compared to other carriers and with far better tracking. Lately at least locally I've even been getting Sunday package delivery from USPS.
jim

Have ordered several pistols on line - all were shipped USPS to my FFL. He also ships pistols USPS.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

sig230 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:30 am
The reality though is that USPS does ship handguns. In fact I'm always pleasantly surprised by how quickly USPS gets them to me compared to other carriers and with far better tracking. Lately at least locally I've even been getting Sunday package delivery from USPS.
Being dense..help me out here
"The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun."
"Handguns are not allowed to be mailed through USPS. See 18 U.S.C. §§1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5), and 922(a)(2)(A). Rather, handguns must be shipped using a common or contract carrier (e.g., UPS or FedEx)"

What am I missing??

F4FEver wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:16 am
"The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun."
"Handguns are not allowed to be mailed through USPS. See 18 U.S.C. §§1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5), and 922(a)(2)(A). Rather, handguns must be shipped using a common or contract carrier (e.g., UPS or FedEx)"

What am I missing??
Reality.
jim

F4FEver wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:16 am

What am I missing??
You need to read the actual text not the blurb on the FAQ. This is from the law prohibiting concealable firearmes:
Such articles also may be conveyed in the mails to manufacturers of firearms or bona fide dealers therein in customary trade shipments, including such articles for repairs or replacement of parts, from one to the other, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe.