Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

sig230 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am And guess which lawyer Trump says he ain't gonna pay?
Just saw that. Karma is a bitch. What are the chances Rudy will spill his guts? On a 1-10 scale I say 8. I'm guessing Turd figures he'll need the money more than Rudy - not that he gave or gives a shit what happens to anyone outside of himself.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

sig230 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am And guess which lawyer Trump says he ain't gonna pay?
As soon as I heard that Guiliani wanted $20K/day I knew Trump would stiff him. Trump ALWAYS stiffs lawyers who don't win for him, and usually stiffs the ones who do.
In fact, if Trump has to pay "you" with his own money, he won't. Period. He'll only pay you with someone ELSE's money, like us tax-payers.

More seriously, the reason most of the 197 Republicans who voted against Impeachment last night didn't do it because they are dedicated Trumpists. They did it because they believe if they voted for the Article, one or more dedicated Trumpists would put a bullet in their head or their family's. Because they would.

Intimidation. Trump leads a (dis)organized crime consortium.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

K9s wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:21 am
Ylatkit wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:16 am Maybe for you. If I were set against you, my lawyer would get in touch, because there's plenty of ambiguity there. It depends on where you're standing and what you want to see. It's why we have lawyers.

Tell me this: if it's so clear, how is McConnell ignoring it with impunity? There's only a few hundred Democrats there, with dozens of law degrees, how is it clear to you, but all those folks missed it?
Lawyers are irrelevant and unnecessary. This isn't a court of law.

McConnell still makes the rules for the Senate for the next week. He has been giving every Dem the finger for a decade or more. Why would he stop now? He just wants the new Senate to waste time on this instead of removing Trump.
Impeachment is a political process, but it has a legal framework which is the Constitution. Tom Cotton of AR has already voiced opposition to a trial because Trump will be out of office. That's the same argument that I expect Trump's lawyers to assert in federal courts all the way up to SCOTUS. The House apparently already delivered the impeachment article to the Senate but it's in recess and apparently McConnell and most senators don't want to return for a trial so they'll stay away until January 19th. Then it's up to Schumer who is a lawyer and understands the uncharted minefield he's walking into if he starts the process of an impeachment trial.

The Republicans who voted for impeachment are already getting pushback.
Cheney, the No. 3 in the House Republican leadership as the GOP Conference Chair, is getting flak from the Wyoming Republican Party and her congressional colleagues.

Members of the House Freedom Caucus circulated a petition Wednesday to force a vote on a resolution calling on Cheney to resign from her post. The resolution states Cheney's position "has brought the Conference into disrepute and produced discord." The Wyoming GOP issued a lengthy statement early Thursday lambasting Cheney. The party alleges its received harsh comments from its members saying, "Our telephone has not stopped ringing, our email is filling up, and our website has seen more traffic than at any previous time."

Those comments accused Cheney of aligning herself with "the beltway elites" and "with leftists."
Katko and Rice were also slammed by their state's conservative groups. So far, however, those organizations have yet to comment on whether they will continue to support the lawmakers through the end of their terms.

The Conservative Party of New York State said the organization was "very disappointed" in Katko's vote in favor of impeachment. The organization said, "We consider his action ill-informed. It will do nothing to end the national divide and will likely further aggravate it."
South Carolina GOP Chairman Drew McKissick called impeachment a "political stunt" and slammed Rice for voting in favor of it.

"Democrats have been looking for any excuse to get rid of President Trump ever since he set foot in the Oval Office," McKissick said in a statement Wednesday. "We completely disagree with this sham and to say I'm severely disappointed in Congressman Tom Rice would be an understatement."
Kinzinger told the Chicago Sun Times that he may lose close relationships over his vote to impeach Trump.

He said, "I've heard from friends that don't want to be friends with me anymore. I've had family members who are somewhat distant relatives sign a petition disowning me," citing "Bible verses and that I was part of the devil's army. That actually reemboldened me because I believe that we are fighting, you know, against a lot of misinformation, where even people that are Christians have been misled."
https://www.npr.org/2021/01/14/95671424 ... each-trump
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 am
K9s wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:21 am
Ylatkit wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:16 am Maybe for you. If I were set against you, my lawyer would get in touch, because there's plenty of ambiguity there. It depends on where you're standing and what you want to see. It's why we have lawyers.

Tell me this: if it's so clear, how is McConnell ignoring it with impunity? There's only a few hundred Democrats there, with dozens of law degrees, how is it clear to you, but all those folks missed it?
Lawyers are irrelevant and unnecessary. This isn't a court of law.

McConnell still makes the rules for the Senate for the next week. He has been giving every Dem the finger for a decade or more. Why would he stop now? He just wants the new Senate to waste time on this instead of removing Trump.
Impeachment is a political process, but it has a legal framework which is the Constitution. Tom Cotton of AR has already voiced opposition to a trial because Trump will be out of office. That's the same argument that I expect Trump's lawyers to assert in federal courts all the way up to SCOTUS. The House apparently already delivered the impeachment article to the Senate but it's in recess and apparently McConnell and most senators don't want to return for a trial so they'll stay away until January 19th. Then it's up to Schumer who is a lawyer and understands the uncharted minefield he's walking into if he starts the process of an impeachment trial.

The Republicans who voted for impeachment are already getting pushback.
Cheney, the No. 3 in the House Republican leadership as the GOP Conference Chair, is getting flak from the Wyoming Republican Party and her congressional colleagues.

Members of the House Freedom Caucus circulated a petition Wednesday to force a vote on a resolution calling on Cheney to resign from her post. The resolution states Cheney's position "has brought the Conference into disrepute and produced discord." The Wyoming GOP issued a lengthy statement early Thursday lambasting Cheney. The party alleges its received harsh comments from its members saying, "Our telephone has not stopped ringing, our email is filling up, and our website has seen more traffic than at any previous time."

Those comments accused Cheney of aligning herself with "the beltway elites" and "with leftists."
Katko and Rice were also slammed by their state's conservative groups. So far, however, those organizations have yet to comment on whether they will continue to support the lawmakers through the end of their terms.

The Conservative Party of New York State said the organization was "very disappointed" in Katko's vote in favor of impeachment. The organization said, "We consider his action ill-informed. It will do nothing to end the national divide and will likely further aggravate it."
South Carolina GOP Chairman Drew McKissick called impeachment a "political stunt" and slammed Rice for voting in favor of it.

"Democrats have been looking for any excuse to get rid of President Trump ever since he set foot in the Oval Office," McKissick said in a statement Wednesday. "We completely disagree with this sham and to say I'm severely disappointed in Congressman Tom Rice would be an understatement."
Kinzinger told the Chicago Sun Times that he may lose close relationships over his vote to impeach Trump.

He said, "I've heard from friends that don't want to be friends with me anymore. I've had family members who are somewhat distant relatives sign a petition disowning me," citing "Bible verses and that I was part of the devil's army. That actually reemboldened me because I believe that we are fighting, you know, against a lot of misinformation, where even people that are Christians have been misled."
https://www.npr.org/2021/01/14/95671424 ... each-trump
This is why the Republican Party is no longer an American party, devoted to the Constitution, to Justice, to Truth and facts. They don't give a FLYING FUCK that the Capitol was invaded by people hunting down the Vice-President, Speaker, and Senate Minority Leader in order to kill them, in fact they (secretly) ENDORSE it! They don't give FLYING FUCK that the President of the United States ORDERED the attack, that he is trying his damnedest to overturn the election and make himself Dictator For Life.

Every damn one of them, attacking Democrats, defending Trump and secretly wishing the attack had succeeded is a traitor through and through. And they will continue to be traitors until we either have a civil war, divide into 2 nations, The United Blue States of America, and Dumfukistan, or enough of them are rooted out, indicted, prosecuted, and sent to prison for Sedition and Insurrection, which should be, if not already, defined as Capital Offenses.

As for McConnell, while he personally detests Trump, his TOP priority is acting in whatever way is necessary to regain his Senate Leadership status, which he loses when Biden, Warnock, and Ossoff are all sworn in probably on the 22 or 23rd (the 2 GA Sens), or, if before that, Murkowski flips, in which case on the 20th. He MAY try to get Manchin to flip, but I doubt Joe will. Much greater power as the keystone to the winning side. As a key Republican, all he could do is help McConnell block legislation. As a key Dem, he can force it to be crafted to meet his and his state's needs.

IF McConnell determines that conviction is best for his chances of regaining the Majority, he'll make it happen. If not, he'll ensure acquittal. He doesn't ACTUALLY care, or if he does, it's less important than regaining the majority.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I overheard 2 people at a grocery store last night talking about the impeachment. They were obviously Trumpsters. They were both in agreement that the Chinese communist party runs the American media and that Nancy Pelosi is a Satanist. The fact that they were saying this stuff with a straight face and not a hint of sarcasm disturbed the hell out of me.

UtahGuy202 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:44 am I overheard 2 people at a grocery store last night talking about the impeachment. They were obviously Trumpsters. They were both in agreement that the Chinese communist party runs the American media and that Nancy Pelosi is a Satanist. The fact that they were saying this stuff with a straight face and not a hint of sarcasm disturbed the hell out of me.
Whoa!! Thought for a minute you might be in Texas !! :D
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:49 am
UtahGuy202 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:44 am I overheard 2 people at a grocery store last night talking about the impeachment. They were obviously Trumpsters. They were both in agreement that the Chinese communist party runs the American media and that Nancy Pelosi is a Satanist. The fact that they were saying this stuff with a straight face and not a hint of sarcasm disturbed the hell out of me.
Whoa!! Thought for a minute you might be in Texas !! :D
Utah. The Mormon version of Texas!!! :laugh:

Were they wearing masks? The ones I see around here never voluntarily wear a mask.

Trump's Great Horny Shaman just put the screws to Trump.
QAnon shaman accidentally unravels GOP impeachment defense: ‘He came at the request of the president’

House Republicans defended President Donald Trump from impeachment by insisting that he never encouraged his supporters to violently storm the U.S. Capitol, but court documents show those insurrectionists believed they were carrying out his orders.

The president addressed supporters Jan. 6 in Washington, D.C., where he urged them to "peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard" by marching on the Capitol, and GOP lawmakers seized on those words in their impeachment defense -- but one of the most recognizable figures in the siege told investigators he was doing what he believed Trump wanted.
https://www.rawstory.com/jacob-angeli/
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:54 am
Were they wearing masks? The ones I see around here never voluntarily wear a mask.

Trump's Great Horny Shaman just put the screws to Trump.
QAnon shaman accidentally unravels GOP impeachment defense: ‘He came at the request of the president’

House Republicans defended President Donald Trump from impeachment by insisting that he never encouraged his supporters to violently storm the U.S. Capitol, but court documents show those insurrectionists believed they were carrying out his orders.

The president addressed supporters Jan. 6 in Washington, D.C., where he urged them to "peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard" by marching on the Capitol, and GOP lawmakers seized on those words in their impeachment defense -- but one of the most recognizable figures in the siege told investigators he was doing what he believed Trump wanted.
https://www.rawstory.com/jacob-angeli/
They weren't masks. Big surprise, right?

Rep. Peter Meijer, one of 10 Republicans who voted to impeach President Donald Trump Wednesday, said he and some of his colleagues are buying body armor and altering their daily routines due to fear of violence.

“It’s sad that we have to get to that point, but you know our expectation is that someone may try to kill us,” Meijer, R-Mich., said Thursday in an interview on MSNBC.

Meijer said the body armor is a reimbursable purchase.

“We don't know what's going to happen next. We weren't expecting for the Capitol to get overrun for the first time in 200 years,” he said. “And so in this unprecedented environment with an unprecedented degree of fear of divisiveness and hatred, we have to account for every scenario.”
Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif., the chairwoman of the panel overseeing the administration of the Capitol, told reporters at the Capitol Tuesday that reimbursements for body armor were not a new policy.

“That is not new. That's been the case, for multiple years. People asked, you know, what were allowable expenses, and...those have been allowable expenses for years," she said.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 158935001/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I suspect the advice DC public defenders are giving is - "implicate the President under oath, and anyone else who was there, and we'll cut a deal."

Any smart lawyer working for Trump should probably take a different tack. "It's $100 million up front before we provide counsel. Okay, now that my bank has confirmed, here's how you beat the charges. Donate everything to charity. Admit everything. Commit suicide. Here's the list for you, in crayon. We're terminating our relationship."

Trump is struggling to find lawyers who will defend him in 2nd impeachment trial

As his second impeachment trial draws closer, President Trump is reportedly having trouble finding lawyers to represent him, according to a new report from Bloomberg.

"Allies of the outgoing president have been canvassing Washington's legal landscape looking for representation but so far are coming up short," the report states. "Lawyers who defended him in the previous impeachment trial, including Jay Sekulow and White House Counsel Pat Cipollone, have said no this time, according to people familiar with the matter."

Other lawyers who have previously defended Trump, such as former Florida attorney general Pam Bondi, Eric Herschmann, Pat Philbin and Marc Kasowitz, have declined to join his legal team this time around. Some who have declined the role said that they refuse to do so due to Trump's conduct.

"I'm not terribly surprised that top tier conservative attorneys who a Republican president might normally turn to would not be interested in jumping on this particular grenade," Keith Whittington, a politics professor at Princeton University, told Bloomberg. "Those who might have been sympathetic to defending the president in other contexts such as his first impeachment don't necessarily want to defend what he's done here -- both because they aren't easy to defend and they'll tarnish people's professional reputation down the road."
https://www.rawstory.com/trump-impeachment-2649942828/

Doesn't do your reputation any good when you try and defend a sorry ass loser like Trump. Especially when he won't pay and would probably try and sue you for his losing the case.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

How ‘bout that video of a crowd pushing into the the Capitol building chanting, “Hang Mike Pence! Hang Mike Pence!...”

And the photos of the two rioters with flex-cuffs milling about looking for people to “detain”. What do you imagine they were there to do with hand-cuffs? -On who’s authority but their own?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lhjRXO72v1s

Individually I get that these people wouldn’t have the guts to grab or kill an elected official from Congress. But as a mob, people feel emboldened to do things that they would be ashamed of on their own. We see that now with each of them saying they are sorry for what they did... when in custody standing in front of a judge.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Ylatkit wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:53 pm What is the evidence that the mob was there to kill Pelosi and Pence?
I mean, we can't really "know" for sure why anybody was there. I'm sure some might have just tripped into the Capitol after they asked a friendly neighborhood Antifa member where the bathroom was. We can't expect to hold Karens and Donald's accountable for...anything, this is America.

Watching the video of mob violence storming the Capitol, never forget that a police officer was killed that day. He was killed trying to prevent the mob from overrunning the Capitol. He was not merely protecting the building from looting or vandalism but protecting elected officials and their staffers and news reporters who simply go to work everyday in the Capitol building as their job. He was responsible for human lives and he died in the line of duty.

!!!At the hands of an emboldened mob willing to kill mindlessly, indiscriminately!!!

Few know what it feels like to actually face that kind of hell: of an angry mob willing to kill you to get to others. One other Capitol Police officer was so despondent he took his own life the day following the riot.
Last edited by Bisbee on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi