Re: just playing around(so far), homemade bullpup m14?

yesterday i put in an hour or so fine-tuning the fit of the grip, then mounted it, and put in the action. now i can handle the thing, although the butt isn't right yet, and i can see the light, waaaaaay down there at the end of the tunnel. the sights are definitely going to need redesign, and i'm not comfortable with the idea of all the "click, clack, BOOM, chinnng!" going on right there under my cheek. i suspect this particular action is not really suited to bullpuppery. i'll go ahead and make it functional, then i'll probably shoot it a couple of times and go back to GI configuration. we'll see.

so today i'm going to work on fitting the rest of the buttstock, and then (maybe tomorrow) making and fitting the trigger linkage. there will be pics tonight, i promise.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

DamnYankee wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:24 am proximity of face to action, I wonder how any bullpup gets around that?
i think the big difference is that with most bullpups-by-design, you can't see all that reciprocation. i fret about it but i shouldn't. i've shot this rifle hundreds of times, the chinese forged receiver is arguably superior to most cast american clones, it's a proven design approved by uncle sam...
i'll shoot it and see if can get over it.

worst realistic case is, it's been a marvelous learning experience demonstrating that it can be done, and i'll swap the action back into the GI stock.

I really want this to work. Sometimes that means going back to step one.

I have a crossbow. The trigger is a very long kinked wood lever, and it was cut so that the grain of the wood ran across the kink. Didn't take terribly long to crack, unfortunately. Still usable, even broken, but suboptimal. So last year I decided to work on drilling it out and getting a good long screw in to fix it. Ha. Okay, mission accomplished, but a year later I still haven't taken it out to a range, because at some level I still don't entirely trust it. Mind you, failure for this part essentially means the trigger turns from a lever to a button. What I want is wrought iron. A level of skill I do not currently possess. But it would go back to address the fundamental design problem, one that, at present, I've merely patched.

I've fallen down one of the classic traps. I don't want to learn how to do the job properly. I just want to fix the immediate problem. Don't be me.

since i'm done with the psychotic minnow, i've come back to the bullpup. i've re-done the grip in poplar, which should match the stain and grain better, and gone to the same shape as my 1911 in hogues. arguably better to have both primary weapons have the same grip. spent a couple of hours carving and sanding, the fit is improving. if i survive the three hour cruise i may do some more tomorrow. slowly, slowly, closer, closer... sand, check fit. sand, check fit. sand,,,
a little success now and then helps things along.
LUGO2594.JPG

finally i think i've got the fit "good enough", i'll go over the poplar with fine sandpaper to finish the surface, then stain and oil. meanwhile, no doubt some of you are wondering (if you think about it at all) what's taking so long? there's a lot of precise angles to be cut (15 and 30*)
LUGO2590.JPG
LUGO2591.JPG
and a lot of fitting,
LUGO2592.JPG
but at long last i think it's time to move on to the next bit, which is to make it all fit together so i can go back to making the trigger linkage work. here's where we are now.
Last edited by lurker on Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i've stained (no, not a perfect match) the poplar bits and am done carving. so today i'm working on epoxying nuts into the polytech stock for the machine screws to attach to. i'll need to buy 3 shorter and 1 longer screw. the trigger linkage is close, very close. starting to get excited about this, between poly and the kayak i suspect next week will be interesting.

then you guys get to help me figure out what to do about sights. i have options, some of them expensive.

lurker wrote:i've stained (no, not a perfect match) the poplar bits and am done carving. so today i'm working on epoxying nuts into the polytech stock for the machine screws to attach to. i'll need to buy 3 shorter and 1 longer screw. the trigger linkage is close, very close. starting to get excited about this, between poly and the kayak i suspect next week will be interesting.

then you guys get to help me figure out what to do about sights. i have options, some of them expensive.
I am loving everything about this but the tragic dearth of photographic evidence. Room for a picatinny rail on top? I am assuming a scope as primary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there will be more pics tomorrow.
the obvious solution here would be a Scout Scope Rail (SSR), +/-$200, PLUS either AR-type back-up irons , a red dot or the same short-relief scope i've been using.
the cheapo cop-out would be to buy some generic picatinny rail ($40-60) and rivet/screw it to the spare handguard i bought. likely with a riser.
or i'll figure out a way to attach the rail directly to the barrel, with a cutout in the handguard. this actually has the most appeal from the standpoint of cheap yet stable, but first i'd need to figure out how. too bad i don't have a machine shop.
Last edited by lurker on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeah, i know, no pics, didn't happen. this is where it stood, day before yesterday, i'm learning to use a dremel as a router, to get those little bits in the inside corners and cut the channel for the linkage.
LUGO2598.JPG
here are the bits loosely fitted to the rest of the stock, action and trigger group attached. the trigger group pretty much disappears, though i can reach in with a tool and release it. the mag release is accessible, and in theory i could figure a way to work the safety.
LUGO2600.JPG
and for y'alls amusment, an oopsie, currently fixed.
LUGO2602.JPG
i'll do more on this in the afternoon, i'll be busy in the a.m, i heard a rumor that Dicks will have ammo in stock, planning to go see.

it works.
it seems to work. linkage moves freely.
cycling the action 3 times via op-rod handle, hammer drops 3 times. take it all apart, put it back together, do it again, 3 times. and the slightly thicker thermold mags fit, too. i think this will work. not comfortable with the bolt cycling RIGHT THERE next to my face in plain sight, whole concept may be.... problematic. maybe putting the scope mount (which helps obscure the bolt), sans scope back on...
but it works.

range is closed til tuesday, we'll see.
LUGO2619.JPG