Re: Judgepacker. You have not seen a Mosin like this before.

shinzen wrote:.310 due to an email getting stuck in my drafts folder. The plus side is I'll be able to shoot surplus to see how it does with that compared to my handloads. Prior to the barrel swap it still put down some pretty good groups, which I forgot to take pictures of.
Know what? I think that's the best choice. I don't suffer a lack of bullet choices. My Mosin slugs to 0.3095. I have loaded SMK, Hornady Match, Sierra soft point, Hornady soft point, Prvi Partizan solids and soft point, pulled bullets from surplus (weigh and sort 'em!), Hornady SST, and a few more, all in 0.310" to 0.312" diameter.

I've not noticed any lack of bullets!

Regards,

Josh

Re: Judgepacker. You have not seen a Mosin like this before.

Ok. Got to do a first run out with the newly upgraded Mosin today. I did screw up a bit and got the barrel a little warmer than I intended, as I'd forgotten how long it takes a bull barrel to heat up and then cool down.

Overall decent, was just going through some stuff I'd loaded previously so no load work up here. I expect it will get better as I get accustomed to it and find the sweet spot for the load.

I'm also going to stop using the Lee FCD for this rifle, at least for now, as I'm single loading it anyway. Still need to work on the right .02 off the lands length, now I have some fired cases to do so with.

All said and done, it was, without tuning, damn close a 1MOA gun today. I also still have yet to bed the receiver- I'm shooting to get it to .75".

Walking it to sight in at 25 yards- used the 174SMK's with 51.5GR of 5150. Last few were one ragged hole.

Since it's a Mosin, had to shoot some surplus as well. Pushed out to 100 yards for the rest of these strings.

A couple of them shooting high, might have been the barrel- The shots felt good. Also might have been me. 147GR Bulgarian Ball ammo which performed ok for me prior to the barrel swap
IMG_20150524_103047037.jpg

This was the last two shots with 52.5GR of 5350 with the 174's. Boneheaded and shot the previous three (of the only 5 I'd brought) at a different part of the target. Was promising though
IMG_20150524_111529233.jpg
Close to the best overall group of the day at 100 yards that I remembered to snap a picture of. I think I had one that was marginally better on my other sheet. 5 shot string, two in one hole. We'll get to cloverleafs. This was 51.5GR of 5350 with the 174's
IMG_20150524_111524756.jpg
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Attachments
IMG_20150524_111740213.jpg