Re: Dow drops a thou

Also the evection will start as people can’t pay rent or house payments and the moratorium on evection stop on July 31st. Remember what happen in 2008 when the housing bubble burst well this is going to be worse. We are going to have families and single peoples out in the street with no place to go. Shelters can’t house them all. Not only housing for people but businesses will be elected because thy can’t pay rent. The landlords and owners of these building won’t be able to meet their payments and will get foreclosed on. Wall Street will gat a lot of property they can’t manage just like in 2008. Local and State governments that rely on property taxes will be in financial straits and have to cut services and layoff workers.

Maybe they might even foreclose on Trump and Kushner’s properties.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:16 pm Also the evection will start as people can’t pay rent or house payments and the moratorium on evection stop on July 31st. Remember what happen in 2008 when the housing bubble burst well this is going to be worse. We are going to have families and single peoples out in the street with no place to go. Shelters can’t house them all. Not only housing for people but businesses will be elected because thy can’t pay rent. The landlords and owners of these building won’t be able to meet their payments and will get foreclosed on. Wall Street will gat a lot of property they can’t manage just like in 2008. Local and State governments that rely on property taxes will be in financial straits and have to cut services and layoff workers.

Maybe they might even foreclose on Trump and Kushner’s properties.
The luxury hotel and resort businesses are suffering right now with very high vacancy rates.

I see no reason that States could not simply house the homeless in all those empty suites at Trump Tower. Don't worry about what Trump charges; follow his lead. Just don't pay the bills.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

When you have the President's Chief of Staff saying they just surrendered on trying to control the spread of the pandemic you can expect Wall Street to panic as all the wealthy dive for their doomsday bunkers.
'We're not going to control the pandemic' Trump chief of staff admits on live TV as COVID cases surge

White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows said in a Sunday morning appearance on CNN that "we're not going to control the pandemic," a remark that critics took as an open admission by a top official that the Trump administration has given up trying to stop the spread of a virus that has killed more than 224,000 Americans and counting.

"So here's what we have to do: We're not going to control the pandemic," said Meadows, who previously served in Congress as a Tea Party Republican. "We are gonna control the fact that we get vaccines, therapeutics, and other mitigation areas."
https://www.alternet.org/2020/10/were-n ... ses-surge/
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

The Idiot in Chief in the WH appointed the idiot Meadows, head of the wacko Freedom Caucus. Even if Trump wins, Meadows days are likely numbered.
The election is only eight days away, there's still no new stimulus package and the first look at how the economy fared in the third quarter will be reported on Thursday.
While earnings will inject volatility in the tech sector, "on a more macro level, ongoing US stalemate over US fiscal stimulus and the rapidly spreading Covid-19 is going to determine the direction for the wider markets," said Fawad Razaqzada, market analyst at Think Markets, in a note.

The ever-slimming chance of a new stimulus package before next week's election isn't a new factor for the market. And yet, it has been a big driver of the action over the past weeks, even as nothing has really changed as a result of recent negotiations. It shows just how important the recovery is for the market.

On top of that, Covid-19 infections are rising rapidly across Europe, where governments have brought back restrictions to stave off the spreading once again.

All of this is creating a cocktail of uncertainty that the market doesn't like one bit, and Wall Street opened lower.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/26/investin ... index.html
Last edited by highdesert on Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

COVID-19 infections aren't just spreading in Europe, just ask the medical people in El Paso and other parts of Texas. along with other states. We are headed for the second or third wave in October, the experts had formatted back earlier this year.

You can tell the administration has given up when Pence has five of his close advisors sick with COVID and yet he hasn't gone into quarantine. Instead he goes on to the campaign trail.

When tRump came down with COVID, the White House shouted have been declared a COVID Hotspot and locked down nobody in or out. The military could airdrop KFC, Big Macs, and Happy Meals too Donnie so he could be happy.

And just imagine what the market will do when states are still counting ballots on November 4th and the Orange Creature declares he's won. And his supporters start reelection partying in spite of the networks not calling the election, because networks are all fake news.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CNN headline:
Stocks are on track to wrap up their worst week since March
It has been a messy week for the stock market. With only four days to go until Election Day, rising Covid-19 infections and uncertainty about further government stimulus to help the economy, there's plenty for investors to worry about.

Stocks are on pace to record one of their worst weeks of the year: All three indexes are in the red and on track for their worst performance since March, when the market tumbled under the first wave of coronavirus infections and lockdowns.

The Dow (INDU) has so far fallen more than 7% this week and the S&P 500 (SPX) -- which is the broadest measure of Wall Street -- is down more than 6%. While we're not back in lockdown mode yet, some European countries have tightened restrictions again to combat a second wave. The Dow is also looking at its worst month since March.

At midday, the Dow is down 1.3%, or about 355 points, while the S&P is trading 1.7% lower at midday. But it's the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite (COMP) faring the worst on Friday, as tech stocks are getting clobbered. Shares of Apple (AAPL) and Amazon (AMZN), which reported earnings late Thursday, tumbled. Twitter (TWTR) stock was down nearly 20% at midday
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/30/investin ... index.html

Stocks traded sharply higher on Election Day, continuing their winning streak from the start of the week. After opening higher, the market continued to rally. The Dow (INDU) traded 2.3%, or more than 600 points, higher around mid-morning, while the S&P 500 (SPX) -- Wall Street's broadest measure -- climbed 2.1%. The Nasdaq Composite (COMP) was up nearly 2%. Last week, all three indexes recorded their worst weeks since March on uncertainty about rising Covid-19 infections, the prospect of government stimulus and the election results.

Betting markets continue to favor former Vice President Joe Biden to win the election, with PredictIt putting his chances at 64%. Analysts at Goldman Sachs (GS) think there's a decent chance the winner will be declared Tuesday night because swing states like Florida, Arizona, Georgia and North Carolina will report results quickly. This is key for the stock market, which hates uncertainty. Not knowing the winner for days has been dubbed the "nightmare scenario" by investors.

Financial markets have been moving on hopes -- and then dashed hopes -- for more fiscal stimulus out of Washington for months now, and investors expect a bigger stimulus package under a Democratic administration. "I think [the market is up on] two things: some retracing from last week['s losses], but I also think there's a sense that no matter who wins there will be some short-term money coming, whether it's stimulus or infrastructure," said JJ Kinahan, chief market strategist at TD Ameritrade. The US economy has started on its long road to recovery, but economists and central bankers agree that more government spending will be needed to keep the improvements going.

Meanwhile, President Donald Trump said Tuesday morning on "Fox & Friends" he believed the market was up because investors were pricing in another term for him. Trump has repeatedly said the market would sell off if Biden was elected, even though market participants have refuted this thesis because of the expected government spending to boost the recovery.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/03/investin ... index.html

My wife had some money in a education TSA that had languished for years at, unbeknownst to me, a low fixed rate ("but I wanted it to be safe!") I convinced her to reallocate it when the market bottomed out a week or so ago - I'M GONNA LOOK LIKE A GENIUS!

At least until my next screw-up.
"A gun is a tool, Marion, no better or worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything." - Alan Ladd, as Shane

My stock portfolio is up 9.5% right out of the chute this morning - my pot stocks coming back to life. I'm guessing stock market is not unhappy with Joe. I also presume Turd will take credit.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:04 am My stock portfolio is up 9.5% right out of the chute this morning - my pot stocks coming back to life. I'm guessing stock market is not unhappy with Joe. I also presume Turd will take credit.
The announcements from Pfizer that their vaccine passed all the trials and appears 90% effective will also created a rebound.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

The Market is tired of tRump and his Bullshit . They are looking at needed change.