Picking a caliber

So, I stumbled in to a M1a Socom with a bad barrel. Getting it back running is about the same regardless of caliber choice, add a couple hundred and it could be the longer barrel configuration too.

So, 308? 338 Federal? 358 Winchester? Seems like the fatter bullets go well with the stubby barrel for a woods gun. It also overcomes the accuracy shortcomings of the format, not trying to turn the far-beyond-223 power of the 308 case into greater reach, but rather into greater whump.

Between 338 and 358 there’s the balance between beloved old sledgehammer and young upstart with better commercial availability. Here’s the thing, I’m into the project but maybe won’t keep it, so commercial ammo makes a thing more saleable.

What do you think?

Re: Picking a caliber

I think 308 would be more saleable; but I don't reload and I have told myself no more calibers, for now.
But I do think the 358 Winchester, would make a very interesting heavy brush/woods type rifle, and you only have to find
one other person who thinks its a good idea and wants it to sell it.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

If you're not going to keep it, common will sell better than weird, except to us weirdos. But you know that. So if you're going to go weird, may as well go real weird. They are, IMO, too heavy for a reasonable woods gun.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

This sounds like a fun project. I'll say .308 also for saleability. I suspect you might be making it to make it, so, maybe sell. For me, making is cooler to do somehow.

Yeah, pics yeah, which enables kibitzing.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Anything but a semi-auto and I'd be rooting for the .358 Win. With reduced powder charges you can load .357 handgun bullets and use them for plinking up to whitetail. BUT, one has to assume that you would be turning your M1A into a straight pull bolt action. Which wouldn't be a deal killer for me.
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic