Re: .45 ACP Mauser Conversion, it could be yours!

I think it depends on what you are going for. If its more of a scout rifle I'd say put the band on and depending on the length of the barrel chop it short(16-17) inches maybe even shorten the stock some.

If it's meant more in line with just converting the mauser to 45 and you want it to have that length to it then the bayonet lug will probably need to be ground down. I dont think you need to invest in another stock but that's up to you.

If the bayonet mount fits the thinnest part of the barrel, is it then too close to the muzzle to properly mount a bayonet? If so, do whatever you want cause it’s just window dressing if it’s there at all. If it’s possible to mount the bayonet, then do it right because bayonets are cool.

If the mount needs to be machined to fit the barrel step, you can send it to me and I’ll throw it on the mill.

I did some quick googling while the new CEO was babbling about how rich he was and it looks to me like the bayonet on K98's doesn't use the barrel as a mounting point (I based my plans on how the small ring mausers mount bayonets, oops) the setback of the lug from the barrel end is there so that the handle isn't directly under the muzzle. That would mean that you could probably mount a bayonet with less of a setback but you wouldn't be able to shoot it without messing up the handle of your bayonet.

98 bayonet mounted:

I'll take some pictures of how the step interacts with the lug.

shinzen wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm Two thoughts.
1) Can you reattach the piece you lopped off and use dowels and glue to make it work?
2) Please don't grind out the bayo lug. Since this is for a club giveaway anyway, we'll pay for a new stock.
I could reattach the cut piece but it wouldn't match the taper of the stock because I had to reshape (new) front of the stock to match the contour of the inside of the lug.

I'd rather go sporter than grind it with a dremel, if Marlene can mill out a nice cut I think that would be a nice look. If nobody actually cares about how the bayonet positions then I'd rather just go at it with a new stock.

offensivename wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:52 pm
Marlene wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:20 pm I think I still lean towards new stock.
I think this is realistically the best bet. I double checked and a VZ.24 stock should fit the 98 action without much effort so the cheaper stock is an option. I think the milling would be interesting but I think it would be hard to make look perfect without sending the barrel and stock along with the lug.
Order the stock. Send me a message with the receipt and I'll get you reimbursed.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

This isn't dead! I spend a good 20 minutes on hold with Numrich because my debit card had been frauded yet again. But got a new card set up and they took payment and the very nice woman assured me the new stock is ready to ship ASAP. Plan is to quickly reinlet for the receiver and bolt handle, then bring back the stock probably enough to give an inch to spare from the first barrel step from the muzzle, that should give some room to work if things get hairy.

Might need to give the bluing a first go. I have a swedish bayonet that needs a new finish.