Help identify my Mauser?

I saw this and couldn’t pass it up. It’s in great physical condition, wood and metal wise.

Unfortunately I can’t quite determine the model or year. I think it’s a 1910 1893 model, based on some research of https://web.archive.org/web/20150325131 ... .us/Survey.

But my old eyes aren’t what they used to be. It’s allegedly chambered 7x57, which of course are crazy expensive.

Any thoughts?

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0xGdFryYG2VAcf

Re: Help identify my Mauser?

Likely a Spanish Mauser. It was either 7 or 8mm at first and might still be, but we would need to see the stock off to see if the barrel is marked as converted to NATO 7.62. You could take it to your LGS where they have 7x57, 8x57 and 7.62 NATO snap caps so you could safely check.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

mcdev wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:25 pm B9190EE7-A65F-4CB5-B54C-15CCA47395AC.jpeg

I’ll take it by tomorrow...may ask them to take it apart and clean it as well. It’s a Fabrica de Armas Oviedo, for certain. I found this other number under some gunk while messing with it a few minutes ago.
Likely the serial number. Does it have the Spanish Crown Stamp at the front of the receiver? If so it has some value since many of the military surplus Spanish Mausers have had the crown stamp ground off to lower their value. If it is a 1893 or 1895 7 X 57 you need to determine if it's a small ring or large ring. Search google on how to tell the difference. It's not difficult. Many of these rifles were converted to 7.62 NATO after World War 2.

Very cool, thanks!
harriss wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:20 pm
mcdev wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:25 pm B9190EE7-A65F-4CB5-B54C-15CCA47395AC.jpeg

I’ll take it by tomorrow...may ask them to take it apart and clean it as well. It’s a Fabrica de Armas Oviedo, for certain. I found this other number under some gunk while messing with it a few minutes ago.
Likely the serial number. Does it have the Spanish Crown Stamp at the front of the receiver? If so it has some value since many of the military surplus Spanish Mausers have had the crown stamp ground off to lower their value. If it is a 1893 or 1895 7 X 57 you need to determine if it's a small ring or large ring. Search google on how to tell the difference. It's not difficult. Many of these rifles were converted to 7.62 NATO after World War 2.

I emailed the gentleman that ran the archived site above, to get this thoughts. Here’s part of his reply, which is equally interesting in some ways.
Hooboy, it’s tough to tell what you have there. The serial number on the side rail appears to be O614? The other 1910 Model 1893’s that I have seen have a T or U prefix on the serial numbers. The barrel is certainly from a Model 1893. It looks like the barrel is about 25 inches long? Another interesting feature is that the crown above the “Fabrica de Armas Oviedo” has apparently been buffed off. That would suggest that it may have been used on the Republican side during the Spanish Civil War, or maybe the previous owner at some point was anti-monarchy. Looks to me like somone cut down the barrel to make a sporter.
So, meh. I have a box of 20 rounds I got for $14 at my lgs. I may take it out this weekend and run them through, the mount the gun as a decorative piece.

lurker wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:58 pm since it's marked oveido arms factory (en espanol), yeah, spanish. i believe the date is 1920.
This is correct. It’s a Spanish Model 1916, which was the updated version of the Model 1893. It’s a small-ring Mauser, which some shooters avoid but is perfectly fine to shoot with appropriate loads (assuming all else is OK with the rifle). The most obvious upgrades of the Model 1916 are visible in the OP’s photos: the curved thumb cut in the left side of the receiver, which aids in loading with stripper clips; the oval gas escape hole on the same side of the receiver; and the turned-down bolt handle. This one was made at Oviedo in 1920, per markings on top of the receiver.

I shot two hogs last week with my sporterized Oviedo Model 93.