Range Report 3/15/19

Broke my first three clays and frightened several more. I had 11 clays and 25 rounds--brought home 5--of 12 ga 1-1/8 oz number 8 shot by Estate. 1200 fps. I shot a few into a puddle to see what it looked like, and I shot a couple more into a cardboard box to see how it patterned. My son was there to throw them. I used my single shot break action Pardner with the exposed hammer, and I had a lot of fun. Must repeat.

Our son had come up, as he is working up two different loads, one in .223 and one in .308, so he wanted this range and my chrony to get data. He'd brought some known-quantity rounds of each caliber as controls. He shoots really well. His .308 for this trip was a Tikka T3 bolt gun. It's true: One MOA out of the box with the known-quantity ammo at 100 meters. His .223 was a Savage bolt action. Of course he had several loads of each to run through, and that was cool. I used my high powered binocs to call his shots.

I only had a little work to do with the copper .22's, so I spent my shooting time with the 1911 and targets of opportunity while testing two ammos. Review viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52433 . I must say I'm liking the 1911 more and more. Who knew? I'll have to shoot the Vaquero next time also, to keep things in perspective.

The work I did was to test the CCI Copper-22 stuff I'd reviewed a couple months ago, but with a hand gun. Needed to do the rifle. Mixed results. At 25 yards it was pretty accurate, able to hit rocks and so on, but I could not get it on paper at 100 using ten rounds. I'll have to do another trip and move the target out by maybe 20 yard increments to see what happens.

Shooting stuff is fun. Grinned for a whole day Saturday.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Range Report 3/15/19

So I went to the range today (3-17) and did some of the worst shooting I've done in a long time.
Curiously, my best pistol shooting was with Ruger 1771 revolver, which I was slightly more accurate with at 15 yards with .38 rather than .357. For some reason, today I couldn't shoot for shit at 15 yards with either the VP-9, or the P320 (set up in sub-compact mode). Had to go back to 10 yards.
With the carbines the BEST shooter (today) was the Kel-Tec Sub2000. At 25 and 50 yards it out did the Cx4 and the Marlin. When I turned off the red dot on the Cx4 and just used the iron sights it did better.
I had just mounted my first 'scope on the Marlin, a 2x-7x Sig and it was HORRIBLE (or, really, I was horrible with it) I actually destroyed one of the clips holding the target. A) I need to learn how to adjust it B) the eye relief is too long and I cannot move it any further forward C) Shooting .357 was really tough with it.
I pulled off the scope (quick-release rings) and the mount is slotted down the middle so the iron sights can be seen, and did better. Also did better shooting .38

After 2 hours my back was killing me--getting old can really suck--and it was a bit frustrating. On the plus side, people are really fascinated by the Kel-Tec! My son insists it's a "toy" but I found it to be the most accurate to shoot today. I shot, I guess, a box of .357, a box and a half of .38 and at least 3 boxes of 9mm,+ 9 targets (and, no, I'm NOT going to post them--UGH!) The range was having troubles with the targeting mechanisms. Mine failed and it took them about 10 minutes to fix (I was credited with the time) and it was tough to get it to respond to the keypad. Another got stuck down range and they had to call a ceasefire. (It's a new range and they STILL have bugs to work out). This lead to the following conversation:
Me: Did something happen?
RSO: No just the targeting got stuck. So we call a ceasefire.
Me: Oh, OK.
RSO: I don't want try dodging your bullets (with a smile).
Me: Why? I've shooting lousy all day!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I really get in a sour mood when I have one of those range days. Having the trusty S2K along usually makes me feel better. I don't know why, but it shoots where I aim and it makes me grin again.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:22 pm I really get in a sour mood when I have one of those range days. Having the trusty S2K along usually makes me feel better. I don't know why, but it shoots where I aim and it makes me grin again.
Exactly! I've seen a lot of people knock it, including my own grown son who insists it's a toy. But for a SHTF PCC that goes in a backpack, folding and unfolding in seconds, it's hard to imagine (for me) a better one.
It's more fun to shoot than it has a right to be....and I have strawberries on my shoulder from it! :roflmao:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."