Re: just playing around(so far), homemade bullpup m14?

still fooling around with pictures. the CG looks to be at the magwell no matter what, which will put it behind the grip. we'll see how that plays out. speaking of the grip, i've started prototyping up a a pistol grip out of pine, something of a cross between my 1911 hogues and a tommy gun foregrip.

i'd forgotten how nice the 14 looked before i hung all that stuff off of it. i guess this means i need another, one plain jane and another to dress up?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:40 pm still fooling around with pictures. the CG looks to be at the magwell no matter what, which will put it behind the grip. we'll see how that plays out. speaking of the grip, i've started prototyping up a a pistol grip out of pine, something of a cross between my 1911 hogues and a tommy gun foregrip.

i'd forgotten how nice the 14 looked before i hung all that stuff off of it. i guess this means i need another, one plain jane and another to dress up?
Of course!

If you find then cheap, let me know. I assume they aren't cheap right now.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

i put the unfinished pine grip on my genuine $25 chinese polytch stock and took it to the range to see if the modded mags work (they do) and see if i like the feel of the foregrip (i do). so i'm going to keep working on this, spent an hour in lowes (bought some tung oil) looking at metal bits (aisle 14). metal isn't my medium but i'll figure something out. more pics coming maybe tonight. need to measure GI LOP.
IMG_0897.jpg

reading indicates that the LOP (length of pull) of the GI m14 is 13.5 inches. the rubber buttpad adds 1", so there's a little wiggle room. using the pic with the home-made foregrip, i've "cut" a section from trigger to buttpad out of the stock to estimate where the buttpad ought to end up.
bpm14lop.jpg
this is a couple of inches shorter than i was expecting. i can move it back an inch or so by making the grip angle more upright, more like on my 1911, but there's not much room to play with here. as it sits, the buttpad belongs just behind the trigger guard, where the stock begins to neck down. which brings us to this:
bpm14pad.jpg
now, obviously i can smooth the lines and round out the corners some. i can hide the current trigger group and the hypothetical linkage some, but not completely since i might want to get it back apart at some point for cleaning or repair. so i think this is roughly what it's going to look like. yes, i'll try to stain the grip to blend in with the rest better.
bpm14dun.jpg
what do you think?

lurker wrote:...what do you think?
I think it’s looking pretty cool. LOP seems right. Space constraints aside, I don’t think the angle of your grip will pose a problem. I’m going to post a couple of pictures here to compare it to what I have with this Rogue Stock. I’ve misplaced my bipod, so just laying it on it’s side.

LOP is about 15 inches
Grip angle:

Trigger/butt pad proximity:
Close ups of trigger linkage:
Not sure if this helps. As far as covering the trigger lineage/group, what about a reinforced kydex shell? Maybe screw it to the bottom outside edges of the stock?

excellent pics, thanks for posting them. looks like i've got the layout/ergonomics/LOP about right. can you estimate the diameter of that linkage rod?
re the "shroud/cover everything up" concept, my plan is to "figure something out" when i get closer. the attachment of the linkage to the trigger is reminiscent of the garand winter trigger. i'm thinking once i get this one "pretty darn close" i'll buy another (slightly) more expensive stock and do it again, and right.

Looks like right at 5mm/ 0.2 inch.
Here’s one that shows how they got around the mag well.
This whole discussion has me thinking about welding a tab on the inside of the trigger and connecting the linkage to that vs the rubber band connector they used, that and better securing the linkage rod against vertical movement would probably remove a lot of the slop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lurker wrote:
DamnYankee wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:02 pm Looks like right at 5mm/ 0.2 inch.

Here’s one that shows how they got around the mag well.
i'm not seeing any connection to the GI safety. is there any safety at all? i could see doing some sort of trigger block.
bought some steel rod (and some allthread) today.
No connection to the GI safety. There is a safety right above the “new” grip (silver button in pic). Initially I was bugged that the design didn’t engage the actual safety, but the trigger and safety are completely enclosed so I don’t think there is a chance that something (branch, etc) could get in there by accident and engage the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DamnYankee wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:39 pm No connection to the GI safety. There is a safety right above the “new” grip (silver button in pic). Initially I was bugged that the design didn’t engage the actual safety, but the trigger and safety are completely enclosed so I don’t think there is a chance that something (branch, etc) could get in there by accident and engage the trigger.
that's pretty much as i suspected. as long as it works, eh? i've just got started on my trigger linkage today, might have something usable in the next day or so.

also trying to get the wood work sorted. it's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario, figuring out how to assemble it all. AR15s are easy, just buy the parts and put them together.