A "What If" Question about rifle choices

This is about rifle types, not about legislative stuff.

Here's the "What If" portion: Let's say you knew that some kind of new laws are coming, maybe something like the old GCA '68 or something, and that it will impact so-called "assault rifles," i.e., AR/AK type semiautos. Maybe it'll ban new sales altogether, or maybe it will require non-removable mags with 5-round max, or whatever. The law will not affect other types: leverguns, bolt action guns that don't have interchangeable mags, etc.

Would you:
a) Buy one or more ARs that are legal now?
b) Buy one or more other types of rifles, on the logic that prices are going to go through the roof when the law is signed?
c) Other: _____ .
LGC #58559867
אבראהאדאברא
θέλημα Αγάπη

Re: A "What If" Question about rifle choices

I was never enamored of most anything likely to get banned during my lifetime so I personally would not have any incentive to buy anything.

The 1968 law did effect my buying choices for awhile but I can't say it caused me any really concern or worries. I was a fan of some of the guns that the 1968 law impacted from FN and Walther and Bernardelli and Beretta and a few really nice Spanish firearms from Star and Astra and Llama.

But for the most part none of the things that currently seem targeted appealed to me anyway. For example even today I only have a few handguns that hold more than 10 rounds and they almost never get carried and only used on the very occasional range day.

I do and of course will continue to oppose restrictions that cannot be supported by reasoned arguments but honestly I find most proposals more an annoyance than a barrier.
Last edited by sig230 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

I guess I wouldn’t broadcast my intention either way on a public forum. I would never support such legislation and would not likely support any politicians that vote for such in the future. It’s a bit of a moot point for me anyway at the moment. Cash flow is not likely to increase anytime soon.

My approach would be more likely to express my dissatisfaction toward the politicians instead. Vote them out. No cash flow needed.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I have planned for this for several years. Were Feinstein's awful bill to pass, without a grandfather clause, both my Cx4 and Sub2K would be illegal. But I'd get a Kali Key for my AR-10 to make it bolt-action.
But this is why I have a lever action and 2 revolvers, one of which can use 9mm.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:48 am I have planned for this for several years. Were Feinstein's awful bill to pass, without a grandfather clause, both my Cx4 and Sub2K would be illegal. But I'd get a Kali Key for my AR-10 to make it bolt-action.
But this is why I have a lever action and 2 revolvers, one of which can use 9mm.
Couldn’t you just remove the gas tube and close the port if you had an adjustable gas block....

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I went with B.

I have never really been drawn to AR platform rifles, but did expedite the purchase of a semi auto magazine fed shotgun, bullpup configuration. With the added front grip it is against the current proposed legislation on multiple levels, and while Montana is currently passing it’s own legislation that will nullify the enforcement of federal firearms laws, supply can certainly be affected if any new laws passed.

sig230 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:41 am Can a State nullify Federal Laws? Wasn't that tested back in the 1860s and found false?
Well, on marijuana laws many states have done just that--but the Federal Govt has pretty much just winked at it. Dems are generally in favor and Republicans are far more concerned about abortion, Dr. Seuss, and stopping POC from voting. Besides, other than the super evangelical ones, you KNOW all but the ancient ones used it in THEIR college days as well. Hell, GWB was a druggie when he was younger and is a recovering alcoholic. So, unlike in 1860 and 1861, there's no real impetus to crack down on states legalizing weed.

Me? I haven't touched the stuff in over 40 years, but have nothing against it (other than I no longer like or appreciate the odor). I simply think it should be regulated and taxed like alcohol and alcohol intoxication.

But when it comes to guns, I can see DOJ being far more aggressive against states that try to nullify Federal Law.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

sikacz wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:54 am
sig230 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:41 am Can a State nullify Federal Laws? Wasn't that tested back in the 1860s and found false?
Doesn’t stop them from making laws though. It’ll be interesting to see if the SCOTUS decides to hear a case if it comes up.
The whole thing is pretty foggy. The way the legislation is written it says that it would prohibit local law enforcement from enforcing federal firearms legislation. Not unlike selective marijuana enforcement on the state-level, but at the end of the day the feds can still (and have) come in and done it themselves, sometimes with less than stellar results.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:56 am
Well, on marijuana laws many states have done just that--but the Federal Govt has pretty much just winked at it. Dems are generally in favor and Republicans are far more concerned about abortion, Dr. Seuss, and stopping POC from voting. Besides, other than the super evangelical ones, you KNOW all but the ancient ones used it in THEIR college days as well. Hell, GWB was a druggie when he was younger and is a recovering alcoholic. So, unlike in 1860 and 1861, there's no real impetus to crack down on states legalizing weed.

Me? I haven't touched the stuff in over 40 years, but have nothing against it (other than I no longer like or appreciate the odor). I simply think it should be regulated and taxed like alcohol and alcohol intoxication.

But when it comes to guns, I can see DOJ being far more aggressive against states that try to nullify Federal Law.
I must be rarity, never smoked pot or took any drugs other than what has been prescribed by a doctor. Drank some alcohol is it for me. Still agree with the basics of your comment. States passing laws like these are more about sending a message. When enough states send a message perhaps the central government will adjust its thinking. Or not.

keenanmj85 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:18 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:54 am
Doesn’t stop them from making laws though. It’ll be interesting to see if the SCOTUS decides to hear a case if it comes up.
The whole thing is pretty foggy. The way the legislation is written it says that it would prohibit local law enforcement from enforcing federal firearms legislation. Not unlike selective marijuana enforcement on the state-level, but at the end of the day the feds can still (and have) come in and done it themselves, sometimes with less than stellar results.
Sure seems like it. I can see the logic of saying to the feds that we’re not going to waste resources on a law that is not easily enforced and mandated by the feds. It says, you made the law, you enforce it. It can have strange results.

Llew wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:17 am This is about rifle types, not about legislative stuff.

Here's the "What If" portion: Let's say you knew that some kind of new laws are coming, maybe something like the old GCA '68 or something, and that it will impact so-called "assault rifles," i.e., AR/AK type semiautos. Maybe it'll ban new sales altogether, or maybe it will require non-removable mags with 5-round max, or whatever. The law will not affect other types: leverguns, bolt action guns that don't have interchangeable mags, etc.

Would you:
a) Buy one or more ARs that are legal now?
b) Buy one or more other types of rifles, on the logic that prices are going to go through the roof when the law is signed?
c) Other: _____ .
I've got a lever gun and single action revolver in 357 mag, and both are just pure joy to shoot. Had a chance to get an AK-47 a couple months ago, and have put about 100 rounds down it. I just can't get myself to enjoy this thing. I'm thinking I'll sell it when the fear of bans is so high that people will pay a premium for it.

Now is probably as good as that's going to get. I'll admit, the AK platform has more generic appeal to me than the AR. Objectively, I know the AR does a certain job very well, and that job is probably much closer to potential home defense needs than many other platforms. Still don't feel it. How I ended up with a 10/22. Suboptimal for a worst-case scenario, sure, but ideal for real life.

I've seen the occasional lever pop up within my casual field of interest, but not at prices that make me seriously consider 'em. Not since last summer. I do worry a little about the confluence of supply and demand in the near future, but even with stimmy money, I have higher priorities.

They say regret's a fool's game, but man, the guns I've had and let go over the years. *sigh*

Marlin 1884 in 45 colt
Entreprise StG-58c .308
1899 Krag carbine .30-40
Remington 870 Tactical 12 ga
S&W 1006 10mm
Two ARs, a RRA and an Armalite 5.56
Ruger Single-Six in .32 mag
Desert Eagle in .50 AE
S&W K-frame .38 spl

And that's not counting the ones I don't miss, like the CZ-52, P232, etc.
LGC #58559867
אבראהאדאברא
θέλημα Αγάπη

Back to the original topic. I think it’s wise to act now to secure your ability to have potentially banned guns in the future. That said, I’m not planning to go wild because I already have most of what I want.

One factor in buying now is that availability is generally low. The lowers that I would want are not in stock. My sense is that there will be waves of availability before any federal ban occurs because it will be a relatively long process. So bookmark pages, get on waitlists, etc. now.

Northern wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:57 am Back to the original topic. I think it’s wise to act now to secure your ability to have potentially banned guns in the future. That said, I’m not planning to go wild because I already have most of what I want.

One factor in buying now is that availability is generally low. The lowers that I would want are not in stock. My sense is that there will be waves of availability before any federal ban occurs because it will be a relatively long process. So bookmark pages, get on waitlists, etc. now.
I'm done. I put in an order on the group buy for LGC lower receivers, but, frankly, I'd kinda like to cancel that if there was any way, as the delivery date keeps getting moved back further and further, and the transfer fees go higher and higher. Of course it will be a "safe queen" as I have no plans for a build. It's my first even hint of a regret on a purchase.