How to mount new Crossfire II to my Ruger 10/22

Hi all,

I recently picked up a Crossfire II 3x9-40 but didn't get a mounting solution. The Ruger 10/22 is drilled for Ruger-based rings, and it comes with a picatinny rail that I can mount. The thing is, if I use the OEM picatinny, I lose use of the iron sights. I know there are "see through" rings for the Ruger to mount this 1" scope, but I hear they can raise the scope so high that you can't shoot with a proper cheek weld. So I'm curious what my best option is here. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
S

Re: How to mount new Crossfire II to my Ruger 10/22

Get used to the idea of not having the use of irons with the scope mounted. It's an 'either or' proposition.
ETA:
There is perhaps a solution, depending upon your skill set. The Ruger 96/22 and 77/22 sights are taller than the 10/22 sights. BUT...and this is hugely important...their dovetails are not sized for the 10/22. ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL THEM DIRECTLY TO A 10/22 WILL RUIN THE DOVETAIL CUT. They need shaping. Slow methodical fitting.

But there's no guarantee that these would be any better.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

CDFingers wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:37 pm Don't cut. There are low, medium, and high rings for the 10/22 for picatinny rails. I saw them at Sportsman's Warehouse some months back. googlefu

CDFingers
I probably wasn't clear...you don't shape the dovetail on the rifle, you fit the $13.00 sight to the rifle.
Saganesque wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:26 pm
But I have no idea what picatinny like this is known to be reliable.
It's a picatinny, as long as the mounting holes align, and it's not warped...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:29 pm
CDFingers wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:37 pm Don't cut. There are low, medium, and high rings for the 10/22 for picatinny rails. I saw them at Sportsman's Warehouse some months back. googlefu

CDFingers
I probably wasn't clear...you don't shape the dovetail on the rifle, you fit the $13.00 sight to the rifle.
Saganesque wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:26 pm
It's a picatinny, as long as the mounting holes align, and it's not warped...
How do you know which you need? Forgive me, I'm afraid I'm scope stupid. I have seen rings that mount right onto the Ruger, and others that attach to a rail. But a rail without that channel is going to block the sight. And I hear the "see through" ones that have a portal under the rings set the scope too high.
“This aggression will not stand, man.” — The Dude

Any rail made for the 10/22 will have its mounting holes configured to fit. I'm not familiar with the various rings available, there may be some rail types that leave open space for viewing under the scope, but I'm not knowledgeable along those lines.

I have a rifle that, should I wish to use the iron sights, I'll just remove the optic. But I haven't seen any reason to that yet.
We Are So Screwed

The 10/22 is the entry point to Adult Lego sets like the AR platform. There are so many after market parts for the 10/22 that I have one at home serves as a vacuum cleaner: I can clean the baseboards from across the room. Shop around. The thing you want to do has maybe a dozen options.

You might have a few parts left over when you get it all tricked out. You put those parts in your Adult Lego box, see.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Just my recommendation.
Forget the see-through rings.
Get a Picatinny rail like the one you pictured. Get a pair of Picatinny or Weaver-style rings. This makes for a very secure system. If you think you'll want to switch to the irons in the field, get rings that that either have a quick-disconnect lever, or that have a thumbscrew or slotted screw on the side.
Take the scope and rings off the base when you want to use the irons. Check zero when you put the scope back on.

Saganesque wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:26 pm Thanks for the replies.

I've seen some aftermarket rails that have a space cleared through the center to allow use of the iron sights, like this one:

https://www.combathunting.com/Ruger_10_ ... Mount.html

It's on sale right now for $8... shipping is $10. It's a good flexible solution.
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT