Re: Thinking about a modern 22LR

When you guys say home defense, do you really mean Defense? I would like to believe that there’s a suitable softer recoiling defensive option out there for 80-year-olds, that doesn’t involve .22.

I have three .22s. A Ruger 10/22 rifle- used to introduce everyone I’ve ever taught how to shoot a rifle, a Charger takedown pistol - now set up with a brace, and a single shot Rossi combo .22/.410 that was made into a survival kit of sorts. The quality of the Rossi really surprised me, but it would be hard to argue with a decision to go 10/22. Huge amount of after market customizable parts online. You can go from $ to $$$$ depending on preferences. Several here suggested Tandemkross or Volquartsen trigger upgrades. Being the cheap bastard, I went with a Ruger BX and it was a huge improvement. Available 25 or 50 rd mags feed well.

My current fave is that Charger tho. Breaks down into a tiny package, very shootable with the brace, red dot, and .22 can. So much fun. So easy to carry.

DamnYankee wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:50 am When you guys say home defense, do you really mean Defense? I would like to believe that there’s a suitable softer recoiling defensive option out there for 80-year-olds, that doesn’t involve .22.
For most home defense needs I never quite understood the idea that a rifle is the best option. They are long and generally the spaces are small. Also most home defense situations do not seem to be scheduled and a rifle is generally not something you will have on you at all times.

In a home defense as opposed to during WalkAbout I always though a larger caliber revolver or semi-automatic made a lot of sense. I'll admit to being overly fond of the Big and Slow 45s, 45acp, 45ar or 45 Colt. Since there is no need to conceal while in your home a nice comfortable OWB holster and belt make a handy go anywhere in the house, do anything in the house and still make a good impression on any unwelcome guests fashion statement.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

bajajoaquin wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:06 pm I like me some single shots. I mean, totally opposite of a modern 22 that this thread is about
I use my CZ 452 as a single shot at times; easily converts back and forth. :sarcasm:

But I've must admit I'm intrigued by the Winchester Model 55 (2.0) since I learned of its existence.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

geno wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:12 pm
bajajoaquin wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:06 pm I like me some single shots. I mean, totally opposite of a modern 22 that this thread is about
I use my CZ 452 as a single shot at times; easily converts back and forth. :sarcasm:

But I've must admit I'm intrigued by the Winchester Model 55 (2.0) since I learned of its existence.
I had a Winchester 94 Dirty-Thirty saddle carbine that had been made in 1906 and was from a ranch here along the river.
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:38 pm
geno wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:12 pm

I had a Winchester 94 Dirty-Thirty saddle carbine that had been made in 1906 and was from a ranch here along the river.
I was referring to the second Winchester model 55; the Winchester model 55 semi automatic single shot (22 cal.), not the original model 55; which is why I consider it the 2.0 version.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

Still waiting for the Marlin 60 to get shipped; no ETA yet. However, my local LGS did have a sale on Ruger 10/22s and had a takedown among the mix so it followed me home. Seems to work jess fine but I'm still not as accurate with it as with my old JC Higgins. Magazines though simply don't seem to exist. Even the big box stores like Academy are out of stock and say they have no idea when they will get any in.
jim

Well, local LGS had a takedown Ruger 10/22 that had been a display items at a good price so it followed me home.

It's okay and certainly easier to clean than the old JC Higgins. It is also far more efficient at using up old ammo. But I still shoot the old JC Higgins better.

The Marlin is still on order and still no ETA.
jim