Trump's Second Impeachment

So many executive orders, so much twitter. What to do? Well, discuss it here for one...

Moderators: Inquisitor, admin, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Message
Author
User avatar
YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 13861
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:01 pm
Location: The Jughandle State
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#26 Post by YankeeTarheel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:34 pm

highdesert wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:29 pm NBC saying that 10 Republicans will vote for impeachment. The vote will be open quite awhile and votes could change. The senate is in recess until January 19th. If the senate trial, conviction and a possible lifetime ban comes after Biden is inaugurated, that opens up potential legal challenges by Trump if the Senate gives him a lifetime ban on holding political office. We'll have to see how this plays out, we're not done with Donna Drama yet.
I think Pelosi had better add a 10th seat to the Impeachment Manager Panel and ask one of the 10 Republicans to sit on it.
Or ask one of the 9 to step aside for one of these 10 Republicans.

She appointed 7 managers last January.
Last edited by YankeeTarheel on Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 23984
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#27 Post by CDFingers » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:39 pm

If the R Senate waits until it's a D Senate to do the Impeachment trial, they will be able to call the orange chancre to testify. Should be televised.

"Hot pursuit, Flash!"

CDFingers
ImageImage
As Stagger Lee lit a cigarette she shot him in the balls.
Blew the smoke off her revolver, had him dragged to city hall.

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 17501
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#28 Post by lurker » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 pm

if the senate refuses to convict, then the blame is on them.

User avatar
sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3086
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:39 pm
Location: Deep South Texas
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#29 Post by sig230 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:45 pm

Also four Republicans did NOT vote.

But this is just the moment before the beginning.

Now the real question is how the 70+ million people that voted for Trump will behave.
To be vintage it must be older than me! Coming to you from Deep South Texas!

User avatar
featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 7466
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#30 Post by featureless » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:52 pm

sig230 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:45 pm Now the real question is how the 70+ million people that voted for Trump will behave.
I'm beginning to fear we're in that place where you're deciding if it's better to rip the band aid off fast or just let it fester by pretending it isn't there.

User avatar
Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 8699
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: On The Border with no need of The Wall.
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#31 Post by Bisbee » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:01 pm

Congratulations President Trump... making history again as the only American president to be impeached twice.
(If because Republican Senators failed their duty to remove the president the first time.)
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 16286
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#32 Post by sikacz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:03 pm

So the impeachment phase is over? All votes in?
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 23984
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#33 Post by CDFingers » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 pm

If the dying R Senate does not take up the Impeachment, does it go to the D Senate? Inquiring minds and all that. Could be a fragrant loophole that would allow him to escape testifying in public under oath to that Senate. This is the New House to the Old Senate.

CDFingers
ImageImage
As Stagger Lee lit a cigarette she shot him in the balls.
Blew the smoke off her revolver, had him dragged to city hall.

User avatar
highdesert
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 19620
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Biggest state on the Left Coast
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#34 Post by highdesert » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:08 pm

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:34 pm
highdesert wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:29 pm NBC saying that 10 Republicans will vote for impeachment. The vote will be open quite awhile and votes could change. The senate is in recess until January 19th. If the senate trial, conviction and a possible lifetime ban comes after Biden is inaugurated, that opens up potential legal challenges by Trump if the Senate gives him a lifetime ban on holding political office. We'll have to see how this plays out, we're not done with Donna Drama yet.
I think Pelosi had better add a 10th seat to the Impeachment Manager Panel and ask one of the 10 Republicans to sit on it.
Or ask one of the 9 to step aside for one of these 10 Republicans.

She appointed 7 managers last January.
Yup, that would be a good idea to include a Republican. This becomes totally uncharted territory though if the trial isn't held until Trump is out of office. The purpose is to remove an elected official from office. It's uncharted territory like a self pardon. Pelosi did her job which placates House Democrats and Democratic supporters who have bombarded Pelosi's office with calls.

If a trial starts on or after January 21st, Democrats might not have any problems getting the minimum of 17 votes to convict, one article I read said it could be 20 Republican votes to convict. Of course Trump could challenge an impeachment trial in court before it even starts which could delay it until SCOTUS made it's decision.

History in the making and we're living through it.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

User avatar
RotaryMags
Been around awhile
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:22 pm
Location: Ore-Ida!
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#35 Post by RotaryMags » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:15 pm

"May you live in interesting times"
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington

User avatar
highdesert
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 19620
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Biggest state on the Left Coast
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#36 Post by highdesert » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:54 pm

The 10 Republicans who voted for impeachment.

Rep. John Katko (R-N.Y.)
Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.)
Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.)
Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.)
Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler (R-Wash.)
Rep. Dan Newhouse (R-Wash.)
Rep. Peter Meijer (R-Mich.)
Rep. Anthony Gonzalez (R-Ohio)
Rep. Tom Rice (R-S.C.)
Rep. David Valadao (R-Calif.)

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... hment-vote
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

User avatar
Wino
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#37 Post by Wino » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:57 pm

Nancy signed, sealed and now to deliver to Senate.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
**As of Nov. 06, 2020 we have an impeached one term lame duck loser as president until Jan. 20, 2021

User avatar
Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 8699
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: On The Border with no need of The Wall.
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#38 Post by Bisbee » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:58 pm

It’s nice to see elected officials work with diligence and efficiency.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

User avatar
wings
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 2284
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:24 am
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#39 Post by wings » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:54 pm

The rules.
https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/hi ... tRules.pdf

Once articles are presented to the Senate, the trial is legally bound to begin the following day at 1pm, Sundays excepted. Mitch is playing with fire, delaying it until the 19th. In theory Schumer can convene the Senate against his will in an emergency, but that would involve Chuck showing chutzpah.

The rules do indicate that the Senate may deliberate as long as they deem fit, and may reschedule deliberations likewise.

Mitch is an idiot to delay, for more reasons than obvious. Once they let the Dems take charge, they can really take charge. They can drag this out in a fashion that is fantastically brutal if they control the Senate - calling up Representatives and interrogating them about their role in the insurrection, for instance. Pulling Cruz and Hawley on the floor on pain of perjury. Mitch needs to move fast, dump Trump before Georgia is certified, and move on. Otherwise the Dems could spend the next two years putting this on prime time daily before the vote.

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 16286
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#40 Post by sikacz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:02 pm

wings wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:54 pm The rules.
https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/hi ... tRules.pdf

Once articles are presented to the Senate, the trial is legally bound to begin the following day at 1pm, Sundays excepted. Mitch is playing with fire, delaying it until the 19th. In theory Schumer can convene the Senate against his will in an emergency, but that would involve Chuck showing chutzpah.

The rules do indicate that the Senate may deliberate as long as they deem fit, and may reschedule deliberations likewise.

Mitch is an idiot to delay, for more reasons than obvious. Once they let the Dems take charge, they can really take charge. They can drag this out in a fashion that is fantastically brutal if they control the Senate - calling up Representatives and interrogating them about their role in the insurrection, for instance. Pulling Cruz and Hawley on the floor on pain of perjury. Mitch needs to move fast, dump Trump before Georgia is certified, and move on. Otherwise the Dems could spend the next two years putting this on prime time daily before the vote.
Stupid media hasn’t picked up on the next day. Someone should remind them. LoL.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 23984
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#41 Post by CDFingers » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:14 pm

wings wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:54 pm The rules.
https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/hi ... tRules.pdf

Once articles are presented to the Senate, the trial is legally bound to begin the following day at 1pm, Sundays excepted. Mitch is playing with fire, delaying it until the 19th. In theory Schumer can convene the Senate against his will in an emergency, but that would involve Chuck showing chutzpah.

The rules do indicate that the Senate may deliberate as long as they deem fit, and may reschedule deliberations likewise.

Mitch is an idiot to delay, for more reasons than obvious. Once they let the Dems take charge, they can really take charge. They can drag this out in a fashion that is fantastically brutal if they control the Senate - calling up Representatives and interrogating them about their role in the insurrection, for instance. Pulling Cruz and Hawley on the floor on pain of perjury. Mitch needs to move fast, dump Trump before Georgia is certified, and move on. Otherwise the Dems could spend the next two years putting this on prime time daily before the vote.
Thanks for that answer, wings. I was wondering how that'd go. Now it appears that Mitch's best move which sucks is to convene asap and remove 45. If he does not, then the Spanish Inquisition would begin Jan. 21 and last at least until the 22 elections if not for forty years.

Sux to be Mitch and an R.

CDFingers
ImageImage
As Stagger Lee lit a cigarette she shot him in the balls.
Blew the smoke off her revolver, had him dragged to city hall.

User avatar
Ylatkit
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:44 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#42 Post by Ylatkit » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:16 pm

"of the day following" is open to interpretation.

It can be interpreted to mean "of the day following the senate is in session".
Last edited by Ylatkit on Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IBEWJIW
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:50 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#43 Post by IBEWJIW » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:16 pm

highdesert wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:54 pm The 10 Republicans who voted for impeachment.

Rep. John Katko (R-N.Y.)
Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.)
Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.)
Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.)
Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler (R-Wash.)
Rep. Dan Newhouse (R-Wash.)
Rep. Peter Meijer (R-Mich.)
Rep. Anthony Gonzalez (R-Ohio)
Rep. Tom Rice (R-S.C.)
Rep. David Valadao (R-Calif.)

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... hment-vote
The republican party would earn my respect if they rejected Trump enmasse. Unfortunately, these few will be targeted by right wing extremists.

User avatar
Ylatkit
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:44 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#44 Post by Ylatkit » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:17 pm

,,,

User avatar
K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 11709
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Location: LGC Member: ATL Metro
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#45 Post by K9s » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:09 am

IBEWJIW wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:16 pm
highdesert wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:54 pm The 10 Republicans who voted for impeachment.

Rep. John Katko (R-N.Y.)
Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.)
Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.)
Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.)
Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler (R-Wash.)
Rep. Dan Newhouse (R-Wash.)
Rep. Peter Meijer (R-Mich.)
Rep. Anthony Gonzalez (R-Ohio)
Rep. Tom Rice (R-S.C.)
Rep. David Valadao (R-Calif.)

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... hment-vote
The republican party would earn my respect if they rejected Trump enmasse. Unfortunately, these few will be targeted by right wing extremists.
They may also be the only Rs getting corporate donor money for 2022. We'll never know the whole backstory or how it will end until we know.

Pelosi may have signaled that the Senate trial won't start until Trump starts tweeting and threatening. It may also allow them to set a date and have him whisked out of Russia at the time of their choosing. Or, they may just spend a few months gathering damaging evidence and watching convictions and court cases for more evidence. We just don't know.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 16286
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#46 Post by sikacz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:15 am

Next day is clear enough.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

User avatar
Ylatkit
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:44 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#47 Post by Ylatkit » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:16 am

Maybe for you. If I were set against you, my lawyer would get in touch, because there's plenty of ambiguity there. It depends on where you're standing and what you want to see. It's why we have lawyers.

Tell me this: if it's so clear, how is McConnell ignoring it with impunity? There's only a few hundred Democrats there, with dozens of law degrees, how is it clear to you, but all those folks missed it?

User avatar
K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 11709
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Location: LGC Member: ATL Metro
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#48 Post by K9s » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:21 am

Ylatkit wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:16 am Maybe for you. If I were set against you, my lawyer would get in touch, because there's plenty of ambiguity there. It depends on where you're standing and what you want to see. It's why we have lawyers.

Tell me this: if it's so clear, how is McConnell ignoring it with impunity? There's only a few hundred Democrats there, with dozens of law degrees, how is it clear to you, but all those folks missed it?
Lawyers are irrelevant and unnecessary. This isn't a court of law.

McConnell still makes the rules for the Senate for the next week. He has been giving every Dem the finger for a decade or more. Why would he stop now? He just wants the new Senate to waste time on this instead of removing Trump.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

User avatar
K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 11709
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Location: LGC Member: ATL Metro
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#49 Post by K9s » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:27 am

Image
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

User avatar
highdesert
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 19620
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm
Location: Biggest state on the Left Coast
Contact:

Re: Trump's Second Impeachment

#50 Post by highdesert » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:51 am

Image
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi holds the signed article of impeachment against Mr Trump
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests