Progress on a long time project

Popping up out of deep lurk.
A number of years ago I bought a VZ-24 that was one of 15,000 made for the Brazilian rebels of 1932 by Brno. It was in the standard 7x57 for Brazil's army. The rebellion failed and the rifles were taken over by the Policia Militaria (IIRC). Hard used is putting it mildly. The stock was unsalvagable and the barrel was a sewer pipe.

So, a Boyd's stock, a 19" 7x57 barrel from Sarco, parkerization and iron sights from a local smith and this is where I sit. I have tung oil on order to finish the wood and my next paycheck has a leather sling and a stock sock for ammo budgeted in.

As she is for now.

Beautiful job with the refinishing. You might not think of Parkerization as pretty but I do.

Ghost ring rear sight, classic ramp up front. Pretty sure he bought Williams.

I am hoping to get to the range tomorrow and test the new sights. The wood finish will hopefully arrive next week.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Re: Progress on a long time project

Yeah, it's been a slow process but actually getting full time hours thanks to the current mess (I was in the 1/3 not laid off at the hotel) I've been able to sink the money in to get it done.

She'll be a classic of the "Spend $600 to build a $200 rifle" genre but that's ok. A 7x57 carbine is as nice a carbine for up hear as you can hope for. There's nothing on this side of the Mississippi that can't be hunted with a 7 Mauser.

Edit: did a search. First post on winning this beastie was Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:52 pm. :roflmao: Glad I'm going to be able to take her into the woods this fall.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Can't get hotlinking to work because Google Photo is really :evil:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... pKVkZ3VVJB

Has the first two targets shot with the rifle. Left is first, 139 gr soft point Prvi Partizan PPU ammo. Dirt cheap and pretty damn good. Second is Winchester Super X 145 gr Power-Point. I'm hoping to find a 173 gr load for the next time but I'm pretty happy with the 139 gr. performance.

Range was only 25 meters as I was doing this between rains and I had no clue where the sights were. Smack on it would appear 8-)
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

harriss wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:12 pm Very nice small ring Mauser. The 2008 Blue Book says the Model 1932/34 Czech carbine made for Brazil is valued at $800 in 100% condition.
Large ring. Pure M98 as made by Brno. When I got it the stock was unsafe and the barrel was a sewer pipe so this is a better use for it.

CD: I'm thinking I want to let it be for a few weeks then I'll decide on more coats. I do want to pick up some beeswax based polish too.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:41 pm
harriss wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:12 pm Very nice small ring Mauser. The 2008 Blue Book says the Model 1932/34 Czech carbine made for Brazil is valued at $800 in 100% condition.
Large ring. Pure M98 as made by Brno. When I got it the stock was unsafe and the barrel was a sewer pipe so this is a better use for it.

CD: I'm thinking I want to let it be for a few weeks then I'll decide on more coats. I do want to pick up some beeswax based polish too.
OK. I have a standard 7 * 57 1916 Spanish Mauser and it is a small ring. The blue book doesn't say those Brno Mausers were shipped in standard 7 * 57. Because of that it is understood to have shipped as 8 * 57. If so it may have been rebarreled in standard 7 * 57 at some point in the past. Saami cartridge drawings indicate that the case head of the 7 mm and the 8 mm Mausers are identical.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/rifl ... -98-169739
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vz._24
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... g-Copy.pdf

Yeah, the 93 through 96 models had a slightly smaller barrel ring. For the 98 and the ring was increased to strengthen it.

7x57 has a lower pressure rating because the 93 was not as strong as the 98 but you can safely go +P in a 98 action. But it is not really necessary because the standard loads in 139 and 175 gr are capable of hunting anything in North America (though I'd sit at longer range with a scope for brown bears... ;)
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:18 pm Yeah, the 93 through 96 models had a slightly smaller barrel ring. For the 98 and the ring was increased to strengthen it.

7x57 has a lower pressure rating because the 93 was not as strong as the 98 but you can safely go +P in a 98 action. But it is not really necessary because the standard loads in 139 and 175 gr are capable of hunting anything in North America (though I'd sit at longer range with a scope for brown bears... ;)
That's why I prefer a Mauser over a Mosin.