Re: I swore I'd never get an ar

I used to say that, too. Then the prices dropped below AK prices and to SKS levels. Of course, if AK-74s were still widely available, I wouldn't have bothered with an AR.

They are really ergonomic and light, eh? Glad you like it!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Got mine after the dumpster got elected and prices were reasonable. Pretty much stock cept for the AT3 red dot. And I'm kinda sceptical of having a battery powered optic on it. Just because if I need it for defensive situations the battery could be dead. And then have to pop off protective caps. If it were just a range toy that would be ok. I like iron sights.
AR 5.56 AT- RD-50.jpg
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:26 am Yeah, I thought so too. Then I saw the Windham Hunter...And I don't even hunt!
20190727_Windham.jpg
Still jealous.
tonguengroover wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:14 pm Got mine after the dumpster got elected and prices were reasonable. Pretty much stock cept for the AT3 red dot. And I'm kinda sceptical of having a battery powered optic on it. Just because if I need it for defensive situations the battery could be dead. And then have to pop off protective caps. If it were just a range toy that would be ok. I like iron sights.

AR 5.56 AT- RD-50.jpg
Just practice using the red dot as a ghost ring sight at 10 yards. For home defense, you don't have to use the red dot if you don't have time. Or, point shoot drills. Home defense is pretty close quarters distance.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:43 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:26 am Yeah, I thought so too. Then I saw the Windham Hunter...And I don't even hunt!
20190727_Windham.jpg
Still jealous.
I'd prefer envious!

Just have to decide that it's the worth the money to you. Depending on where you are, you may be able to get one, new for around $1200, to $1300.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

20190727_Windham.jpg
So...today I was working on cleaning up the mini-rifle safe to hold 3 rifles and I noticed that the Windham's 5-round mag is actually a pinned 10-rounder. 2 things: 1) I don't hunt and 2) 10 round magazines are compliant in NJ.

So, a quick trip to the drill press to drill out the pin (a pop-rivet) et Voila! Another 10-round magazine!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I suspect this is might really be a stupid question, so asking for forgiveness in advance. I think of myself as more of a hobbyist/collector than anything else--I enjoy target shooting, I won't hunt unless I need to for survival (or maybe asked to for conservation, but still, I'd want food to be in the equation)...but is there a currently available rifle, semi-auto, that aesthetically mimics the original M-16? I know there are many similar, but I'm interested in the aesthetics.

Just interested in the nostalgia for the rifle I trained on years back. Outside of collecting, I don't really have a need for a semi-auto.
"...You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it." --F Scott Fitzgerald, from "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button."

BluVett wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:57 pm I suspect this is might really be a stupid question, so asking for forgiveness in advance. I think of myself as more of a hobbyist/collector than anything else--I enjoy target shooting, I won't hunt unless I need to for survival (or maybe asked to for conservation, but still, I'd want food to be in the equation)...but is there a currently available rifle, semi-auto, that aesthetically mimics the original M-16? I know there are many similar, but I'm interested in the aesthetics.

Just interested in the nostalgia for the rifle I trained on years back. Outside of collecting, I don't really have a need for a semi-auto.
Depends on what you mean by "aesthetically mimics". Do you mean the stock and carry-handle sight? Do you want it in .223/5.56 or .308/7.62x51? Or something else?
Something like this?

I like the original m16 look. Nothing wrong with that. I had a chance to buy one about 10 years ago. And it was actually made by Armalite!!! Just couldn't justify spending the money at that time. One of many that I let slip through my fingers!!! :weep: :weep: :weep:
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:43 pm
BluVett wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:57 pm I suspect this is might really be a stupid question, so asking for forgiveness in advance. I think of myself as more of a hobbyist/collector than anything else--I enjoy target shooting, I won't hunt unless I need to for survival (or maybe asked to for conservation, but still, I'd want food to be in the equation)...but is there a currently available rifle, semi-auto, that aesthetically mimics the original M-16? I know there are many similar, but I'm interested in the aesthetics.

Depends on what you mean by "aesthetically mimics". Do you mean the stock and carry-handle sight? Do you want it in .223/5.56 or .308/7.62x51? Or something else?
Something like this?

Yep, something like that exactly. Is that a Windham? Caliber's not a huge issue for me, my only other higher power rifle is a 308, so I guess would simplify things.

Thanks gang, I appreciate the responses--and knowing I'm apparently not the only one!
"...You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it." --F Scott Fitzgerald, from "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button."