Re: Afforable .308 hog hunting rifle?

When I was shopping my 308, I really thought I'd like the Savage Hog Hunter, until I handled it. The stock "felt" cheap, flexy, and weak. I get they have to trim costs somewhere though. The Mossberg felt more sold and substantial. Don't know about the Ruger. For glass, it's hard to drop more for the scope than you spent on the rifle. But there are some decent scopes for general purpose and hunting that aren't NCStarish. Research the fixed power SWFA SS for about $300.
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

eelj wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:07 am My wife won a Ruger American in 243 in a drawing a few years ago. I think for the money they are a very good deal. Ugly as sin but that can be taken care of in the future if person wants.

Can't believe how well it shoots. For a hunting rifle I like light and handy.
Here in California with the new non-lead law, no alloy has yet emerged to give hunters here more than about 90 grains with the .243. Makes for a very pleasant shoot, but limits the size of game that can be taken without excellent marksmanship.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

If your still looking for suggestions from the peanut gallery and if you end up going the used route; I'd mention the Winchester model 54. Overshadowed by the model 70, it doesn't seem to be nearly as valuable in good used condition, and yet its 1920's-1930's quality and Mauser 98 type action. If its been drilled and tapped for a scope mount (like mine) its worth even less. I watched a nice carbine last year in 30-06 that ended up selling for $300.00. While 30-06 is probably the most common, they also came in 30-30 and .270 among about ten other calibers. They've also have been converted to .308 by folks using a model 70 barrel. Although mine was made in 1934 it could easily be mistaken for a gun ten or fifteen years old.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

geno wrote:If your still looking for suggestions from the peanut gallery and if you end up going the used route; I'd mention the Winchester model 54. Overshadowed by the model 70, it doesn't seem to be nearly as valuable in good used condition, and yet its 1920's-1930's quality and Mauser 98 type action. If its been drilled and tapped for a scope mount (like mine) its worth even less. I watched a nice carbine last year in 30-06 that ended up selling for $300.00. While 30-06 is probably the most common, they also came in 30-30 and .270 among about ten other calibers. They've also have been converted to .308 by folks using a model 70 barrel. Although mine was made in 1934 it could easily be mistaken for a gun ten or fifteen years old.
Oh damn, good to know! Maybe I'll get lucky and find one in a pawn shop around here.

My honest opinion is that that looks like an awful hunting rifle, mainly due to the completely unnecessary huge box magazine right at the balance point. I think that will be crappy to shoot from any position. There is really no reason for more than three rounds in a hunting rifle. You started the thread with that as your stated goal. Even if you don’t hunt that giant box will still be a PITA at the bench. It’s Your money but from the point of view of a hunter that gun is no bueno.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Sorry for the not great pictures. My hunting rifle

Marlin XL7 stainless .30-06 - $280
Boyd’s Feather Light thumbhole laminate stock - $100
Nikon 1-4 x 20 scope -$300

I may switch up the scope for a 3-9 x 40 now that my primary hunting area has changed. It’s around six pounds. The thumbhole helps with the recoil on such a light rifle. It has a three round blind magazine - no cold metal base plate at the carry point. The targets illustrate accuracy at 100yds. You could probably find one for a song at a pawn shop.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese
Attachments
DC86B7F3-F1F2-4356-822B-8D48A0321DA7.jpeg
692FEA21-7602-4B94-B964-A040B26D2DE9.jpeg

The great thing is that we have so many good choices.

I bought an inexpensive bolt gun in 5.56 and it was fine - until I bought the CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Now I want the CZ in 5.56 instead of the Thompson Center I own, but I don't need it.

Best of luck in your journey. I hope you find what you want the first time. :)
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Personally I don't like box mags of any size. A top feed mag well with a hinged floor plate is ideal, but a blind mag is also better than a bottom feed mag. For the money the Ruger American is a hell of a deal. But boy it sure is ugly. Plastic stock with molded in trigger guard and the finish looks like rustoleum primer sprayed on with a rattle can. But it's an accurate barrel with a very fine trigger out of the box. For that matter the savage has a reputation for being a very good rifle for the money.

I assume you meant 7.62x51 but I'll suggest another .30 cal, the 300HAMR. It's custom made for hog hunting, mags and BCG are common to a .223/5.56 AR so if you already have an AR all you need is barrel on a stripped upper. This caliber almost requires reloading as Wilson Combat so far is the sole source. I get sub moa accuracy at 2700fps with 27gr CFEBLK under a 125gr Speer TNT. The ammo is based on .223 brass and is easy to convert from range pickups or you can buy Starline. Since paying $3000 for a Wilson built "Gucci Gun" offends my sensibilities I built mine for much, much less. Are you sure you want a bolt gun for hogs? I'm not that brave.
"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" - Emiliano Zapata

eelj wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:10 pm Personally I don't like box mags of any size. A top feed mag well with a hinged floor plate is ideal, but a blind mag is also better than a bottom feed mag. For the money the Ruger American is a hell of a deal. But boy it sure is ugly. Plastic stock with molded in trigger guard and the finish looks like rustoleum primer sprayed on with a rattle can. But it's an accurate barrel with a very fine trigger out of the box. For that matter the savage has a reputation for being a very good rifle for the money.
The Savage Axis II seems to have a good trigger. Savage and Ruger prices are really good right now. Ammo prices for 308 aren't so wonderful lately.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Dreamsinger wrote:I assume you meant 7.62x51 but I'll suggest another .30 cal, the 300HAMR. It's custom made for hog hunting, mags and BCG are common to a .223/5.56 AR so if you already have an AR all you need is barrel on a stripped upper. This caliber almost requires reloading as Wilson Combat so far is the sole source. I get sub moa accuracy at 2700fps with 27gr CFEBLK under a 125gr Speer TNT. The ammo is based on .223 brass and is easy to convert from range pickups or you can buy Starline. Since paying $3000 for a Wilson built "Gucci Gun" offends my sensibilities I built mine for much, much less. Are you sure you want a bolt gun for hogs? I'm not that brave.
That's actually quite an interesting idea. I ended up buying a Ruger American Predator in 308win, but your option might not have been a bad one if I already had a reloading setup, which I don't but I likely will in the future. I'll look into it some more :)

Resized9520200507951640582.jpg
Resized952020050795163741.jpg
This is a Savage Axis my dad won in a raffle a few years back, Its .308, I think its like a 5 rd mag and has a bushnell scope on it. I think it would be a solid, cheap gun for hog hunting. I think you can get them for about $300

ignore the kind of bend in the bottom picture, I tried to use the panorama function on my phone camera to get the whole rifle in shot and it gave it a weird bend.

ARC1107 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:06 pm Resized9520200507951640582.jpgResized952020050795163741.jpg

This is a Savage Axis my dad won in a raffle a few years back, Its .308, I think its like a 5 rd mag and has a bushnell scope on it. I think it would be a solid, cheap gun for hog hunting. I think you can get them for about $300

ignore the kind of bend in the bottom picture, I tried to use the panorama function on my phone camera to get the whole rifle in shot and it gave it a weird bend.
Damn, for a minute I thought that was one of those shooting around corners rifles! :clap2:
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

I think the sling helps either way. A good sling can make all the difference after the first mile. Everything being equal, a lighter 308 can have more recoil but is easier to carry around. I prefer a lighter rifle, too.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt