Why Trump Made Me A Gun Owner!

The Jersey City shooters targeted a Kosher market and were on-line posters of anti-Semitic shit. Trump made it all "OK" and now he's issuing an executive order making Jews an ethnic group, rather than a religion, making us back into "others" again. Each day, another Hitler step toward a racist dictatorship.

I have to reconsider my views are armed carry. Certainly the shooters didn't abide by the law against carrying loaded weapons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/nyre ... e=Homepage
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: Why Trump Made Me A Gun Owner!

I send my condolences to you, YT. I'm not sure how I could handle being a part of a persecuted group like the Jews who are being targeted (again/still) for hate simply because of who they are.

That said, I do not know how anyone can go unarmed anymore after seeing some of the heinous attacks on folks who are not armed and *because* they are not armed. I'm afraid to let my Wife go to Walmart on her own for groceries after what has happened. We were there the day after election day in 2016 when a pickup truck full of guys went driving like banshees thru the parking lot flying a confederate flag on one rear side and an American flag on the other shouting "Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump...." and wearing MAGA hats. As they drove thru the guys in the truck were pointing their fingers at people of color, Mexicans, and generally anyone who wasn't White and making mock shooting gestures with thumb and forefinger.

I have never been so angry, frightened, incensed, and, in fact, felt violated and violent at the same time. I found myself wishing myself hearing semi automatic gun fire and riddling that truck with holes. And that alone frightened me because I consider myself a reasonable and nurturing Man.

I hate Trump for the rise of Hate more than anything else he has done.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Yeah. I met a guy on a flight from Denver to Eugene from El Paso whose sister had been driving with her child and SAW the asshole going into the WalMart! It hits us all.

Jersey City's a ways away from here, but our township is at least 25% Jewish, with 3 synagogues (used to be four). Schools close for the Jewish holidays as well as the Christian ones because...they'd be half-empty! But after 9/11 there were always police at them for holidays, and in front of the Orthodox shul every Saturday.

Anti-Semitism is part of our lives and every Jew (except assholes like Stephen Miller and Jared Kushner) is taught that the world can turn on us at any minute, and, sooner or later, it will, no matter what you believe, or who you are, or what you've done.

My mother turned 20 the year WWII ended, just a week before Nagasaki. She had not been very religious before that--her mother was, in Mom's words "a practicing hypocrite" (her mother was an abusive crazy monster) and her father saw all religion as bullshit. But when the Allies began opening the concentration camps, Mom figured there was no way a benevolent god could have allowed this to happen and she became an avowed Atheist.

Liberal democracy, so far the best system of government for pretty much everybody, is clearly an unnatural state. Because every one that's arisen, some one has tried to bring it down, frequently successfully. From Athens and Rome, to several nations in Europe, as well as Trumpism here, few actually LIKE the idea that you can have opposing ideas and views in an operating state. Like those yahoos in that truck you saw.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

This will possibly make things worse for the Jewish Americans.
President Donald Trump is expected to sign an executive order this week which would empower the Department of Education to withhold funding from any college or educational program that fails to take action the administration deems sufficient to tackle anti-Semitism on campus, The New York Times reported on Tuesday.

If it goes into effect, the order would allow a government agency the ability to interpret Jewish identity as a race or national identity, not just a religious affiliation. As the Times noted, the Education Department ― under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 ― has the authority to withhold funding from colleges that discriminate “on the ground of race, color, or national origin,” but not on the basis of religion.

The order, news of which sparked backlash on social media Tuesday, would “have the effect of embracing an argument that Jews are a people or a race with a collective national origin in the Middle East, like Italian Americans or Polish Americans,” the Times reported.

Critics of the bill expressed concerns about the order being potentially too broad — and one that could encroach on free speech and silence opposition to Israel’s policies towards Palestinians.

“This executive order ... appears designed less to combat anti-Semitism than to have a chilling effect on free speech and to crack down on campus critics of Israel,” Jeremy Ben-Ami, the president of Jewish advocacy group J Street, said in a statement.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-ex ... 5fb53426c3

I would expect the MAGAhatters to complain the Jews are getting special treatment the Christians aren't getting. Same arguments used when affirmative action was used for POC under the civil rights laws. I can hear the squalls already from the Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-A crowd. As an Atheist/Agnostic, Atheist on odd days, Agnostic on even days, I don't have any stakes on this game. I do show my thoughts by not shopping at Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-A or any other stores that might have a policy like theirs.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Some in minority communities in the US have supported gun control thinking it was the panacea for gun violence in their communities. Whether the minorities are ethnic/religious/sexual....those living or frequenting high crime areas should have the opportunity to arm. It took two hours for police to get into that shop, the carnage could have been worse. Perhaps armed stored owners and some customers could have stopped the loss of life sooner, at least wounding the shooters.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:31 am Some in minority communities in the US have supported gun control thinking it was the panacea for gun violence in their communities. Whether the minorities are ethnic/religious/sexual....those living or frequenting high crime areas should have the opportunity to arm. It took two hours for police to get into that shop, the carnage could have been worse. Perhaps armed stored owners and some customers could have stopped the loss of life sooner, at least wounding the shooters.
Agreed. If Bozos wanting to go and shoot up a place might have second thoughts, if they knew there was a good chance they might face gunfire themselves.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

The hatred is dangerous and real. Stay vigilant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... in_Atlanta
As to the atmosphere that lead to Frank's prosecution, historian Nancy MacLean said it "[could] be explained only in light of the social tensions unleashed by the growth of industry and cities in the turn-of-the-century South. These circumstances made a Jewish employer a more fitting scapegoat for disgruntled whites than the other leading suspect in the case, a black worker." Meanwhile, Frank's trial received full coverage in Atlanta's three competing newspapers, and public outrage only continued to grow over the murder. Throughout the trial and in the media, Frank was painted as the antagonist of all that was good and Southern – an industrialist, a Northern Yankee, and a Jew.

On August 16, 1915, a group of prominent Marietta and Georgia citizens calling themselves the "Knights of Mary Phagan", including a former Georgia governor, former and current Marietta mayors, and current and former sheriffs, abducted Frank from prison and drove him back to Marietta. There, they hung him not far from the Phagan house, where his body remained for hours as an energized crowd gathered.

In the months following the lynching, some of the Knights of Mary Phagan also helped to revive the Ku Klux Klan atop Stone Mountain. The Anti-Defamation League (ADL)’s creation in 1913 was also spurred by the Frank trial. The case has been called the "American Dreyfus affair", as both centered around falsely accused wealthy assimilated Jewish men whose trials, based on minimal evidence, were the catalysts of anti-Semitic fervor in the masses which then lead to their convictions.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Watch your step out there, YT.

I've got Muslim, Jewish, and LGBTQ friends and family who are at risk, as well as being, dare I say, 'leftist.' Between the very real and threat to my fiends and family and what I read on right wing sites, I've decided there's cause to carry. Yes, the risk is low, but it's not like stuff doesn't happen, and hate crimes have been coming from the right with some frequency.

Train up and be safe, my friend.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six