Texas high schoolers had a mock 'slave auction' where they put prices on Black classmates

Several high schoolers in Aledo, Texas are facing punishments after their school discovered they held a virtual "slave auction" where they put prices on Black classmates.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that a group of white ninth graders used Snapchat to set up mock "auctions" for Black classmates where they would bid anywhere from $1 to $100.

While the school has not detailed how the students who set up the auction are being disciplined, Superintendent Dr. Susan Bohn said that she wanted to make clear that racism has no place in her school district.

Tired of ads? Want to support our progressive journalism? Click to learn more.
"There is no room for racism or hatred in the Aledo ISD, period," Bohn said. "Using inappropriate, offensive and racially charged language and conduct is completely unacceptable and is prohibited by district policy."

Tony Crawford, an activist and leader with Parker County Progressives, tells the Star-Telegram that there have been "a long line" of racist incidents at the school.

"Can you imagine what it's like for somebody to put a price on your head?" he said. "I cannot imagine the embarrassment and hurt that people you might be friends with are having that conversation."
https://www.rawstory.com/aledo-school-slave-auction/

This doesn't surprise me at all. Wife taught at the high school 30 years ago. It was a little country school district then. It has since grown up due to white flight and money. This is the town and ISD that prides itself on having the football team with a history of most championships in the state. When my wife was there, the school district that had to raise the Superintendent's salary because the new high school football coach salary would be more and that was a violation of Texas Law. This is a proTrump Evangelical Area. It is one of the more progressive areas of Parker County. Some areas you go too in that county is like going back to 1950.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,