Re: just playing around(so far), homemade bullpup m14?

this can still easily go back to near-USGI, except the handguard/rail which could be swapped, but i don't like messing with the gas system. pretty much just pull the 4 screws and the pistol grip, butt and trigger linkage, pull the GI trigger group, then drop the action back in the GI stock, replace trigger group, GTG.

but the point of the exercise (apart from demonstrating that it can be done) was to make it a handier, more compact package with a more rearward CG and it may stay this way. so i may just clone this design but try for prettier.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Don't be so hard on yourself.
But do wear eye protection, because you are laying your face on the rotating bolt of a full powered rifle that's well known for high pressure extraction.
Just the gas from the breach can take your eye right out.

And God forbid you had a primer pop, or a case rupture.
Last edited by RedBanner on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"How long have you been holding that grenade?"

Re: not just playing around, homemade bullpup m14.

the carry handle sights are too low.
the gi rear iron cut my cheek when i shot it, so i ordered another carry handle, which looked taller but is no higher. so today i got out my caliper and AR, measured the height from cheekweld to carry handle sight. difference of .75 inches.
this afternoon i ordered .75" risers for front sight and carry handle, a "very good +" USGI walnut stock to cut up and a rubber buttpad and gas cylinder wrench.
not sure how i'll match the grain and color of the pistol grip yet, because there's not enough wood there for all 3 pieces. will see what treeline sends and try to match that.

kydex for cheekrest... tandy leather sells it for $4.99 a 12"x12" sheet, then wants $12 for shipping. :no: will look locally some more, maybe thicker aluminum instead.

still thinking on ways to raise or replace the front GI iron sight, seriously beginning to wish i'd taken shop in HS.

For 9$ these guys have a .75 riser that would work for the front sight, but make sure you count how many pic slots your sight takes up, and order the correct riser to match.
https://www.thecountryshed.com/BM0307.html

I liked your great use of the m16a1 scope adapter in the "carry handle". You could run almost any optic on it.
A small 3x would be great for a full powered rifle like yours. I do feel like you could do a safer trigger guard, it is pretty small by the looks of it. That could heighten the risk of negligent discharges.

0.75 risers came, and they work, but feel a little high, certainly for the carry-handle scope. so i've ordered a pair of 0.5" risers to split the difference, order confirmation reports one of them as 0.25". requested clarification. also, flip-up front sight ships in "8 to 10 days", apparently whole order got put on hold. not a happy camper. these folks (optics planet) need to get their proverbial stuff together. going to suck it up and order some kydex because nothing else is right without a stable cheekrest.

Oof, yeah optics planet is very well known for not shipping stuff for a long time, and also listing out of stock items as In stock. They will also cancel your order if the price has gone up in that amount of time.

Primary arms, armorally both have great service. I highly suggest either.
But for "junk yard builds" or builds with lots of mixed peices, numrich gun parts is a great place, literally millions of random parts for almost any application.

Also, I'm rooting for your sights to work, but if you have an issue, before you buy a 3rd or 4th, I can measure a few I have on hand.

RedBanner wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:58 am "junk yard builds"
yes, i suppose that's appropriate here. ;)
i've not had a problem before this with O.P. except for the quality of info in their listings.
in future i'll likely try these folks again: https://www.ar15handguard.com/ar-15-riser-mounts/
and i'd like to apologize, sometimes i get(!) cranky and take offense where none was offered.

watching the USPS tracking for my risers and font sight is making me dizzy. start, stop, start again, wait, go back...
6/13 order confirmation, optics planet.
6/16 aurora il., label created.
6/17 fox valley il., received.
6/21 aurora, il., accepted.
6/21 chicago il. arrived.
6/21 chicago il., departed.
6/21 aurora il., arrived.
6/22 aurora il., departed.

tried making the cheekrest with kydex. there's a learning curve but easy enough, heat it in your oven to 325, then quick-like slap it on your form. hold the kydex to the form until it sets to shape. do it when the lady of the house is out or there may be fussiness. need to redo the form a little wider and shape it again. you can do that with kydex i've heard.

someone asked about the linkage and i finally took it apart to work on the trigger guard and for pics. yes, it just sits there, held in by the groove in the pistol grip, and the trigger return spring.
LUGO2743.JPG
LUGO2744.JPG
ETA: stock has shipped! or some such. friday, probably.
got my cheekpiece molded to my satisfaction, still a little trimming to do on it. kydex is easy to work.
ETA ETA: trimmed too much, gonna make another cheekrest from scratch.
Last edited by lurker on Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.