Re: Dow drops a thou

Could be a good old fashioned pump and dump. How else would stock prices be going up while simultaneously profits are plunging?

Well, you could also be buying stocks using condos bought with Russian mob cash as collateral. Sell high and not only launder your cash but profit on it as well. Then you dodge taxes by investing in your Underwater Basket Weaving School in the Caymans. Zhweet

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

If you’re a good friend with the Great Orange Leader & Virus Expert you can get a carve out to save your ass even if your corporation isn’t in the US and you pay no taxes in the US.
Cruise industry can’t use the stimulus because they aren’t American companies — but White House says they want to make an exception

One of the industries seeking a bailout amid the coronavirus pandemic is the cruise industry — tourism has crashed as the disaster has unfolded, particularly after the disastrous and well-publicized incidents of cruise passengers being quarantined on their own ships.

But the cruise industry would be an odd choice for a bailout for a simple reason: Most of these companies are not American. Even most of the cruise lines that target American tourists typically register their ships in foreign ports and employ mainly foreign workers, to avoid U.S. tax, labor, and environmental laws.

And indeed, according to CNBC reporter Kayla Tausche, this could make bailing out the industry difficult, because the stimulus programs are not targeted at offshore entities. But the administration has nonetheless reportedly promised that a “bipartisan Senate group” is working on carving out an exception for them.

President Donald Trump also happens to be personal friends with Micky Arison, the chairman of cruise industry giant Carnival Corp. Carnival also helped sponsor Trump’s reality show “The Apprentice” for several years.
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/cruis ... exception/

Let them have the bailout but the cruise ships get to be used by the US Navy for target practice, while those that allowed the bailout for the cruise lines, are aboard on a sailing holiday.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Peons like me don't matter to the Financial Market wizards. They are gonna manipulate the market and take their millions no matter what I want or need.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Cruise ships should be he next floating hospitals!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Futures markets looked strong overnight before the new unemployment numbers came out and the markets sank like a stone. 6.6 million new jobless claims to end March, totalling 10 million in just the last two weeks. I'm starting to think the estimates of 30 million unemployed were rather conservative.

Bisbee wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:58 am Cruise ships should be he next floating hospitals!
Actually, several of the cruise lines have offered empty ships as exactly that, starting with Carnival. Not only is it good PR, and put them in a position to justify bailout loans, it's also the RIGHT thing to do--a couple of thousand rooms, each with a private bath, long, easily navigable hallways in the guest areas, and ship-long, wide "Interstate 95" highways in the crew areas
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Just looked at oil prices and west Texas Crude is up over 4 dollars a barrel after Russia and the Saudis. announced production cuts. There goes the "cheap" gas. The market is up because of the expected boom in the oil sector according to the market watchers. Also the oil industry is counting on a Trump Bailout. I'm waiting for him to offer a bailout for Golfball manufactures to help them through the crisis.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:43 am Just looked at oil prices and west Texas Crude is up over 4 dollars a barrel after Russia and the Saudis. announced production cuts. There goes the "cheap" gas. The market is up because of the expected boom in the oil sector according to the market watchers. Also the oil industry is counting on a Trump Bailout. I'm waiting for him to offer a bailout for Golfball manufactures to help them through the crisis.
And ours is running $2.59 per gallon here. I'll top off today.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Costco here is now at $1.29 but the round trip would take a gallon of gas to go there and back and I'm not that low to make it payoff. Local gas is around $1.49

Lowest I've seen was last Sunday and most were in the $1.55 to $1.65 area. Since I don't go anywhere these days and don't plan on going out for another 8-9 days if possible, not idea what prices are today. I had gassed up Blazer and F150 back when it was just under $2.00 and haven't used enough to warrant buying more for either truck.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

TrueTexan wrote:Just looked at oil prices and west Texas Crude is up over 4 dollars a barrel after Russia and the Saudis. announced production cuts. There goes the "cheap" gas. The market is up because of the expected boom in the oil sector according to the market watchers. Also the oil industry is counting on a Trump Bailout. I'm waiting for him to offer a bailout for Golfball manufactures to help them through the crisis.
Yup, biggest positive movers today have been oil and chemical companies and those dependent on them: Chevron, Exxon Mobile, Caterpillar, Dow Inc.

Today is a perfect example of how the stock market is not the economy.

Well that Trump "announcement" re Saudi/Russia bounce went to shit in a hurry. Not surprised once it was stated "he thought that they would end oil war", not that they would. Pretty sure he helped some buddy make a killing this morning. FDT
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Not mine, but felt it fitting to share after the DJIA's completely illogical movements as of late.
BREAKING: Dow jumps 4,000 points today after aliens from Mars stated they want to kill all of humanity. This is the 7th straight day of 1000 point gains since the aliens landed and massacred 1.5 billion people. Investors on Wall Street, encouraged by signs of fiscal stimulus following human extinction, have reportedly turned face on the bear market, with the bulk of the gains being found in industrials and the tech sector. "Clearly, the Fed's response of endless QE and the giveaway of trillions of dollar has to be a sign of confidence in the markets," an unnamed Goldman executive** was quoted as saying. "Markets move with the FED, and neither housing crashes, pandemics, or the prospect of imminent human extinction at the hands of alien conquerors can slow a bull market." "Besides," he continued, "look at the numbers. 1.5 billion dead in 7 days, only 7 billion people left. Obviously this is unsustainable. I look forward to at least 4% growth in the next quarter, following human extinction." **note, following this interview, said Goldman executive was reportedly atomized by Martian invaders, during the eradication of New York City. Dow up 2,500 on the news of Wall Street's destruction.

kronkmusic wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:08 pm Not mine, but felt it fitting to share after the DJIA's completely illogical movements as of late.
BREAKING: Dow jumps 4,000 points today after aliens from Mars stated they want to kill all of humanity. news of Wall Street's destruction.
yes! BOUT F'IN' TIME!
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I would strongly hesitate to get back in right now. People aren't buying stuff right now, so we're going to see a downturn. Day traders will be the only ones who make any money.

CDFingers

This is classic. I don't mean "classical," as in has been done before and we know all about it. I mean a classic example of corporatism.
The data offers real-time evidence of a divide laid bare by the coronavirus pandemic — one in which wealthier people not only have more job security and benefits but also may be better able to avoid becoming sick. The outbreak is so new that the relationship between socioeconomic status and infection rates cannot be determined, but other data, including recent statistics released by public health officials in New York City, suggests that the coronavirus is hitting low-income neighborhoods the hardest.

Concerns about getting infected have incited protests and strikes by workers in grocery stores, delivery services and other industries who say their employers are not providing them with enough protection or compensation to counter the increased health risks, even as their jobs have been deemed essential.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ket-newtab

Not only, since the reign of St. Ronnie, have the rich gotten richer and the poor, poorer, but the rich have actually worked it so now it's just about exactly like slavery. The poor work themselves to death while the rich own the houses they poor live in, own the stores that sell them food, force the poor into sub standard schools via "charter schools" which appropriate public school buildings paid for by the people then exclude all but the rich, own the doctors who provide health care to them--I could rant on and on. Won't.

People younger than 50 cannot remember times of union jobs, an actual middle class, and when most politicians who understood public service.

Either we jail these criminals in politics or there will be blood. Those are the two stark choices we face. To me, the only choice is to dis elect then prosecute the criminal political class. Perhaps then The People can make laws for the benefit of all rather than for those with more money than god.

CDFingers