Afforable .308 hog hunting rifle?

Wild hogs are a popular game down here in Florida and they're such a nuisance species that the state has pretty much declared permanent open season on them. So I've been considering getting a 308 bolt action for hog hunting. I want something affordable that I could eventually screw a can on to. I was looking at the Ruger American Hunter and the CZ 557, but was hoping for some other affordable suggestions from the peanut gallery here. Also, I've read a bit about hog hunting with the right 223 ammo but opinions are kind of mixed on that. Any thoughts?

Re: Afforable .308 hog hunting rifle?

I really would forget .223 for hogs. Too much chance for unhappy endings.

They way you describe what you want, I'd be looking on the used market for a particularly sweet deal. Someone should want a fast sell on something in the .308 ballistic range.
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

Florida has a thriving used gun market. The FL Gun Trader site is active. I used to work with a lot of guys who shopped on it. Pawn shops used to post on it, so truckin' around wasn't the only option.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

kronkmusic wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:20 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 pm Not going for an AR-10?
I was thinking about it, but do I really want to invest $1000 into another build that will pretty much only be used for hunting when I can get a serviceable bolt action for less than half the cost? Already got an AR-15 for range fun/SHTF

Hit your local pawn shops and used gun dealers. I picked up a used .308 Bushmaster for well under $1K. With a 3x-9x Vortex scope (around $200 as I recall) and a Magpul bipod) (military quality and around $100) I can consistently hit a man-sized (hog-sized?) target at 300 yards. Could probably go past 300 yards but that's the extent of our range. It's been super reliable running cheap Russian steel cased ammo. Very, very happy with the combination.

foghorn wrote:Mossberg MVP 308. Uses AR10 mags. Several versions already threaded, I like the Talo I have. Much like this one.
Those things look awesome, a very modern take on a bolt action hunting rifle. I like that they take AR-style mags so I can get a bunch of inexpensive Magpul mags and they'll work if I ever decide to build an AR-10. Not a make-or-break feature for me but definitely convenient.

I haven't had much luck on FL gun trader so far. Maybe I should spend my next day off hitting the local pawn shops and see what I can find. I'd imagine certain used bolt actions can be had for stupid cheap when you find the right deal, I feel like they're one of those guns that gets left behind when you send dad to a home and the kids live in the city now and don't get out hunting much anymore.

A question for everyone here: do you like a lighter weight (6-7lbs) hunting rifle for the sake of carrying it through the woods all day or do you prefer a heavier (8-10lbs) rifle for shooting comfort and stability? That's kinda the last big question I have to answer for myself before diving in on something.

K9s wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:14 pm You aren't going to be shooting it a lot, but you will be carrying it. Go light if this is even a question for you. A good sling can make all the difference, though.
senorgrand wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:22 pm depends...if you are already a good shot, light. if this is also a training platform, then go with a heavier barrel as the poi of 308 will change pretty significantly after about the third shot in a lightweight barrel.
So I am a pretty decent shot, at least with ARs, 10/22s, PCCs, and certain handguns. I don't have much experience with bolt action but I feel rifle fundamentals are pretty transferable. If lighter weight is the way to go, then why not this with a cold hammer forged threaded barrel and pic rail for $350 brand new with factory warranty? The 22" model might be better if I wasn't hot to slap a can on it.

Is there a better option under $400 without going to the used market?

And I guess I have to ask about glass too, but that's a whole other can o' worms.