Re: Semi-Auto Sten III Rebuild

Enlarged the cooling holes as much as I could with drill bits. Essentially just go bigger one bit at a time until you get too close to the edge for comfort then switch to filing and try and get the hole centered. An hour or so with a file today got the holes to a better place, should be good to ream out when my 5/16" reamer gets here
IMG_20200731_155221.jpg
Once the reamer does its job I should have some nice round holes.

Up next I'll work on doing the same thing with the charging handle slot. One thing I've noticed is that the drawings on the paper have a tendency to want to get rubbed off. For the larger cuts I'm going to drill the holes out to size then move on to the other holes, with the goal being that I can at least connect the holes if the drawing is gone.

I have pictures but they aren't actually that exciting. Drilled out all the points I had marked with a 1/8" bit then worked it up as bit as I could without getting outside the lines. I got the charging handle slot up to 1/4" before I decided it was good. Gotta get the holes expanded with a file to the edges then I'll start working with the dremel to cut out the holes.

I keep thinking of the same project. However, the Sten kits keep going up in price. I suspect that they will price themselves too high for a tinkering project, for me, in the near future.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40