Thompson Center Compass 30-06 Round Feeding Issue

Tossing this out to the community, photos to come later when I get home: I recently purchased a TC Compass. Super sale display model, last one, missing all the documentation, and thoroughly inspected by other folks. I have had it out once to sight it in. It is accurate, fun, kicks like an angry horse. But with a full magazine (4-5 rounds), the bullet tip is not tipped up high enough to feed about half the time. When I push the bolt forward to load the round, the tip jams into the bottom edge of the feed ramp; the round won't load and the lead tip is deformed.

I have not been able to find reference to this issue online. The magazine and locking spots in the stock seem to line up fine, but my eyeball should not be an accurate reference point. I almost wonder if the magazine for another caliber was swapped to this rifle in some display-model shenanigans.

I am going to learn to hunt in an attempt to become a more well rounded human, and this is the rifle I chose to learn. At 39, I have enough to learn without having this issue in the field (not that I should need to quickly load a round following the first shot).

Please let me know your thoughts, opinions, insights. Thanks!

Re: Thompson Center Compass 30-06 Round Feeding Issue

Mason wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:12 am Dies it have that issue with three in the mag?
It has done it, but it is not as common. With a full mag, its over 50% of the time. I would guess with a half-full mag, its 20%. But take this with a grain of salt as I have only run a box of ammo thru it and I have not had time to fully address or inspect the issue. But it shouldn't be happening.

I'll followup with a better inspection report and photos later.

I did a quick check on line and see that the nag is plastic. A metal one can be adjusted with a needle nose pliers. One article claims the rifle is very nice for the money but the mag is the weak point.

Not sure what you are using for ammo but it could be COL. A 150 gr bullet that is a hollow point rather than a soft point might be reliable. The other thing might be just trying a different mag.

I have a TCC, too. When I realized the mags were plastic, I bought a spare. You never know when mags will disappear from the marketplace. I saw the .30-06 mags for about $25 online, so I would suggest getting a spare and comparing. Maybe contact the manufacturer and ask?

That mag is supposedly for both .270 Winchester & .30-06 and those cartridges aren't exactly the same size. However, I doubt the other TCC mags would allow your cartridges to fit except maybe the 300 Win Mag magazine, and it is a four round magazine. You probably have the right size mag, but something may be wrong with it.

Manual is here: https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/man ... 16_web.pdf
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Marlene wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:28 pm Contact the manufacturer. No need to act like it's anything but a new gun that should work perfectly.

If I was stuck troubleshooting, a replacement mag would be my first try, but with a new gun, I believe in making it someone else's problem as much as possible.
Yeah, I PMd AOTC the contact email and phone for support. I would still buy a second mag while they are around and, also, contact the manufacturer.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks all. I'm actually in the process of camouflaging the rifle, so was not able to reassemble and get good photos for you all. To respond to a few bits of good advice:
- I contacted TC. It should work right out of the box.
- The mag does say .270 and 30-06, which I thought odd as well. But the case dims are close enough to understand why they would be interchangeable. This is probably good example of an instance where some concessions were made to keep the rifle at the price point, which is valid.
- I will buy a second mag, maybe a third. 3 mags for all my guns is my personal standard anyway.
Thanks everyone!

aasoverteakettle wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:25 pm Check this out. Series of photos with 5 (top photo),4,3,2 (bottom photo) rounds. See the problem? No word from TC yet, but I’m in no rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can see what is happening but I know of no way to resolve it except just use three or four in the mag. Maybe after some use the spring won't "sproing" so much?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Honestly, having 3 or fewer rounds in the mag is fine. Again, it's a hunting rifle, I shouldn't need more than that in the mag. But it is odd that mine has this problem, and there are not other reports of it. I'm going to wait till I hear from TC before I do anything, but I believe I could shave a very small amount off the "lips" in a very specific area to solve the problem.

Thought you all would appreciate this finding.

Thanks!