Re: MidwayUSA is about to put surplus M1 Carbines on sale.

I hate to break it to you guys, but that's the price of a GI M1 Carbine these days. Ya'll are going to pass, but those carbines aren't going to last long at all, and then they're gone. USGI stuff doesn't go cheap anymore. This is the reason there are companies making $1,000 reproductions...because the price of the real thing is way up there.

These aren't cheap, but they're a VERY solid investment and they'll be worth $500 more than you paid one year from now.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

The prices ($1150 and up) strike me as fair, if condition is decent. For comparison, check Royal Tiger Imports which might still have a few left from Ethiopia and comparable prices. This is in line with what I have paid for good quality, not particularly collectible, M1 Carbines in recent years.

I wonder if the CMP is looking at how these came to Midway. The blurb says it is unclear how these rifles came to be in the possession of the Italian Caribinieri. (They sure as hell didn't capture them in WWII!) If it was any kind of intergovernmental transfer following the war, they should have been returned to the USG and then to CMP to sell.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

The US sent many Carbines to Italy (as well as France, Germany, Taiwan, Israel, El Salvador...okay, freaking EVERYWHERE) following WWII...and they liked them very much. They even considered making them, but then re-considered when they realized how expensive they were to manufacture (they are actually more costly to mfg than the Garand). So they then began making prototype weapons in .30 Carbine that would be just as good, but much cheaper to manufacture. And a couple of them showed promise, but then Italy lost interest in the cartridge. They did put one into production for export (Morocco) the Model 57, which was a pretty cool little SMG, and WAY more simple to manufacture than the M1 Carbine.

So eventually the Carbines were relegated to reserve service, and passed on to various law enforcement agencies since the M1 was a particularly ideal law enforcement carbine.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

featureless wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:20 am I've really wanted an M1 Carbine for years. It would be my first "collector" gun. Timing is shit with my move going on this weekend. Plus importing to California is a pain in the ass, especially in a new area where I don't know any of the FFLs. Oh well.
from what I read on Calguns, Midway won't ship these to CA. I guess that made it easy for me to pass.

From my auction watching the Midway carbines are on the high side of the market these days, especially for import stamped rifles. The RTI carbines are about the only things they sell that are in good condition, but they've been going up in price since I bought mine last year. The nice thing about the Midway carbines is that you do get to choose between different manufacturers and configurations, but they get pretty expensive pretty fast. You'll be able to find a decent carbine for cheaper (probably without the import stamp) if you hunt locally or watch auctions but it will take effort.

I have not heard of any differences in manufacturing quality among the various manufacturers. I have a '44 Inland Div of GM and a '43 Underwood. These are among the most plentiful, but I have no interest in collector value per se.

Some people like Rockola for the cachet of the name. Maybe the same for IBM or others. Condition is more important to me.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Site says all sold out now, I'm not surprised; watching them on Gunbroker over the last year and a half they are selling at least 50% higher on average than they were 18 months ago. I bought a Standard Products with is CMP certificate, box and lock for $950 in January of last year. The cheapest one to sell recently was this, https://www.gunbroker.com/item/899643661 a sporterized one for $1125.00, the most expensive $3,551.00.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

M1 Carbine is the 1st adult rifle I shot. I was very impressed with the ease of use and no nonsense feel of it. I was 8 years old and to this day I am fond of them. I looked at Midway's prices and couldn't think of a compelling reason to buy... time has passed and there are too many better choices.
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

tonguengroover wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:40 pm This is silly. I bought mine when I was 20 for 100 bucks. Prolly didn't cost more than that to manufacture. So many new gun buyers falling into the trap, Oh I got to have one of those. The .30 is not that great of a caliber. Fun to shoot, sure, Ammo is to expensive as well. Good luck finding any.
What can be bought today for what it cost 40 or 50 years ago? I once bought gas for 26.9 cents a gallon, today if I want to buy gas I have to pay the pump price.
Last edited by geno on Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"