Re: Dow drops a thou

kronkmusic wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:13 am
wooglin wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:05 am Warren's plan on bailouts:
  • Companies must maintain payrolls and use federal funds to keep people working.
    Businesses must provide $15 an hour minimum wage quickly but no later than a year from the end
    Companies would be permanently banned from engaging in stock buybacks.
    Companies would be barred from paying out dividends or executive bonuses while they receive federal funds and the ban would be in place for three years.
    Businesses would have to provide at least one seat to workers on their board of directors, though it could be more depending on size of the rescue package.
    Collective bargaining agreements must remain in place.
    Corporate boards must get shareholder approval for all political spending.
    CEOs must certify their companies are complying with the rules and face criminal penalties for violating them
https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1029006340
It's a decent plan. I like forcing them to provide board seats for worker representation, though I'd add in partial public and worker ownership. Why should tax payers give $10billion to a company and then not share in it's future profits?
I would say this has as much chance in passing as a snowball in hell would have surviving. Consider this -
Here Are the 51 Republican Senators Who Just Voted Against Expanding Paid Sick Leave to All Workers

Republican senators on Wednesday teamed up to kill an amendment introduced by Democratic Sen. Patty Murray that would have expanded paid sick leave to millions of U.S. workers left out of a bipartisan coronavirus relief package.

Every Republican present for the vote, 51 in total, voted against the amendment while every Senate Democrat voted in favor.

Sens. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) and Rick Scott (R-Fla.) were the only senators who did not vote on the amendment, which would have guaranteed two weeks of paid sick leave as well as 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave to all U.S. employees and independent contractors.

"[Fifty one] Republican senators just voted against an amendment... that would have expanded paid leave to millions of Americans left out of the package," tweeted progressive advocacy group Indivisible. "Let that sink in."

"If one of these Republicans (or two!) is your senator," the group added, "call their office right now and tell them you saw their vote and you won't forget that they voted against the Murray amendment to expand paid sick leave to millions of Americans: 1-855-980-2355."

The full coronavirus relief package, formally known as the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, easily passed the Senate Wednesday afternoon by a vote of 90-8, and President Donald Trump subsequently signed the measure into law.

While calling it an urgently needed first step, progressives criticized the legislation as woefully inadequate given that it only provides paid sick leave to about 20% of the U.S. private sector workforce while excluding workers at companies with more than 500 employees.

In a speech on the Senate floor ahead of Wednesday's vote, Murray pitched her amendment as a "commonsense step" that would be good for both workers and small businesses. The amendment was a modified version of the PAID Leave Act, which Murray introduced Tuesday alongside Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.).

"It's the right thing to do for our economy and for public health—and we should get it done as soon as possible," Murray said. "If we don't do this, if we let this opportunity slip by, we are sending a message to scared people across the country that we still are not willing to acknowledge the scope of the tragedy we are seeing unfold."
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/ ... -leave-all
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

CDFingers wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:29 pm Just read about a guy my age remembered back in the day we had so much toilet paper we'd hang it from the trees of our enemies.

CDFingers
And the trees of our girl friends. But maybe that was before your time.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Unemployment numbers are exploding. In just one week, more people lost their jobs than were created in ANY quarter since Duh Furor stole the White House. And it's going to get far, far worse before it gets better.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin said Friday that the Trump administration has decided to push the income tax filing date to July 15 from April 15.

California announced a similar move regarding state taxes Wednesday, citing the coronavirus pandemic.

Mnuchin announced the federal decision in a tweet saying that at President Trump’s direction “we are moving Tax Day from April 15 to July 15. All taxpayers and businesses will have this additional time to file and make payments without interest or penalties.”

The administration had announced earlier in the week that it would delay the filing deadline, a move that Mnuchin said would leave $300 billion in the economy at a crucial time.
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... m-april-15
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sig230 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:31 pm
CDFingers wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:29 pm Just read about a guy my age remembered back in the day we had so much toilet paper we'd hang it from the trees of our enemies.

CDFingers
I had a '66 Chevy van with shag carpet, paneled walls, padded interior, a Persian carpet on the ceiling in the back, and an American flag on the ceiling of the cab. Redwood bumpers. Needless to say I had no time to TP my girlfriend's house, as she was with me, as it were, Painted orange with big tires on the back and Cragar mags all around, everyone wanted to ride in it. Three on the tree and a 289.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:19 am

CDFingers
I had a '66 Chevy van with shag carpet, paneled walls, padded interior, a Persian carpet on the ceiling in the back, and an American flag on the ceiling of the cab. Redwood bumpers. Needless to say I had no time to TP my girlfriend's house, as she was with me, as it were, Painted orange with big tires on the back and Cragar mags all around, everyone wanted to ride in it. Three on the tree and a 289.

CDFingers
With a sign that said,"Don't Come Knockin' If This Van's Rockin'" :yahoo:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

CDFingers wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:19 am I had a '66 Chevy van with shag carpet, paneled walls, padded interior, a Persian carpet on the ceiling in the back, and an American flag on the ceiling of the cab. Redwood bumpers. Needless to say I had no time to TP my girlfriend's house, as she was with me, as it were, Painted orange with big tires on the back and Cragar mags all around, everyone wanted to ride in it. Three on the tree and a 289.
CDFingers
mine was a 72, no chrome, no padding, pine, no persian, no redwood. the paint was blotchy peeling white and i called it moby dick, the great white whale. it was home for the better part of a year. seems so long ago. i was broke and homeless and didn't much care.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Not only is the DJIA down AGAIN today, down nearly 500 points. but the 50 day moving average is not only below the 100 day moving average, it's almost on top of the 200 day moving average, and crossing THAT will be catastrophic.

No matter what Duh Furor does, the Trump Virus is even more brainless than he is, being nothing more than a blob of RNA. That's why people can't just go back to work and MUST stay home! And the market knows it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

CDFingers

CDFingers
I must admit, I'm puzzled by one thing: " and a 289" did you mean 283? 289 was a Ford.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

geno wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:50 pm I must admit, I'm puzzled by one thing: " and a 289" did you mean 283? 289 was a Ford.
ladies and gentlemen, i believe we are in the presence of a motorhead. :bow:
Last edited by lurker on Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

If I remember correctly, Ford's two baby V-8s were the 260 and 289. Carroll Shelby shoe-horned both into Sunbeam Alpines to create the Sunbeam Tiger, Max Smart's original car. My cousin had one, the 260. And my parents' '64 Fairlane 500 had it too, but not nearly as pumped-up as the 'beam.

Today's close, as people don't want hold risk over the weekend, is grim. Didn't break through 19000, but damn close.

lurker wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:02 pm
geno wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:50 pm I must admit, I'm puzzled by one thing: " and a 289" did you mean 283? 289 was a Ford.
ladies and gentlemen, i believe we are in the presenc of a motorhead. :bow:
I may not be a true motorhead, but living in and around Detroit (I use the French pronunciation by the way) for 27 yrs.
some of it is bound to soak in!
Plus I have owned them both in the distant past.

Hell, I even owned a 318 Hemi once, a engine so rare that I was transferred to three people in Chrysler engineering department before
before I talked to someone who remembered it. Mine was in a '57 Power Wagon, a true redheaded step-child if every there was one!
Last edited by geno on Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

Dow plunges more than 925 points as Wall Street wraps up worst week since 2008 financial crisis

The three major U.S. indexes exchanged early-session gains for steep losses — erasing all Trump-era growth — as investors try to fathom where the coronavirus pandemic will eventually leave the U.S. economy. Crude oil, meanwhile, plunged below $20 a barrel.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:35 pm Dow plunges more than 925 points as Wall Street wraps up worst week since 2008 financial crisis

The three major U.S. indexes exchanged early-session gains for steep losses — erasing all Trump-era growth — as investors try to fathom where the coronavirus pandemic will eventually leave the U.S. economy. Crude oil, meanwhile, plunged below $20 a barrel.
I paid $2.29 yesterday where it was $2.59 before this started.

We haven't seen the bottom yet. The 50 day moving average is now only 5 points above the 200 day...really, really bad.

CDFingers

CDFingers
I had a '67 Camaro in '67. Blue with white nose band. But it had no AC and I moved to Phoenix and it was July and so a BRG MGB with a rag top sounded like a better idea. Once we made the grand loop up to Flag and then over and down the dirt road through the forest to the rim. At one point the light caught eyes crossing the road so we slowed way down until we realized it was a wolf with the eyes seeming considerably higher than the windscreen of the MGB.

Fortunately he turned and walked off into the night and we did not wait to see if he was alone.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

lurker wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:02 pm
ladies and gentlemen, i believe we are in the presenc of a motorhead. :bow:
Right you are! The 289 was in the Mustang. Still wish I had that Persian carpet, though. That straight 6 sat between the driver seat and passenger seat, though the girls liked to ride on the engine compartment. Days before seat belt laws. I am so thankful I never killed anyone with our unsafe passenger stacking. Recalling those thrilling days of yesteryear when we'd all get in the van and go to the drive in movies! Fun times.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack