Re: Kalashnikov USA reveals left side charge kit at SHOT Show 2022

I disagree, if that was true then it would have been designed that way from the get go. The newly adopted AK12 keeps the op-rod on the original side. The reason? The slight advantage it gives you is never worth cutting holes in the side of your rifle to allow more dirt and dust into the action. The AK's ejection port is always open which is bad, and now you have added an even bigger hole on the other side of the receiver. So if you're in a dust storm, you can't even turn away from the wind.

So great for the gun gamers, but no military would take that seriously. Notice when they did that with the Galil, they included something to cover the opening.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

I've watched video of Russian military instructors doing the manual of arms. They use the right hand to charge, none that tacticool reach over or under noise.

All of my practice is using my right hand to charge while maintaining point on target with my left hand. Faster and easier.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Speed reloading is nice, but it's not a necessity for a military.
Americans run a carbine course, or compete and then they walk away thinking they know what a military needs. No, they have learned what an individual with absolutely no support system, who can solve all his problems with the magazines he's carrying needs.

Militaries work very differently and generally don't care what civilians do or think. And honestly, they get it right WAY more than they get it wrong.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

I don’t see any big reason why left charging is wrong. FN FAL, G3, FN F2000, Steyr AUG, all left charging. The militaries that use them aren’t stupid. Even the US Army charges with the left hand. If an AK can be made left charging with acceptable / no loss to reliability, it allows the modern doctrine of keeping the right hand on the pistol grip.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

I'm not advocating against it, didn't mean to come off as if I were. I really like a left hand charging handle.
My point was, the speed reload isn't all that important to militaries. For US civilians, many just can't live without it.

As for the solution presented, I would have liked it if they included something to cover up the large hole it opens up in the receiver.

The left-side charging handle is the weakest thing KUSA had to show at SHOT Show. Recently I was informed they had sold KR-104 pistols and KR-101s as part of a promotion. Neither one is available yet for sale on their site.

There is a wiki on RWC and KUSA. At SHOT Show, KUSA _claimed_ to have the TDPs for the AK-100s. Those might have come from RWC.

Ever since the Russian ban, Kalashnikov Concern has not been in a good position to take legal action against KUSA, I gather. The 104 and 101, provided they don't come out with a KR-102, are on my list.

As someone with re-occurring tendinitis in my left elbow, I'm much more apt to keep my left hand on the forend and rack the charging handle on my AK with my right... I don't really care what the youtube tacticoolios say... plus I'd imagine that if the shit were getting real I'd be trying to reload behind cover rather than performing a super-fast competition reload out in the open... I hope I never get the chance to find out.
The charging handle on an AR can be operated left handed without elbow pain (for me) but I'm always afraid my big dumb hands will slip off and punch me in the mouth. Just one more reason I prefer the AK.
Crow
Minute Of Average

I agree, that big gaping gash now for introducing dirt and debris into the receiver makes zero sense. Kalashnikov’s original design allowed for the safety lever to “button up” the receiver when the gun is not being fired. And while AKM’s have been proven to fire and cycle just fine with mud and gravel inside the receiver, why mess with the original design intent by creating a permanent opening like that and for no obvious benefit. Yes, this is a solution looking for a problem. Very American.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:22 pm I agree, that big gaping gash now for introducing dirt and debris into the receiver makes zero sense. Kalashnikov’s original design allowed for the safety lever to “button up” the receiver when the gun is not being fired. And while AKM’s have been proven to fire and cycle just fine with mud and gravel inside the receiver, why mess with the original design intent by creating a permanent opening like that and for no obvious benefit. Yes, this is a solution looking for a problem. Very American.
It's a gimmick KUSA definitely did not need. Outside of custom builders, KUSA is the only firearm manufacturer here or abroad that has successfully knocked off any of KC's AK-100 series firearms.