Custom Remington 700 in 224 Valkyrie

OK, I have been lusting after the 224 Valkyrie round for a couple of years now. I built an AR in 224, but it is just not what I want. I have looked at some custom precision rifles that are ultra modern in their design, but even though they are bolt action, the have that evil black rifle look to them. So what I think might work for me is a custom made Remington 700 in 224 Valkyrie with a standard wood stock. It would look just like grandpa's deer rifle and not like an EBR. (and hopefully survive any future gun grabs)
Soooo.... does anyone have any comments or suggestions. Any idea where I could get a 700 rifle custom made. Sometimes I think I should just go buy a Savage and STFU
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Re: Custom Remington 700 in 224 Valkyrie

I really don't know since I don't know how much this kind of thing costs. I was hoping to buy different parts little at a time to spread the cost over a year or two. $1000 to 1200 for the gun itself maybe. A scope would come later.
The more I look at this, the more I realize I don't know squat about it!!!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I think the best approach for what you want is picking the right rifle to have re-barreled. That’s gonna be a little hard because the bolt face size is unusual.

Maybe see if a rifle you like was offered in 6.8 SPC (same unusual bolt face size)

Also, if it doesn’t have to fit in an AR, what advantages does Valkyrie have over a fast twist 22-250 or 22 PPC? Any 308-based rifle could be rebarreled to the 22-250 or 22 Benchrest and any of the cool little rifles in 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39 could be a PPC.

When you said custom 700 action and wood stock right away I thought ooh Hiker won the lottery. It won't be cheap. I really like your concept.

I did just a 15 - 20 min search and it appears that shooters want a little faster twist on the barrel than the current 1x7" twist to stabilize 90 gr bullets for better long range accuracy.

Good luck with your adventure.

Marlene wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:39 am I think the best approach for what you want is picking the right rifle to have re-barreled. That’s gonna be a little hard because the bolt face size is unusual.

Maybe see if a rifle you like was offered in 6.8 SPC (same unusual bolt face size)

Also, if it doesn’t have to fit in an AR, what advantages does Valkyrie have over a fast twist 22-250 or 22 PPC? Any 308-based rifle could be rebarreled to the 22-250 or 22 Benchrest and any of the cool little rifles in 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39 could be a PPC.
Marlene, as usual, brings up some good points. I browsed Remington's site just now, they don't offer a 6.8 SPC, nor a 224 Valkyrie so that might be a hard (albeit cool) rifle to build. Remington does offer a 22-250 in wood. As long as you get a 700 with a bolt and action length match your long range goal you can always just shoot it till the barrel wears out then rebarrel it.

Marlene wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:39 am I think the best approach for what you want is picking the right rifle to have re-barreled. That’s gonna be a little hard because the bolt face size is unusual.
That was sort of what I was hoping to do. But as I research this, I'm afraid it is going to be difficult to find and more expensive than I can afford.

eelj wrote:
it appears that shooters want a little faster twist on the barrel than the current 1x7" twist to stabilize 90 gr bullets for better long range accuracy.
Yep, the AR barrel I have is a 1x6.5 twist. Although I've been told that a longer barrel in 1x7 will spin the heavy 90 and 95 grain bullets just fine.

Spara wrote:
Why Valkyrie? I'm curious as to the purpose.
Stays supersonic to 1300 yards, with half the recoil of other long distance rounds. There is some anecdotal evidence that folks that shoot big rifle rounds have a greater incidence of detached retinas. So I can protect my eyes with this long distance, low recoil round. But the main reason is I love the story of how the round was named, and that name is part of a pagan pantheon.
224valkyriejersey2.jpg
offensivename wrote:
Remington does offer a 22-250 in wood.
I'm just not interested in other rounds.

While I am not ready to give up on this rifle, it is looking like it is going to be a difficult and expensive project. And until then I do have my AR rifle in 224 Valkyrie. The biggest problem I have is that I like guns too much, and there are always 3 or 4 that I want.

Hiker wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:18 pm
Remington does offer a 22-250 in wood.
I'm just not interested in other rounds.

While I am not ready to give up on this rifle, it is looking like it is going to be a difficult and expensive project. And until then I do have my AR rifle in 224 Valkyrie. The biggest problem I have is that I like guns too much, and there are always 3 or 4 that I want.
Fair enough. Quick digging to avoid work netted few options in Valkyrie out of the box. The only one in current production looks like the Mossberg MVP (which has a laminate wood option https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-pr ... fle-28034/) I have no idea what people think of Mossberg rifles though.

The Remington 700 previously came in 6.8 SPC it seems, you could always try keeping an eye out for one of those and then rebarrel it to Valkyrie. From what the google was telling me though they're hard to come by because they're in demand for people doing exactly what you want.

offensivename wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:38 pm
The Remington 700 previously came in 6.8 SPC it seems, you could always try keeping an eye out for one of those and then rebarrel it to Valkyrie. From what the google was telling me though they're hard to come by because they're in demand for people doing exactly what you want.
Although there does appear to be one on gunbroker for $825

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858073635

Looking at the Howa action and it looks like it could be altered for bolt face recess size too.

I think Pacific Tool and Gauge might make a replacement bolt for the 700 with the right bolt face. That would mean you could just get the 700 you want, replace the barrel and bolt and you should be close. Probably best to strt with a gun in 223 for magazine and feeding purposes, but I'm not certain.