Amazon suspends Parler, threatening to take pro-Trump site offline indefinitely

I assume they will just move hosting to Russia?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... uspension/
Amazon suspended the pro-Trump social network Parler from its Web-hosting service this weekend, a move that threatens to darken the site indefinitely after its users glorified the recent riot at the U.S. Capitol.

The e-commerce and Web-hosting giant said Parler had violated its terms of service given its inadequate content-moderation practices, adding in a letter that it would implement its punishment just before midnight Pacific time Monday.

The move by Amazon Web Services, or AWS, marks the latest and most crippling blow for the pro-Trump social network, which has emerged as a haven for conservative users who have fled more mainstream Silicon Valley sites that crack down on harmful, viral falsehoods online. Earlier this week, Apple and Google removed Parler’s app from their stores for smartphone downloads, similarly citing concerns that posts on Parler could contribute to violence.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Amazon suspends Parler, threatening to take pro-Trump site offline indefinitely

Inquisitor wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:41 am Yea. I’d hate for them to decide they didn’t like us.
I suspect that if lefties don't spread lies, support insurrection, sedition, make plans to attack our government, false rumors about pizza and child pedophilia, falsehood after falsehoods, seriously support assassination - chances of any platform turning on them are slim to none. I find absolutely nothing wrong with silencing this trash talk when it comes to this nation continue to exist as we have known in - and I don't care which side of the political spectrum it affects - left or right.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Re: Amazon suspends Parler, threatening to take pro-Trump site offline indefinitely

Diversity of opinion is ok, but alternative facts are lies. I can tolerate people bending the truth, but I’m hostile to them inventing it from whole cloth.

The attack on Congress for merely upholding the result of a free and fair election is unprecedented, so the unprecedented actions taken by big tech is appropriate. Violence against democracy shall not be tolerated.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Wino wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:51 am
Inquisitor wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:41 am Yea. I’d hate for them to decide they didn’t like us.
I suspect that if lefties don't spread lies, support insurrection, sedition, make plans to attack our government, false rumors about pizza and child pedophilia, falsehood after falsehoods, seriously support assassination - chances of any platform turning on them are slim to none. I find absolutely nothing wrong with silencing this trash talk when it comes to this nation continue to exist as we have known in - and I don't care which side of the political spectrum it affects - left or right.
Exactly. Free Speech has never been unlimited. You cannot slander and libel, incite violence, plan a crime, etc. If there was unlimited free speech, ALL conspiracy laws would be unconstitutional because they are for charging people for talking and communicating...to plan a crime.

And the censors on FB, Twitter, and all the rest are getting really itchy trigger fingers. Ed Gardner and Lara Smith have been warning on our FB closed forum about what can't be said as it may trigger the censors.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Parler will survive on another platform like 9kun (8chan) and Stormfront have done. However can Trump's ego survive on a small platform without 89 million followers? A lot of those "Twitter followers" were media, corporations, foreign governments...who followed him because he was newsworthy, he announced policies, hirings, firings and government actions when he's an ex-president he's just another talking head without any power.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:14 am Parler will survive on another platform like 9kun (8chan) and Stormfront have done. However can Trump's ego survive on a small platform without 89 million followers? A lot of those "Twitter followers" were media, corporations, foreign governments...who followed him because he was newsworthy, he announced policies, hirings, firings and government actions when he's an ex-president he's just another talking head without any power.
i hope you're not prematurely writing him off. he literally knows no shame and will cheerfully lie to your face even when he knows that you know it's a lie. he has some large subset of 74 million sycophantic followers still. when he and his 3 oldest children are dead or in prison, then we can begin to relax.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:45 am
highdesert wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:14 am Parler will survive on another platform like 9kun (8chan) and Stormfront have done. However can Trump's ego survive on a small platform without 89 million followers? A lot of those "Twitter followers" were media, corporations, foreign governments...who followed him because he was newsworthy, he announced policies, hirings, firings and government actions when he's an ex-president he's just another talking head without any power.
i hope you're not prematurely writing him off. he literally knows no shame and will cheerfully lie to your face even when he knows that you know it's a lie. he has some large subset of 74 million sycophantic followers still. when he and his 3 oldest children are dead or in prison, then we can begin to relax.
I'm not writing him off, but his bullhorn will be smaller and he won't be sucking the oxygen out of every political discussion in the US. I agree, Trump and Trumpism aren't going away or are his insipid progeny. Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley and others will try to pick up his populist mantle and we'll see where that goes. I'm just not convinced that the 74 million votes he got were true believers, like the votes that Biden got - Trump wasn't the Democrat or Biden and there were single issue voters like gun owners. Republicans have been very forgiving of Trump and his behavior including evangelicals. Time will tell.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Cop union joins Parler — just as the Twitter competitor for extremists gets deplatformed

Fort Worth Police Officers Association on Twitter.
As social media companies crack down on incitements of violence following Wednesday's fatal insurrection by Donald Trump supporters at the U.S. Capitol, right wing voices have been flocking to Parler to avoid having their accounts shut down.

Parler has gained an audience as a right-wing alternative to Twitter by promising to allow behavior that other companies have banned.

There has been renewed interest in the site following Trump's permanent suspension from Twitter -- which had long been his favorite social media site.

The Fort Worth Police Officers Association joined the website on Saturday, where some people incite violence.

"Have a safe weekend!" was included in the subsequently deleted tweet, which was seen by this reporter and captured in a screengrab by reporter Keri Blakinger of the Marshall Project.

But Parler's future is now in doubt.

"Amazon on Saturday kicked Parler off its Web hosting services. Parler, a social network favored by conservative politicians and extremists, was used to help plan and coordinate the January 6 attempted coup on Washington D.C. It has recently been overrun with messages encouraging 'Patriots' to march on Washington D.C. with weapons on January 19," BuzzFeed News reported Saturday evening.

"Amazon's suspension of Parler's account means that unless it can find another host, once the ban takes effect on Sunday Parler will go offline," BuzzFeed's John Paczkowski noted.
https://www.rawstory.com/parler-app/

Maybe the Russian's will host it.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

K9s wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:20 am I assume they will just move hosting to Russia?
My first thought too. I saw a database earlier recording Twitter bans for people and accounts close to him for "attempting to circumvent a ban." His email provider cut him off too. Funny that.

I enjoy this gif.
Barack Obama - “Guess who can still tweet motherfuc-”
https://twitter.com/ChrisCJackson/statu ... 5832039424

The President has a wide array of legal emergency powers that include the ability to send text messages to every cell phone in the country, along with the ability to seize control of effectively any means of wire or broadcast communication. This isn't over if the people around him don't want it to be over.

Edith Wilson effectively ran the country for months after Woodrow Wilson's stroke, using her husband's incapacitation and social isolation to great effect. It got us the 25th Amendment, but it also illustrates that we don't need it. I've seen that they moved Donny to Camp David, perhaps one of the secure nuclear bunker facilities. Maybe locked in a bathroom. For his protection.