FN FAL - Coolest "wrong" rifle ever

So yeah, I'm a FAL fanboy; they're just so cool in just about every way.

But militarily and historically, the FAL was the most magnificent WRONG rifle.

Lead by the US, the west just missed the boat on the assault rifle. The FAL was a magnificent rifle, but it (and all the other .308's) were just the wrong rifle in the age of the Assault Rifle. The supposedly backwards Soviets got it. They built a rifle for the next war while the west built a better rifle for the last war.

Still, I just love the FAL.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: FN FAL - Coolest "wrong" rifle ever

i've admired the FAL from the context of its counterpart the m14, and agree, magnificent weapons, 15 years too late. some of it was because the m1 was so good, probably the first and last time the US has had the best standard issue individual weapon in the world. i can understand the russian's appreciation of the german stg concept, because they very nearly succumbed to the german war machine and knew it. we never got that close, and while we learned some lessons on the evolution of warfare (air superiority for one), that particular one eluded us until the mid-late 60s. even so, i don't see either the AR or the AK as the ideal solution. not sure the ideal solution currently exists. and when it does, the ideal will move.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

It's a good looking rifle. A lot of good looking, well built, but expensive to produce firearms might be theoretically better than the AK, SKS, etc. Sometimes simple and inexpensive is just better.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

i've written a lengthy piece about this on another forum.
if we're on opposite sides of the valley, i'll want the FAL. or an air strike. if we're on opposite sides of the room after dragging our rifles through the mud for a week, i'll want the ak.
"quantity has a quality all its own" - j stalin
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:17 pm i've written a lengthy piece about this on another forum.
if we're on opposite sides of the valley, i'll want the FAL. or an air strike. if we're on opposite sides of the room after dragging our rifles through the mud for a week, i'll want the ak.
:roflmao: True! True! True!

If I had to make that choice, I'd take an AK74 and a radio with the option of air support.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

lurker wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:17 pm i've written a lengthy piece about this on another forum.
Well said.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

No parts interchange, save for the use of the Hensoldt 4X optic used on both rifles.

The HK is a recoil operated, roller-locked design. Pressed steel TIG welded receiver; simple, robust, & cheap.(?)

The FAL utilizes a gas-operated piston system. A machinist' triumph of design, lots of 'fitting' done.

Both are very reliable.

My 3 FAL's are home-built from parts. Para, carbine, rifle.

I can't pick a fav, they are like your kids. :love:

SR
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."