Finally joined the Henry Big Boy club (.45 Colt)

What alloy hardnesss did you use for the boolit?

My 2 Henry’s (.357 & .45 colt) like a harder cast & more powerful charge than the revolvers do for the same load. I’m using factory lead 255 gr bullets for my .45 colt Henry.

My 2 Blackhawks are the most tolerant of a wide variety of loadings (anything from JHPs to mild 12 BRN lead .38s. while the smiths seem to prefer a certain load. My .45 Blackhawk seems to like my home cast 255 with liquid alox just fine. My Henry likes 255 hard cast over 20 gr H110. (But the furthest I’ve shot it is 50 yds (with the excellent hi-vis iron sights) and definitely “minute of beer can” at that distance.) I’m wondering if it’s different rifle twist. There’s no cylinder gap to overcome.
Blackhawk prefers the left, rifle prefers the right.

ETA after I went through my range picture from this summer:
However, it shoots alright with the softer alloys & loads as well. This is a 50 yrd. Group with the 250 grain “cowboy #1” over a modest load (7.4 gr) of win 231.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally joined the Henry Big Boy club (.45 Colt)

Lucky find on this thread. I just started drooling about the Henry in .45-70. I have a fantasy that I'd use it on buffalo, but I'd probably stick with the .30-06 for longer range. Game manager I go out with uses the .45-70 but he's generally within 100 yards. A .45 or .357 might be nice just for target shooting, but I need to convince myself I'm allowed to get one just for that.

Is the NICS Denial Notification Act what people are talking about? Are we saying it applies to delays? My last purchase kept getting kicked back because the FFL was spelling my name wrong.