Range Day With My Son

Yesterday, for the first time in, I guess 3 years, my older son and I went shooting to a local indoor range. He lives and works on the Left Coast but has a 2 week paid break as the judge he works for has shut down her court for that time.
We took my:
Windham Hunter AR-10
Taurus Tracker convertible revolver .357/.38 & 9mm
H-K V-9 LE model
and
Marlin 1894 in .357/.38

He has (back in Cali)
a P320 with the carry grip, flat trigger, and full slide that he's put a red dot and metal and wood grip on it.
A Cali-compliant AR-15 that he built.

We started with the H-K at 7 yards. While he liked the feel of it, he's not used to the curved split trigger and the iron sights, well... I did a little better with it but I haven't shot it in a while.

We then went to the Taurus, in 9mm. I really like this revolver. I have a Ruger 1771 that looks and feels better, and has a MUCH better grip, but from the very first shots I'm much more accurate with the Taurus. My son, however, struggled with it, which surprised me, but, again it was that he's used to optics, not iron sights. When we pushed out to 10 yards, I was able to nail about 5 out of 7 head shots.

Then the AR-10. Since it's mechanically the same as an AR-15, he obviously had no problem . I have a nice, inexpensive Sig 2x-9x scope with good, long eye relief and his first 5 or 6 shots at 25 yards were excellent, but he found the gun tiring. With a muzzle break in an enclosed space, and the recoil, can make it a tiring experience. I pushed out to 50 yards and zoomed the scope up (mine eyes have seen the glory of....stuff I don't see so good anymore!) and had some fun--and good shooting.

Then the Marlin and..Uh-OH! It wouldn't cycle either .357 or 38, appearing to jam going into the breach. Not sure WTF is going on as this is always a super smooth, super fun shooter. I wonder if I put the extractor in backwards, again? Whatever, but I'm going to have to break it down and see WTF is going on. The mechanism seems to be clean and sharp but...why wouldn't rounds go into the breech? I'm pretty upset and we were disappointed.

Despite the fact that my guns (that we brought) aren't his cup of tea, we did have fun. Since he is far more left-eye dominant than even I am, he's had to learn to shoot rifles as a Lefty (which he's not). Weirdly, despite being Left Eye Dominant (very) I STILL aim with my right. Don't know why.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: Range Day With My Son

:clap2: That's great that you had a day together with your son and that you have a shared interest in guns. Sounds like he has a clerkship with a judge, which is good experience and it looks good on a resume. Glad you guys had a fun day.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:33 pm Nice, YT! I always love shooting with my pops but I always end up giving him some safety corrections. Jesus fuck, dad! Finger off the trigger! He's "self taught" with like zero precautionary impulse... I try.
Thanks! Unfortunately, my Pop died in 2002 at age 87, on his 87th birthday (really!) I miss him every day, but he'd be 107 if he was around.
We argue all the time, He's kinda like a bull in a china shop--with a thin skin. But I still love him dearly. He's smart as fuck, spent his first job in court keeping people from being evicted by greedy landlords and their arrogant lawyers, then got a job as a law clerk with an L.A. County Superior Court Judge and he's enjoying it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Gonna go up to a uncontrolled range above Lyons(CO)with my (42yo) son this Saturday. WAY more fun that any indoor range..For the OP..no national Forest Shooting areas where you are?
This Sat is 'revolver day' His S&W 686/7, my Uberti Thunderer, my RIA M200, Rruger Wrangler..plus his new AR his brother built for him and my Mossberg MVP..
Great fun.

Nice. I've been trying to go shooting more often than I post - I mean, priorities, right? I still need to get the 10/22 out for its annual outing. Getting better with the Carryhawk - still not as consistent with it as I would like to be, but getting to the point I can consistently ring steel at 25. Even the little ones.

F4FEver wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:59 am Gonna go up to a uncontrolled range above Lyons(CO)with my (42yo) son this Saturday. WAY more fun that any indoor range..For the OP..no national Forest Shooting areas where you are?
This Sat is 'revolver day' His S&W 686/7, my Uberti Thunderer, my RIA M200, Rruger Wrangler..plus his new AR his brother built for him and my Mossberg MVP..
Great fun.
No, there are a few private places. I'm hoping a fellow member can heal enough to get our local all down there, before it gets TOO cold!

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:00 pm You should sell that Marlin to me. heh heh No picks of guns? For shame.
I've posted pics of all of them from time to time!
MarlinLeft.jpg
BTW, It was an easy fix. Last time I cleaned it, I put the ejector in wrong...the breach end MUST go behind the barrel before putting it in place. Cycled correctly after that.
pix055586868.jpg
windhamHunter.JPG

Northern wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:23 am Sounds like a super fun day. My son is living in Europe this year, but I can’t wait to take him shooting again once he returns.
We did have a fun day. We fight (argue) like hell frequently. but that doesn't keep us from having fun days together.

Sunday the boy and I grabbed our favorite .22 rifles, drove out into the desert with a brick of ammo. Nothing but plinking...Pick a rock that's hard to hit, and let's see who can hit it first. OMG we had fun. Old school Winchester pump .22's, open sights only...just doesn't get any better.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”