Liz Cheney kicked out of the House Republican leadership

Rep. Liz Cheney was just removed from her position as House GOP conference chair.

There was no debate inside the room, according to members in the room.

A GOP member says Cheney lost by voice vote. “No major drama, anticlimactic, compared to last time."

According to a source in the room, five people had to stand to request a recorded vote to remove Cheney from the leadership position. Apparently that did not happen, and the gavel came down.

Cheney told colleagues that it was up to Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy whether he wanted a voice vote or not, "and Kevin asked for voice," according to the source.
GOP Rep. Liz Cheney spoke to reporters after the vote to oust her from leadership.

She said, "I am absolutely committed, as I said last night, as I said just now to my colleagues, that we must go forward based on truth."

Cheney continued: "We cannot both embrace the big lie and embrace the constitution. And going forward, the nation needs it. The nation needs a strong Republican party. The nation needs a party that is based upon fundamental principles of conservatism."

Cheney said she is committed and dedicated to ensuring that that's how the Republican party goes forward.

Ask how concerned she is that Donald Trump might end up back in the Oval Office, Cheney said, "I will do everything I can to ensure that the former President never again gets anywhere near the oval office."
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Liz Cheney won’t move on and stop speaking about the threat to American democracy posed by Donald Trump for a simple reason: It hasn’t gone away.
Cheney spoke in a mostly empty House of Representatives on Tuesday night, after many of her fellow Republicans had spent the day saying it was time to move on from Trump’s insurrection and trashing of America’s tradition of peaceful transfers of power.

But Cheney made a blunt case that the party and the country cannot forget – not least because the peril from the seditious ex-President is still growing.

“Today we face a threat America has never seen before. A former President who provoked a violent attack on this Capitol, in an effort to steal the election, has resumed his aggressive effort to convince Americans that the election was stolen from him,” said Cheney, speaking slowly and in devastating clarity.

“He risks inciting further violence. Millions of Americans have been misled by the former President. They have heard only his words, not the truth.”

Her willingness to take on Trump ensures Cheney is headed for a prolonged period in the political wilderness. As well as losing her leadership post, she is likely to face a primary challenge from a pro-Trump candidate if she runs for reelection. She will certainly be alienated from the bulk of Republican voters and media figures who remain in Trump’s thrall. She will have the company of a small group of GOPers who voted to impeach or convict Trump over the Capitol riot on January 6 and repudiated his attack on American democracy.

Cheney is being ousted despite the fact that she is one of the most conservative members of Congress and is far more authentic in that regard than Rep. Elise Stefanik of New York, who is her likely replacement. But Stefanik has the essential qualification in the party of Trump: complete loyalty to the former President and a willingness to amplify his lies about election fraud.
There is very little sign – apart from a few honorable exceptions like Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah and Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois – of any appetite in the party to change its delusional and anti-democratic course.
Senate Minority Whip John Thune, a South Dakota Republican who has stated publicly that Biden won an election that was not stolen, had a warning for his party on Tuesday, as Trump issued new and false claims about voter fraud.

“If we continue to rehash the 2020 election, we’re going to lose the 2022 election. If we’re talking about jobs and economy and national security and safe streets and strong borders and energy independence … we got a really good path to get the majorities back in ‘22,” he said.

Cheney countered criticisms of her conduct by telling her colleagues they had a patriotic duty to speak up, not least because a new Cold War may be brewing, this time with China, and Trump’s malfeasance was playing into propaganda designed to show America as a failed nation.

“Remaining silent and ignoring the lie emboldens the liar,” Cheney said, in a passage that seemed especially directed at McCarthy.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/12/politics ... index.html

Trump is already out saying Cheney is "a bitter, horrible human being".

I have nothing in common with her but respect her position.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Liz Cheney kicked out of the House Republican leadership

I hate everything she represents politically, but have to give her props for being true to the Constitution, her truths regarding the orange dump and her fear for this nation should that orange POS ever get near the Oval Office, again. I'd say she qualifies for the JFK "Profiles in Courage" award.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Being the Head Coward in the Den of Cowards called the Republican Congressional Caucus, McCarthy set it up as a voice vote, rushed it through SO fast that some members were still entering when it was called and couldn't vote. The idea of the voice vote is so that you can't tell who voted "AYE" or "NAY" thus protecting any particular rep from being called out. EXTREME act of cowardice. I'm surprised Kev didn't have a 2nd vote to strip Cheney of her committee seats.

Being called a bunch of dirty names by the Orange Shit is a badge of honor. I'm no fan of Liz Cheney, but at least, at the very end, she's for the Constitution, unlike all but ten of her caucus fellows. And, unlike the Den of Cowards, she has a backbone, unlike spineless, ball-less McCarthy.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

McCarthy and Republicans don't want a split party going into the 2022 midterm elections, so they rally around Trump for now. Senate Republicans act more independently but McConnell too is looking at 2022 since 5 Republicans aren't running for reelection. Cheney could very well lose her House seat next year but like a bloodhound, I think she'll pursue Trump to the bitter end.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Trump gloats about Liz Cheney's ouster and calls her a 'bitter, horrible human being'

Former President Donald Trump on Wednesday gloated about House Republicans' vote to oust Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) from her leadership position with a statement that included a typical stream of personal insults.

"Liz Cheney is a bitter, horrible human being," the twice-impeached former one-term president wrote. "I watched her yesterday and realized how bad she is for the Republican Party."

Trump then accused her of being a "warmonger whose family stupidly pushed us into the never-ending Middle East Disaster."

Despite her own party's disapproval, Cheney is vowing not to back off her criticisms of Trump and the role he played in inciting riots in the United States Capitol building on January 6th.

"I will do everything I can to ensure that the former president never again gets anywhere near the Oval Office," Cheney said after being ousted. "We have seen the danger that he continues to provoke with his language. We have seen his lack of commitment and dedication to the Constitution and I think it's very important that we make sure whomever we elect is somebody who will be faithful to the Constitution."
https://www.rawstory.com/trump-cheney-2652961605/

This is definitely the Pot calling the Kettle, just what we expected. TFG sinks to his normal kindergarten schoolyard bully tactics of name calling, surprise he didn't call her a poo-poo head.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,