Re: William Barr: Our Less Christian Society Is To Blame For Mental Illness And Drug Abuse

Personally I believe that religion is responsible for the madness that causes folks to go murder their co workers, classmates, Family and neighbors. Too much pressure and nebulous "faith" while being buggered by the local priest or trying to understand the local preacher who wants yer money and drives an expensive car and lives in a top $ home while preaching to folks who can barely feed their kids and have come to religion to understand why.

I work in a lot of churches as an A/V professional - I keep the sound systems humming and the projectors that display the hymn words cooking. I have visited more than one church in the poor sections of town where the Pastor drives a new Lincoln and preaches to people who can't afford food. Not all of them but many of them. It's a scam, especially the super churches. And don;t start me on the religious organizations that solicit service work on their sound systems and all that and then stiff us on the payment or want discounts and have unreasonable expectations like expecting equipment purchased 12 years ago to be repaired gratis because they bought it form us.

Not a fan of religion or religious.

VooDoo
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: William Barr: Our Less Christian Society Is To Blame For Mental Illness And Drug Abuse

Plus one on those super churches or what ever else you call them. Fourteen years ago I was working for a trim and millwork company that did two very similar churches in less than a year. The sound system of the larger one was two million dollars, and when they started bring in the seats they were numbered, the rows were already lettered; that's when I thought "Christian Rock Concerts", and paid seating.
"its a goddamn impossible way of life"

Remember reading Robert Heinlein‘s Stranger in a Strange Land right after it came out in the early 1960s and have read it many times since then. Remember the descriptions of the Mega church and the preacher. A blueprint for today’s Evangelical Christian Churches.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:48 pm Remember reading Robert Heinlein‘s Stranger in a Strange Land right after it came out in the early 1960s and have read it many times since then. Remember the descriptions of the Mega church and the preacher. A blueprint for today’s Evangelical Christian Churches.
I read it once, but don't remember it; it was the 60's after all.
"its a goddamn impossible way of life"

Modern Falwellian/Robertson/Jeffress evangelical "Christianity" is, IMHO, absolutely Mental Illness.
After all, demanding that people accept contradictions, abandon logic, and embrace irrationality IS Mental Illness.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:51 pm Modern Falwellian/Robertson/Jeffress evangelical "Christianity" is, IMHO, absolutely Mental Illness.
After all, demanding that people accept contradictions, abandon logic, and embrace irrationality IS Mental Illness.
I think it is just another bunch of cult leaders fleecing followers and avoiding taxes. I am surrounded by mega churches here. I have attended services. They are socially acceptable cults in the south.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Marlene wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:59 pm Yes, but atheists are, after all, the easiest religion to troll.
But one of the hardest to roll! Not being an Atheist, but, rather, a "Devout Agnostic" (as my wife describes me) I see Atheism and Agnosticism as a coalition against superstition masquerading as "Truth".
I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians.
-- Attributed to Gandhi.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

Ayanami wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:21 am I have to agree with some of you, however in my case it is not about Christians, it is about religious people in general. And do not get me wrong, I do not consider religion something bad, I consider those people who are being kind of ... fanatics, are bad and ... not enough intelligent (so I do not offend anyone).
Another bot. I’m quoting so the original post is preserved, to compare against the new one with the spam link.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

:yes:
Stiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 am
Ayanami wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:21 am
Another bot. I’m quoting so the original post is preserved, to compare against the new one with the spam link.
and another anime/ww2 imperial japanese destroyer. i'm curious to see what sort of spam link goes with this sort of post.
Last edited by lurker on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
never submit! (click "submit" button now.)

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:51 pm Modern Falwellian/Robertson/Jeffress evangelical "Christianity" is, IMHO, absolutely Mental Illness.
It's just tribalism. As religion loses power, as white people lose power they're banding together in desperation. Obama was the catalyst for the crazy. Electing a black man freaked racist white people out, and they got off the sidelines and got active. But to draw everyone together and take action required radicalization...right at a time when it's SO EASY to get confirmation bias on pretty much any issue you want. As a "consensus" grew for direction, the moderates were basically weeded out and replaced with those much more malleable to radicalization.

It's radicalization for a purpose. They may not be in full alignment on the issues of radicalization, but they are crystal clear on the purpose of their radicalization. This is all about scared white people. And when people get scared they're often not real rational. People are compromising the "values of their faith" to better support their racial tribalism. If they have to choose between race and religion, I think they'll pick race.

Racial tribalism.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Church near me had its yard full of Tr*mp signs last fall. Didn't know that was legal. Another one near me flies the Gadsden flag in its gymnasium. The Sunday after 01/06, their pastor gave a weird sermon about not letting them take away your sword or some such shit. Yeah, it's like that around here. Like I said, if I sound like a completely pessimistic asshole sometimes, that's why. The shit is deep and wide, and it ain't going anywhere. 2016-2020 was just an opening act.

Resume wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:37 pm Barr is a theocrat looking for a theocracy.
He's a fascist hiding behind "That Old Time Religion--It's good enough for me".

You drive 3.5 hours one way? Dude. Time to move! Hope that commute is in a hybrid. That sort of distance isn’t likely an electric car you are driving.

Really, too many jellybeans in the “have to move” jar, IMHO.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:37 pm You drive 3.5 hours one way? Dude. Time to move! Hope that commute is in a hybrid. That sort of distance isn’t likely an electric car you are driving.

Really, too many jellybeans in the “have to move” jar, IMHO.
LOL. I don't commute daily. I leave home for a week at a time. Come home for a good stretch and go do it again. I barely drive when I'm there and barely drive when I'm home, so I really don't drive that much.

I was born and raised in Wisconsin, spent a long time in NC (go 'heels) and moved back to WI in 2011 when I wanted to raise my kids Midwestern instead of Southern. This place changed while I was gone.