January 1 2023 Range Trip - Revolvers

Decided I was overdue for a practice. Since I carry the 357 I needed to go give it some range time. Took along a Model 49 38 Special and a K-22. Ended up only shooting about 15 rounds through the K-22, the cases were hard to extract for some reason. I didn’t bother checking if switching ammo would have helped since my goal was really the 649 357 Magnum. I warmed up at close range, the first line and the n moved to the second line for the main practice. My old 49 is actually easier to cock for SA than the 649. Trigger pulls are both smooth, I did a trigger spring job on the 49 and it is really pleasant to shoot both SA/DA. For my purposes both seem to shoot well enough after I warmed up and only user error was the excuse for errant placement.
27E0D7BF-69CD-4515-BE86-AA282997E1EC.jpeg
B7A1AB20-4239-4282-A868-E3A16C741FB7.jpeg
7FC963FD-5959-476F-BBA4-E571B84B560E.jpeg

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: January 1 2023 Range Trip - Revolvers

After warming up placed a few stickers and practiced mainly with the 357 Magnum. Tested some 38 Special Winchester 130 gr FMJ, some Remington 357 125gr JSP and my last five shots with the Sellier & Bellot 357 Magnum 158grs. Either I was warmed up or I shoot 158grs S&B the best, most consistent placement.

Before last five shots.
9102F7AA-1EA1-4EE6-BD7D-C536BA1C6DCD.jpeg
The last five shots.
BFF24F15-DD6A-4E73-8D78-5ACA225E692C.jpeg
The 649 357 after its first real practice.
87443AF0-1ABE-49BC-A4B4-B7D478B38AF1.jpeg

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

wings wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:48 pm I really like S&B. Very consistent, very accurate, whether .22LR or .45 Colt.

Range time is always good, even the frustrating trips - but the ones you finish up doing better than you thought you could? The bomb.
Absolutely agree. It makes it fun. especially when at the next stall they were shooting rifles and their accuracy wasn't even close to my snubnose at the same distance. Needless to say, it put a smile on my face. Also a few machine guns a few stalls down. Lots of noise, little accuracy. I guess they had fun though.

highdesert wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:14 am :clap2: A majority of humpbacks there, a trend. :)
I’ve learned to love the little gun. At first I thought they were butt ugly and now I find their esthetics pleasing to the eye. I’m looking for another if I see one at Cabela’s. Credit card points have made another one likely. LoL.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:56 pm It makes it fun. especially when at the next stall they were shooting rifles and their accuracy wasn't even close to my snubnose at the same distance.
It's amazing what you see at the range. Just before COVID I was at an indoor range that I don't love, but it was Ladies' Night so my wife got in free. What I took to be a father-son duo (adult son) were a couple of lanes down and were barely keeping their shots on a full-sized silhouette target at about 10 feet, with a mid-sized pistol. I literally don't understand how that's even possible.

Is the "second line" ten yards?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:19 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:56 pm It makes it fun. especially when at the next stall they were shooting rifles and their accuracy wasn't even close to my snubnose at the same distance.
It's amazing what you see at the range. Just before COVID I was at an indoor range that I don't love, but it was Ladies' Night so my wife got in free. What I took to be a father-son duo (adult son) were a couple of lanes down and were barely keeping their shots on a full-sized silhouette target at about 10 feet, with a mid-sized pistol. I literally don't understand how that's even possible.

Is the "second line" ten yards?
Either 7 or 10 not sure. All I can say is the guys with the rifles sucked and I outshot them at the same distance with a 2” barrel snubnose. LoL.

Some people couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if they were standing inside the barn. I have actually watched people with full size B27 targets at 7 yards empty a gun and not put a single mark on the paper. That's a flinching over-achiever right there. Dood was yanking the trigger so bad, the rounds we skipping off the ground underneath the target. I took his very nice, brand new, Beretta 84 and put 5 rounds into a very tight cluster to show him his gun works. I then proceeded to offer him some tips, but he wasn't interested. I guess he's training for the Ewok apocalypse...it could happen.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:06 pm Some people couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if they were standing inside the barn. I have actually watched people with full size B27 targets at 7 yards empty a gun and not put a single mark on the paper. That's a flinching over-achiever right there. Dood was yanking the trigger so bad, the rounds we skipping off the ground underneath the target. I took his very nice, brand new, Beretta 84 and put 5 rounds into a very tight cluster to show him his gun works. I then proceeded to offer him some tips, but he wasn't interested. I guess he's training for the Ewok apocalypse...it could happen.
That’s the sad part. LoL. Some of these people are thrill seekers and just show up to these ranges to put rounds down range. They had rented automatics as well and also tried 3 shot burst. It didn’t matter how or what their accuracy was not very good.

wooglin wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:59 pm And yet, 1) shooting guns is fun, and 2) some of them might figure that out. We all started somewhere, and that’s something to keep in mind. It’s a range. See number 1.
Agree to both one and two. It’s why I don’t walk away no matter how they were doing. As I finished and packed up after an hour, all I heard was happy people. Perhaps some of them will come back and want to learn how to shoot.