Re: Happy May Day

highdesert wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:27 am Labor Day for most of the world. Yesterday we hit the mid 90s, summer heat is coming
We hit 90 two days ago. This morning it was 41.
I hate when it does that, biting/stinging bugs&ticks, and the constant leaf blowers.
And doves shitting all over my pool.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

It was nice escapism for a different period of time, it's been replaced by fantasy, paranormal, sci-fi, horror, thriller...not my kind of escapism. Small town policing, rare now because we're so highly urbanized and towns and cities contract out to the sheriff or state police.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

cooper wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:47 am Great post, Hiker. I love Barney Fife. I'm thinking we could do worse than modelling policing reform on Sheriff Andy and Deputy Barney.
Talk about pink unicorns!

There are no small towns like Mayberry in North Carolina, South Carolina or Georgia and there certainly weren't when "Ronnie" Howard played Opie.
They were hotbeds of racism and Klan activity long before, during and long after that show. There were no "Sheriff Andy"s who treated everyone fairly, White or Black. I remember driving through small SC towns like Patrick, McBee, and Bethune, on the way to see a GF in Columbia, and there ALWAYS was a cop looking for an excuse to stop and fine people passing through on Rt 1--and that was in 1980, not 1960!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:15 pm
cooper wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:47 am Great post, Hiker. I love Barney Fife. I'm thinking we could do worse than modelling policing reform on Sheriff Andy and Deputy Barney.
Talk about pink unicorns!

There are no small towns like Mayberry in North Carolina, South Carolina or Georgia and there certainly weren't when "Ronnie" Howard played Opie.
They were hotbeds of racism and Klan activity long before, during and long after that show. There were no "Sheriff Andy"s who treated everyone fairly, White or Black. I remember driving through small SC towns like Patrick, McBee, and Bethune, on the way to see a GF in Columbia, and there ALWAYS was a cop looking for an excuse to stop and fine people passing through on Rt 1--and that was in 1980, not 1960!
Oh yeah. I was there in the 1990s and 2000s. I'd go fly fishing up in the mountains. Lots of little towns that were NOT Mayberry. It's a fantasy. Like most of the Westerns.