Century Arms VSKA AK47

I may be opening a can of worms here, but here we go.

Does anyone have any experience with the CAI VSKA AK47s?

In the past, alot of criticisms were made over quality and materials. Cast trunions, less than optimal metal selections, odd lightening cuts on the BCG.
Several Social Media people, Military Arms Channel for example, performed tests and observed the pin set for the barrel would walk, allowing the barrel to move and put the firearm dangerously out of head space.

On one hand, I would imagine a company that cares to continue to make money will approach this and make the appropriate changes. Their latest VSKA models no longer used cast trunions and improved materials used, so it seems they have, however, no word on improvements over how they set the barrel.
I would take a leap, but the Domestic AK market continues to suffer inefficiencies (PSA, IO, RAS, etc.), and at price points of $850+, I'd rather make an educated guess that rely on faith.

Re: Century Arms VSKA AK47

A couple of years ago I had a C39V2. As you mentioned I had trunnion problems. After I sent the third one back, they refunded my original sales receipt. I never made it past 200 rounds. In fact, the second rifle lasted halfway through the second magazine. I also made the mistake of purchasing a Micro Draco. OMG, that was scary. Traded it in for CZ 95
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

The fact that any company is trying to “lighten” Kalashnikov’s design specs (a polite euphemism for “make cheaper”) effectively puts the consumer as the beta-testers of their product. Even the Chinese didn’t do that when building AKM’s. Do you want to be a beta-tester when plunking down that kind of money for a gun? Flyguy apparently did...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Hi Slippen,
Glad to see you back! So you think Century AK's are not so good also because of the trunion problem?
Our resident Eastern European firearm expert.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I purchased a VSKA a few months ago. I've only had one outing with it so far, running 150 rounds through it without issue. I did replace the standard furniture with Magpul MOE to make it more comfortable for me. No issues to report. It ran just fine.
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

I bought my VSKA from a buddy. He had about 250 rounds through it and since I've had it I have put another 500 rounds down range. I have yet to have any issues but I have seen enough evidence from other online reviews that make me want to get a set of headspace gauges for it. That seems to be the main complaint from most about it. Some have had headspace issues right out of the box and some have been great past 5ooo rounds. It really isn't my favorite firearm to shoot so I'm not too worried about it.

JColville wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:12 pm I purchased a VSKA a few months ago. I've only had one outing with it so far, running 150 rounds through it without issue. I did replace the standard furniture with Magpul MOE to make it more comfortable for me. No issues to report. It ran just fine.
Then you threw it all away for a handful of magic beans and a Rosi, didn't ya?
Or am I the one who ended up with the magic beans? I suppose time will tell.
I suppose there is a chance that we both simply ended up with nice rifles. Probably the last one, yeah probably that. 🙂

I almost bought a VSKA a couple years ago but the bad reviews turned me away. I ended up buying a WASR imported by Century instead. Not a pretty gun, not a tight gun, not an MOA gun. The rear sight block was machined by a drunk one armed bear. But hell if I don't love that rifle better than almost any I own, and it is capable of center mass out to a couple hundred yards easy.
I bet I could sell it for twice what I paid for it now, haha.
-Crow
Minute Of Average

Thanks for all the replies.

With no offense to anyone, it seems the same debate still stands. As we often rely on our weapons to simply perform and remain safe in doing so, I always understand the communities hesitancy to get on board with any weapon that shows a track record of sub par performance and/or build quality.
I do see mirrored representation with the Wasr, as several years ago Wasrs typically were looked down on and many dropped the "I wouldn't trust my life on it" line, and now they are highly regarded.
Ultimately, I traded weapons for an M70AB2 and a Wasr10. As usual, the low prices of the VSKA and the Pioneer Sporter peak my interest, but my hesitancy still stands in the way...

HaydenGC wrote: Ultimately, I traded weapons for an M70AB2 and a Wasr10.
Details on the M70AB2?

I have been keeping an eye out for a good stamped M70 kit from which to build, probably on a modified NDS-Y556UF or NDS-Y556 squareback receiver or a Childers CGY-Yugo.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Bisbee wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:00 pm Hi Slippen,
Glad to see you back! So you think Century AK's are not so good also because of the trunion problem?
Our resident Eastern European firearm expert.
Slippen again hi. Yearscation. Trunion Century of the bad VSKA by the old own then manz. Kov ploz again aghast. Puut anew one than. A knuw al the thing. Howp the halps. Leetuce hav tharunderstand of them gewt. Pees.