Re: How Many Cases in Your Town, Village, City, whatever?

Wino wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:28 am If you missed it - go find it. The opening on Meet the Press this morning medical staff was heart wrenching and Fauci was magnificent !! It was so refreshing to hear him speak with knowledge I almost cried.

I've had three ER visits in past 5 months with one hospital admission - latest Nov. 26 Thanksgiving Day 2020. In all cases I've been so impressed with the efficiency, attitudes and kindness of the medical staffs. I can't thank them enough - nor can anyone IMHO. I bless them all in a non-religious way.
You take care of yourself Wino ! Our health care system is highly stressed, but Trump and his ilk have no empathy.

Meet the Press - time zones, I'll look for it when they post it. Fauci has empathy.
Last edited by highdesert on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

16 States Log Record-High Average COVID-19 Cases Since Thanksgiving

The coronavirus crisis continued to reach new heights over the Thanksgiving holiday as average daily caseloads showed no sign of declining across much of the country.

Sixteen states — including Arizona, California, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey and Ohio — saw their average daily case counts hit all-time highs Thursday and Friday, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

The average, taken over the previous seven days, says more about overall trends than do single-day numbers. Single-day figures can reflect testing backlogs that recently cleared, making it appear as if there were a bigger spike in cases on any given day than actually occurred.

New Jersey, for example, logged a seven-day average of more than 3,500 cases per day in its first coronavirus wave in early April. The state now appears to be reaching a second peak, logging a seven-day average of more than 4,000 cases per day ― an average of 4,221 on Friday, to be exact.

Testing has yet to capture the full effect of Thanksgiving travel and gatherings. More than 3 million Americans traveled by plane during the holiday week. About 50 million are estimated to have traveled by car over the holiday. It usually takes a few days —up to two weeks — for coronavirus symptoms to appear and prompt infected people to seek a test. The true effect of holiday travel will not become apparent until next week.

Daily death totals are climbing along with new cases, even though doctors now have better ways to treat the virus’s symptoms.

Nine states hit a particularly grim milestone: More than 1 in every 1,000 residents have died of COVID-19 in Connecticut, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and North and South Dakota, according to The Washington Post.

Health care systems are being stretched thin in nearly all states, which face a shortage of available beds or staff — or both.

Such shortages mean that patients may not receive the care they need in a timely manner, whether they come in with symptoms of COVID-19 or a heart attack.

Officials in Travis County, Texas, which includes Austin, are reportedly “very concerned” about both hospital capacity and staffing shortages during the holiday season. In Michigan, six hospitals are reportedly at full capacity, and another 18 are at 90% capacity or more.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy voiced deep concern about the issue of health care staffing this week. “That is the one thing that I think keeps us up at night. The staffing piece,” he told NorthJersey.com.

When New Jersey battled its first wave of coronavirus infections along with New York — the country’s coronavirus epicenter in the spring — it got help from doctors who were able to fly or drive in from states less affected by the virus at the time. As the virus surges across the U.S., New Jersey and other states cannot count on out-of-state volunteers to shore up hospital staff.

Health officials pleaded with Americans to stay home for Thanksgiving and to shop online rather than in person on Black Friday.

“A sacrifice now could save lives and illness and make the future much brighter as we get through this,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top expert on infectious disease, told “Good Morning America” before the holiday.

That message is not likely to change for the Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year’s holidays ahead.

All 16 of the states are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Kansas, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington and West Virginia.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/us-coron ... 1b770c8fac

With the gatherings and travel we saw over Thanksgiving, the numbers will continue to rise. It never ceases to amaze me how people can be so stupid. We have a large group around where I live that just throws a fi when you mention canceling all sports especially public school sports like football due to the pandemic. These are the same ones that still have tRump signs in their yard and go out shopping without mask.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Only 7 of California's 58 counties is not under the highest state restrictions. We have a 10 pm to 5 am curfew and tomorrow LA County starts enforcing tougher quarantine restrictions.
https://public.tableau.com/profile/ca.o ... ngcovid-19

The night time curfew isn't bad, it's quieter at night.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

This morning before sunrise I walked the full eight blocks of our downtown in the middle of the street. Moved once for a car. That's the best way to see the 1890/1910 architecture. There are still many pre-1890 buildings left, but not downtown, where they almost all burned at one point or another. Old ones left are around 1872 when Chico became a town.

What students there were have gone for the holidays. Very quiet--which does make social distancing quite easy.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:28 am This morning before sunrise I walked the full eight blocks of our downtown in the middle of the street. Moved once for a car. That's the best way to see the 1890/1910 architecture. There are still many pre-1890 buildings left, but not downtown, where they almost all burned at one point or another. Old ones left are around 1872 when Chico became a town.

What students there were have gone for the holidays. Very quiet--which does make social distancing quite easy.

CDFingers
Old jaywalkers, think they own the town. :lol:

My town isn't that old. I love the history of old towns and there are plenty of them along Hwy 49 - the Gold Rush Trail. Or across the state line in Nevada, like Virginia City.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top infectious disease expert on the White House’s coronavirus task force, predicted Sunday that the number of COVID-19 infections will skyrocket over the next several weeks as millions of Americans travel during the holiday season.

The U.S. experienced a surge in cases, hospitalizations and deaths in recent months, and public health officials warned that those numbers could jump during the winter as Americans experience “COVID fatigue.”

Fauci and other task force members urged Americans to refrain from traveling to visit loved ones over the holidays to avoid spreading the virus. But millions of Americans bucked that advice and packed airports in the days leading up to Thanksgiving.

“We have to be careful now,” Fauci told ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday. “There almost certainly is going to be an uptick because of what’s happened with the travel.”

He added: “We may see a surge upon a surge. We don’t want to frighten people, but that’s just the reality. We said that these things would happen as we got into the cold weather and as we began traveling, and they’ve happened. It’s gonna happen again.”

Fauci said it’s unlikely the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will relax its holiday gathering guidelines ahead of Christmas.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fauci-ho ... b1ea4c21ca

This warning comes as NYC is going to reopen schools.
New York City To Reopen Schools, Even As Virus Spread Intensifies

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City will reopen its school system to in-person learning, and increase the number of days a week many children attend class, even as the coronavirus pandemic intensifies in the city, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Sunday.

The announcement marks a major policy reversal for the nation’s largest school system, just 11 days after de Blasio, a Democrat, announced that schools were shutting down because of a rising number of COVID-19 cases in the city.

Some elementary schools and pre-kindergarten programs will resume classes Dec. 7, a week from Monday, the mayor said. Others will take longer to reopen their doors.

The plan for reopening middle and high schools is still being developed, de Blasio said.

“We feel confident that we can keep schools safe,” he said.

About 190,000 students will be eligible to return to classrooms in the first round of reopening, just a fraction of the more than 1 million total pupils in the system. The great majority of parents have opted to have their kids learn remotely by computer.

De Blasio said that many of those returning in person will be able to attend five days of class a week, up from one to three days previously.

Elementary school students attending in person will be required to undergo frequent testing for the virus. Previously, the city had set a target of testing 20% of teachers and students in each school building once a month. Now, the testing will be weekly.

The mayor said the city was doing away with its previous trigger for closing schools, which was when 3% or more of the virus tests conducted in the city over a seven-day period came back positive.

New York City exceeded that threshold early in November, and things have slightly worsened since then. More than 9,300 New York City residents have tested positive for the virus over the past seven days.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-york ... 1b770cf9e1

Has COVID eaten the brains of the people in control of the schools or is it another virus spread by tRump that cause shear stupidity.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Need to completely shutdown the NFL.
Santa Clara County moves to shut down all 49ers activities for three-week minimum
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/santa ... k-minimum/
Broncos QBs are benched amid outbreak

Also on Saturday the Denver Broncos announced all three of their quarterbacks have been sidelined after “high-risk close contacts.”
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/color ... -outbreak/

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday said he’s considering imposing stay-at-home orders on California counties to curb an explosion in coronavirus cases that threaten to overwhelm hospitals by Christmas. Newsom said he could impose the additional restrictions within the next couple of weeks. He suggested that the state could target the orders in areas where hospitals are most at risk of being overwhelmed by Covid-19 patients.

"We are trying to be much more specific, more surgical ... and more prescriptive in terms of looking at the efficacy and looking at where the data leads us to making those determinations sector by sector," Newsom explained.

The background: California has controlled Covid-19 spread better than most states — ranking 39th out of 50 in per capita case rates — but Newsom on Monday sounded the alarm over the unprecedented pace of new infection spread. The state this weekend moved six more counties into the state's most restrictive purple tier, now affecting 99 percent of residents.

California currently prohibits indoor dining, gyms and church services in 51 of 58 counties, among other restrictions. If Newsom reimposes limits comparable to the spring, most outdoor business activities would be prohibited and people would have to stay home except for essential services. Los Angeles County has already imposed a stay-home order this week.

The data: California’s seven-day average of new daily cases has reached 14,600 — higher than the peak of the summer surge. Newsom stressed the potential strain on hospitals around the state and that additional restrictions may be necessary to ensure enough beds are available. State health officials predict that absent any additional interventions or behaviors, hospitalizations could double or triple in just one month and ICUs could exceed capacity. Statewide, ICU admissions could reach 112 percent of capacity by Dec. 24.

“What we worry about at this time is specifically the ICUs,” Health and Human Services Agency Secretary Mark Ghaly said, referring to ICU capacity as the “primary trigger” for further restrictions and a stay-at-home order. About 12 percent of all Covid-19 cases require hospitalization, and about 10 percent to 30 percent of those hospitalizations become ICU admissions. “That is the lay of the land in terms of the red flags that are flying. Not yellow flags,” Newsom said.
https://www.politico.com/states/califor ... es-9424814

I'm hoping that hospitals learned from the bad PR last time and haven't been laying off staff that could augment existing staff. And I hope they've curtailed elective procedures, we know that's what makes them money.

In my county hospitalizations have increased 48% in one week, but confirmed and suspected COVID pnts are only 25% of those hospitalized and they are only 30% of ICU pnts. They're just not used to running close to full. No data on new infections in my county, it will be out tomorrow.
Last edited by highdesert on Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The math remains the same. It's the older population that is dying; those generally being paid more than younger workers and older folk no longer in the workforce.

It really is that simple; out with the old and in with the new. The older worker dies and the younger worker is given a promotion but because of the pandemic either a minimal or no raise in pay. Costs down. Productivity up. Drain on the pension fund reduced. Win Win Win.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:23 pm The math remains the same. It's the older population that is dying; those generally being paid more than younger workers and older folk no longer in the workforce.

It really is that simple; out with the old and in with the new. The older worker dies and the younger worker is given a promotion but because of the pandemic either a minimal or no raise in pay. Costs down. Productivity up. Drain on the pension fund reduced. Win Win Win.
And the stock market goes up along with corporate earnings. More money for the 1%.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:20 pm Another 11 cases in my town. Now 750 cases, and another grammar school had a case. Another death, up to 73.
388 cases in Essex County and we're now over 31K cases and 1958 deaths
NJ: 3700 cases today, 36 deaths. But we are 17th on the list of new cases. We'll pass 300k cases in 2 days
We are still 5th on total deaths but most were in the spring.
My town, today, now has 841 case, up 91 since I posted the above, 2 weeks or so later. Deaths still at 73.
Essex County now is has 35.8K cases up 4.8K cases and 2,006 deaths up 48 deaths.
NJ is long past 300,000, up 50,000 cases to 350K. Over 17,000 total deaths. 13th on total cases, up to 12th on the list of new cases.

North Dakota has gone over the 10% line on per-capita cases. 1 in 10 people there are or have been infected. South Dakota is over 9% now.
At least in p/c cases NJ is # 33 at 3.9%. NY is #36 with 3.6%
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The Dakotas are fast on the way to testing the herd immunity threshold percentage for Covid-19. The world should thank them for their sacrifice toward furthering scientific knowledge and helping save those who use information to make informed choices.

Thank you, Red Hats!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:53 pm The Dakotas are fast on the way to testing the herd immunity threshold percentage for Covid-19. The world should thank them for their sacrifice toward furthering scientific knowledge and helping save those who use information to make informed choices.

Thank you, Red Hats!
I am so overcome by their selflessness I could fill my Depends !! :sarcasm:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

AlterCocker wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:25 pm
Bisbee wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:53 pm The Dakotas are fast on the way to testing the herd immunity threshold percentage for Covid-19. The world should thank them for their sacrifice toward furthering scientific knowledge and helping save those who use information to make informed choices.

Thank you, Red Hats!
North Dacovid or South Dacovid?
That's really, really bad! :laugh: :roflmao:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

In my county yesterday 11/30 there were 652 new confirmed cases; on 11/29 there were 869 new cases and on 11/28 there were 929 new cases. And test positivity is down to 11.3%. That's the good news, but it will go back up since Thanksgiving get togethers are expected to push cases back up and we'll probably see it in the next week.

Bad news is hospitalizations, there are 934 confirmed and suspected pnts in hospitals in the county. 185 are in ICU beds and there are 68 ICU beds available. Deaths remain at 1,129 but there is often a delay in death certificates getting to the DPH.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:29 pm
AlterCocker wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:25 pm

Thank you, Red Hats!
North Dacovid or South Dacovid?
That's really, really bad! :laugh: :roflmao:
Worthy of Pearls Before Swine comic.

4195 cases (+64) / 406 in isolation / 3729 recovered / 23 hospitalized / 60 deaths (+0) / 717 daily tests, in Butte County, Calif, pop 217,732

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

US data has been all over the place due to the holiday. Yesterday, the US was back on its awful track experienced pre Thanksgiving with 182,276 new cases, 2,614 deaths. The 7-day average had dipped down to 164,488 cases yesterday from a peak of 179,980 on November 24. California's 7-day average is 14,351.

I expect to see a significant spike within 2 weeks from Thanksgiving travel. Things continue to look a trainwreck.