Re: EV's way more energy efficient than gasoline for cars

How times have changed.I bought my first computer in 3 BM or three years Before Macintosh, 1981. It was a used Apple ][ Plus with 64 K of memory, a 80 column green screen monitor, two 5.25 floppy disk drives. and a NEC 8023 Dot Matrix 9 pin printer. He for the day I was in tall cotton. Overall Wife and I have owned about 30 computer sine 1981.I have a CD/DVD player that connects to a computer. I might still have a couple of DVDs still around. All my collection of CD and Vinyl Records I ripped to the computer and then sold them to Half Price Books. Looking back How times have changed. Remember when a fellow student in High School had a four track tape player in his car. Later I remember installing an eight track tape plate in my car that had a built in FM radio. It formed a stack under the dash with my CB Radio.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I still store away an IBM PC that will run floppy disks. I have some floppy disks with info stored on them and some blank ones. I have the printer that went with it as well.
I hate throwing stuff away like that.
My old stereo is in the AZ room with the turntable, CD player. I can hook up to it with my cell phone or an old laptop out there and stream music out to the pool from SiriusXM or what have you. I also have an old directional antennae on the roof hooked up to it I can even broadcast with.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

sikacz wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:41 am Of course they out perform, the problem is manufacturing, infrastructure, charging time and the expense of battery replacement. Also disposal of batteries and so on. Sure it’s one of the options to pursue. It just shouldn’t be the only one.
Agreed. I believe EV is niche, immediate and transitional, but it isn't the future.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

EV is a great goal that I support, but the reality in this country is hybrid is the logical next step. In urban and suburban areas, EVs are possible depending on charging capabilities and length of commutes, but long drives and rural areas are different. And plug in hybrids are another alternative. Regular internal combustion engines will be around for a number of decades, they've become more efficient over the years. My small AWD car gets 40+ on highways, much better than the gas guzzler SUVs that are everywhere. By the time I'm ready for the next vehicle, I'll probably be living somewhere where a small electric for getting around town will be just right for me.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I’m convinced that over time EV’s are going to take over ICE vehicles. They are truly that much more efficient transportation. And all other issues of range, build cost, environmental effects of batteries, will be solved in time. The main factor driving EV’s in the near future will be climate change. A few more years of record heat-waves, massive wildfires, flooding, and such will make legislators in developed countries push for increased EV’s development and infrastructure as political “low hanging fruit”.

I agree with all of the above. I personally drive a Prius regularly getting 50mpg and am plenty happy with how cheap it is to run and maintain. But after seeing just how much energy is still turned into heat and dissipated by the ICE, my Prius truly feels like a bandaid for a dinosaur that is on its way out the door. The issue (as in all things tech) is simply time. What is the timeframe we are projecting for EV’s supplanting ICE’s? I believe the reality of EV’s taking over is far sooner than most people expect. But I’m currently living that reality here in Los Angeles and seeing so many friends happily driving the small Tesla and Bolt’s and other “economy EV’s” in daily life while he price of gas goes through the roof. I’m even seeing electric busses on the road more regularly now too! And as they say for transportation... so goes CA, so goes the US (over time).
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

One thing that will make more people move to EVs is when they develop really quick charging . I go to a gas station to fill up my RAV4 Hybrid and I'm there about 10 minutes or less, with pay at the pump. That will get me about a 500+ mile range.

Tesla model 3 using a supercharger takes about 20 minutes to 80%.https://www.energysage.com/electric-veh ... g-a-tesla/
Range is about 340 miles on an 80% charge.

Your Tesla 3 will take anywhere between six and 15 hours to fully charge with a Wall Connector. https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/how-l ... odel-three
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

CDFingers wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:47 am We could guess that, but here are the deets.
Out of the 8.9 million barrels of gasoline consumed daily in the U.S. on average, only 1.8 million gallons, or approximately 20 percent, actually propel an internal combustion vehicle forward. The other 80 percent is wasted on heat and parasitic auxiliary components that draw away energy. As the world begins its shift to EV proliferation, the good news is electric vehicles are far more energy efficient on the road.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/evs-mor ... n-engines/

Faster, better, cheaper will win out every time.

CDFingers
Tell that to Harley-Davidson! Slower, less reliable, and more expensive than even Beemers has been their Mantra for 50 years.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:52 pm One thing that will make more people move to EVs is when they develop really quick charging . I go to a gas station to fill up my RAV4 Hybrid and I'm there about 10 minutes or less, with pay at the pump. That will get me about a 500+ mile range.

Tesla model 3 using a supercharger takes about 20 minutes to 80%.https://www.energysage.com/electric-veh ... g-a-tesla/
Range is about 340 miles on an 80% charge.

Your Tesla 3 will take anywhere between six and 15 hours to fully charge with a Wall Connector. https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/how-l ... odel-three
Another rarely discussed issue is that Teslas don't do well in really cold climates. Cabin heaters, seat heaters, defrosters, battery heaters all use SO much power in single-digit or sub-zero temps AND the cold on the batteries that capacity can quickly drop to half...and charging outside doesn't work so well because the batteries are SO cold they have trouble charging up. It's so bad Tesla recommends using the seat heaters over the cabin heater. Fuel vehicles merely use excess engine heat. Even hydrogen fuel cell EVs don't have that problem. Just because Musk has declared H2 powered vehicles to be "stupid" doesn't mean it's so.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."